Can't connect to wifi network with Exec

Guest telthenipper

Guest telthenipper

Hi,

I have a XDA Exec and I am very happy with it so far, but I can't seem to connect it to my wireless network. To take advantage of the Exec's wifi capabilities, I bought a USB Wireless adaptor. I've plugged this in to my USB port on my PC and it seems to be working fine, but the thing is I can't seem to connect my Exec to my network. I've enabled the wifi on the Exec and it just keeps saying 'connecting' it doesn't seem to actually connect to the network.

Now I know this sounds dumb but I haven't had much experience with wireless networks, just wired ones. Can one of you kind souls explain what steps I need to follow to get me Exec connected to my network?

Many thanks in advance,

Terry

Guest mattnedgus
please help.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have a wireless network already? Is that what you bought the USB adapter for... to enable your main computer to work wirelessly on your network?

Or did you buy the USB adapter so that you can use your main computers hard wired connection, and share it wirelessly with your pda?

If the later, then windows can sometimes be a pain and you have to get the two devices to see each other (just as you would on a normal network). You might also want to check your connection settings, and see if you have your encryption set up correctly (if your network is encrypted but your pda doesnt have the correct code, it wont be able to see it).

Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Guest telthenipper
You have a wireless network already?  Is that what you bought the USB adapter for... to enable your main computer to work wirelessly on your network?

Or did you buy the USB adapter so that you can use your main computers hard wired connection, and share it wirelessly with your pda?

If the later, then windows can sometimes be a pain and you have to get the two devices to see each other (just as you would on a normal network).  You might also want to check your connection settings, and see if you have your encryption set up correctly (if your network is encrypted but your pda doesnt have the correct code, it wont be able to see it).

Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have a wireless network but a wired one. You're right I bought the USB wireless adapter so I could interface my Exec to my wired network. The strange thing is my PC sees my Exec fine, but on the Exec it doesn't see the wireless adapter and hence my PC, it just keeps on saying searching for network. I think the problem lies with my Exec, but I don't know how to set it up. The manual isn't that thorough when it comes to explaining how to connect it wirelessly.

I wonder if any one can explain how I can get my Exec to see my wireless 'dongle'

many thanks in advance,

Tel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest colinc57

guess its showing up as bridge... as this will be the same as ICS ...

I also intend to look at this option --- but will need certain settings , but an access point connected to a router ( r wireless modem/router) would be easier