Gameboy emulator for SPV - ALPHA code

Guest spacemonkey

does anyone know where i can get emulator downloads of my current game boy games.

( i belive if i own the original i can download the emulator game is this correct)

well done space monkey that looks wicked, will be downloading it l8r.

Guest spacemonkey

The legality of ROMS:

Basically if you own a game it is counted as fair use for you to have other copies of that game for your own purposes (such as running on other platforms) Various places will offer advice and legal tools to copy your own games to another format.

Sites that provide ROM files themselves for download, even where they state that this service is only for legitimate owners have been successfully shut down by intellectual property owners across the entire spectrum of Emulation.

So, just a word of warning. Don't post about illegal ROMs or ROM sites on this forum, and also don't think that you can legally host ROMs for others (if your site becomes big Nintendo WILL go after you).

Individual actions/research beyond that scope are of course an individuals rights.

The post above linking GambitStudios offers a selection of genuinely freeware ROMs.

Guest crimminsky

Hey Spacemonkey, I've just got home and followed your steps, when I execute thr gnuboy file it tries to load but just bombs me out to the game menu screen....Am I supposed to do something with the souce files??? or is it just the game (jet pac dx)? I renamed etc....

Guest spacemonkey

Um... it'll bomb out if the file is called romfile.gbc and in storage card (not a sub directory of storage card) but other than that... dunno

You don't need to do anything with the source, cos it's GPL software I posted the source as that is part of the GPL rules.

I'm off home now anyway, I'll update the exe so that if it doesn't find a file it'll give a sensible message before bombing out to establish if this is your problem. I'll post when the updated exe is there.

PS - there seems to be something weird on the forum, where when someone posts and it pushes the thread out by a page it won't show that next page until another different person posts... (paul???)

Guest Shuflie

If you downloaded from the freeware site it looks like only some of their ROMs are compatible. Breakout works but any of the others I'd tried don't. I think it is because they are repackaged for a different emulator.

Guest spacemonkey

gambitstudios does a Palm handheld gameboy emulator, so if the file it's giving you is a pdb it'll be no good cos it's a palm version one. Breakout has a pdb and a gb and the gb works.... I hadn't tried any of the others.

Oh, and that could be criminsky's problem, if the file is renamed and in the right place it might be a bad rom file for some reason. The support for different games should be pretty good cos GnuBoy originally was supposed to be fairly high quality, but I haven't tested many different ones.

Guest crimminsky

You can store multiple roms in a different folder on the SD/MMC card and just use all explorer to move and rename different games whilst on the move......oh happy days...... ;)

dont forget to delete the romfile.000 each time though....

Guest crimminsky

Spacemonkey, anychance you could change the soft keys to 7 and 9...I can't fire very well and move the joypad at the same time... (some people are never happy) ;) if not I understand or is there something simple in the source code that I could change?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Sorry to be a pain but it's bombing out on me as well ;)

I've placed the files on the storage card and renamed the rom file to .gbc

ie breakout.gbc

and still no luck all I get is a black screen for anout a second?

Guest awarner [MVP]
change breakout.gbc to romfile.gbc and away you go ;)

I did that with another rom and no luck :cry: but I did that with this one and

away I go :lol: :lol: :D

Cheers

One question and only a question :D how hard would it be to have sound?

I ask because I'm playing Jet Set Willy and I miss the sound :( or is it down to

whoever makes the rom?

Guest WashTap

Damn it ... I was almost done ... just having sound problems and somebody finishes the GameBoy port before I did!!!

Oh well ... time to put the phone to some real use!

Thanks!!!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Battleships at last. For all of 10 secnds, first itme i've ever had to remove the battery to kill my phone. nm, on to the next rom...

Guest crimminsky

Awarner.......I don't know that one, we'll have to wait for spacemonkey to get home and log on again........you could always download the mp3, I think it goes something like If I was a rich man...da da da da da de de......and play it on media player in the background ;)

I've been fiddling with this for a coupla days now and it shouldn't be too hard to get at least basic changes on the code. Stick to puzzle games like Pokémon or Zelda and it'll run fine..

Guest spacemonkey

I just put up a new build... nothing much changed... all I've done is explicitly disable the sound, where as previously sound was running but not working.

This results in slightly higher framerate.

Anyway, as to sound... it should just be a case of rewritting a couple of simple routines after figuring out how the hell SPV sound works, after that I'd put a menu item in for sound on/off so you could choose speed vs noise.

This is pre release remember, enjoy it as it is and me or anyone else who wants to will make it better. I'm not gonna do anything on it tonight cos I'm nackered and need to get some sleep.

Edit - emad if you wanted to play tonight... the wave.cpp is the bit that fields sound from the emulator and throws it at whatever hardware is in the pocketpc. pcm_submit or something like that I think is the output routine... didn't look too hard. - Edit