Attention ALL C550 users!

Guest nuke

I'm not very creative...BUT maybe if we were all to start complaining to orange that no apps are working for the C550 they may consider a major rom update- possibly WM5. Just a thought:

So if we start sending complaints they should obviously have a structure. Here is what we say:

- New apps are only being designed for WM5 QVGA screen phones.

- Previous apps are only compatible with the older non-QVGA phones and do not work on the C550.

-In other words, you've given us an 'in-between' phone that hardly any apps work on because it has: 1) WM2003SE, 2) QVGA screen.

- Then, ask them if there is any prospect of Windows Mobile 5 coming out for C550.

If enough customers complain to Ornge with the same argument, they might consider.

Obviously don't just read out what i've written because they'll know somethings up, ive just mentioned the base points that should be in the complaint.

*ahum*, i think this number should work: 0800 079 2000

WOW i just noticed the C550 is on for £130 PAYG...

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset...l/pay_as_you_go

Edited by nuke

Guest hotphil

Not to put a downer on it, but I suspect the response will be something like "why did you buy it then?" or "you need to speak to the developer of the application" or "we only support applications we sell/supply for use with the C550". I'm guessing that any ROM update to a new OS would mean Orange having to hand over licensing cash to MS and I can't see it happening.

Perhaps I'm just feeling a bit down today as it's taken OCS 6 days of constant calling to work out that a broken SIM in my C550 means I need a new SIM.

I'll give them a call like you suggest when I'm feeling a bit more "up", maybe Monday.

Not to put a downer on it, but I suspect the response will be something like "why did you buy it then?" or "you need to speak to the developer of the application" or "we only support applications we sell/supply for use with the C550". I'm guessing that any ROM update to a new OS would mean Orange having to hand over licensing cash to MS and I can't see it happening.

Perhaps I'm just feeling a bit down today as it's taken OCS 6 days of constant calling to work out that a broken SIM in my C550 means I need a new SIM.

I'll give them a call like you suggest when I'm feeling a bit more "up", maybe Monday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A good point, but the sheer number of people may be enough to make them consider. It's worth a shot ;)

It's a nice idea, but it would never work. Not only does O have a reputation of ignoring this forum, but as mentioned above, they are not repsonsible for the fact that developers are not releasing qvga apps. & from their point of view, why give a WM5 update to an old model when they are just about to release a new phone with that on it? Doesn't make much business sense, & O are if nothing else, a business.

Guest Disco Stu

The costs of developing / adapting the software would simply not be justified by the small number of Orange C550 owners who are demanding it.

Think of how many C550s are being sold in comparison to any random Nokia, Moto, SE etc.

Now think of how many of those C550 owners actually know what a ROM is or whether it might be slightly improved by the addition of WM05.

As DrBlow says, Orange is a business and they are no good to us if they make losses.

Guest davejerome

Interesting. How about the evil M$ Corp? Are they not going to sell a WM5 package. Could make them a few quid. And if any company likes to make a few quid its M$

There was a post on a WM5 upgrade by Sporkguy about a month back: http://www.modaco.com/Official_Word_On_C60...fi-t229836.html

I realise that there have been some questions regarding the reliability of this information, but I'd like to hope that Orange is going to release a ROM update to WM5. I think they are having difficulty shifting the C550 - it is getting cheaper and cheaper - due to its limitations. One way to solve it would be to update it to WM5.

Guest Disco Stu

I imagine they want to shift whatever stock of the C550 they have so that they can drop it completely when the C600 is fully released.

Surely the clue is in the naming of this SPV model - C500+1/2 ! ;)

Guest Pondrew

Wouldn't it be nice though if Orange DID offer both a compact business style Smartphone like the C600 AND a more music based model like the C550. I'm guessing the 'no wifi' rule means they won't offer the HTC Tornado music version anytime soon...

orange are not doing this and its a fact. I have asked them dozons of times and the answer was no.

it would also be unfair on the C500 range, which can run WM2005

typical orange. they want you to fork out more rather than have a good experience. It's a business strategy apperently

Guest Pondrew

The C500 is discontinued so that won't come into it. Probably right though bout the business strategy. They want to sell the C600 and they may sell more if C550 owners start to feel left behind... :?:

I wouldn't rule out the update though. Just because Orange say something doesn't make it so...

I imagine they want to shift whatever stock of the C550 they have so that they can drop it completely when the C600 is fully released.

Surely the clue is in the naming of this SPV model - C500+1/2 !  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm ... if that were true then when my C550 breaks, they would have to send me a C600 as a replacement! Now, wouldn't that be an unfortunates series of events!! :twisted:

Guest davejerome

As if, Orange have many C550's as replacement handsets for anybody that may damage theirs. If fact they only recently ran out of sony T610 replacements. They are stocked up!

Hmm ... if that were true then when my C550 breaks, they would have to send me a C600 as a replacement! Now, wouldn't that be an unfortunates series of events!!  :twisted:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest hotphil
orange are not doing this and its a fact. I have asked them dozons of times and the answer was no.
LOL - as if you can believe anything Orange say over the phone!

As for having sufficient stocks for replacements, I'm pretty convinced they will have. And don't forget that for replacements I'm pretty sure they reserver the right to replace a faulty one with a refurb one - the chances of getting a C600 in exchange for a faulty C550 must be very very close to zero!