Phone Pad

Guest RadioImp

Guest RadioImp

Got a slight problem with my O2 Exec.

The phone pad has gone away, if I try and select it, it just defaults back to keyboard.

I've tried everything short of a hard reset to get it back.

Done some googling, and no one appears to know the fix, anyone here got any ideas?

I'd rather not Hard Reset the device again if I can avoid it.

I'm running the Personal install, but with the O2 Active stuff disabled in startup, reenabling the Active software doesn't make any difference.

cheers!

Edited by RadioImp

Guest pikelet

Don't know if you've noticed elsewhere, but this issue has been fixed by not installing the O2 Active software at all. Note that this isn't the same as the 'Corporate' install option.

To avoid installing the software at all, you need to hard reset the device. Then go through the normal screen calibration procedure, but when a message appears onscreen saying 'It will configure your device in 3 seconds', perform a soft reset before the message has a chance to disappear and start installing things.

You will now have an absolutely vanilla WM5 installation on your Jasjar.

O2 have made the 'extended ROM' packages available for download on the my-xda site, so if you subsequently want to go and reinstall something from O2 you can do so using the CAB files they make available.

The only things you'll really be missing after this procedure will be the settings for GPRS/MMS, which you'll have to dig out and recreate manually, and the phone application functionality where it tries to use your contacts list to second-guess the number you're about to dial.

One of the O2 CABs, once installed, breaks the phone pad functionality. Doesn't matter whether you run the O2 Active software subsequently or not. Its mere presence is enough to make this happen.

Guest Pondrew

Just a note of caution. The Extended Rom on a Pocket PC Phone traditionally holds more then just customisation. It usually holds additional applications and bug fixes/patches/amendments to the rom. Therefore it might be better just to uninstall the O2 Active software or enter the corporate pin.

Must say that I WASN'T aware that the O2 Active software would kill the phone app. I actually understood that this problem (the phone pad app not responding) is caused by closing the phone app in Task Manager. A soft reset will make it work again and ensuring against using the Task Manager to close Phone Pad will prevent it happening again. I suppose you could say that the 'bug' is still O2s doing as they included a Task Manager that doesn't hide the Phone App as all Pocket PC Phones have done in the past.

Guest RadioImp

The Phone pad worked for a while, and has since broken, it's not been broken from the start, so I don't think it can be anything that O2 has installed.

Could be wrong on that one though.

A soft reset does not cure this, nothing I can try will bring back the Phone Pad, though the Phone app is still functioning perfectly as far as I know.

Where could I get the settings I'd need to try the hard reset without installing?

Cheers for the help!

Guest pikelet
Just a note of caution. The Extended Rom on a Pocket PC Phone traditionally holds more then just customisation. It usually holds additional applications and bug fixes/patches/amendments to the rom. Therefore it might be better just to uninstall the O2 Active software or enter the corporate pin.

There's a discussion of what each CAB file does over on the XDA developers forum site (thread topic 32527). I did reinstall some of the CAB files individually, mainly based on that discussion and my own tinkering.

Must say that I WASN'T aware that the O2 Active software would kill the phone app. I actually understood that this problem (the phone pad app not responding) is caused by closing the phone app in Task Manager. A soft reset will make it work again and ensuring against using the Task Manager to close Phone Pad will prevent it happening again.

Soft reset never fixed it for me. Once it was gone, it was gone. Only way to bring it back was to hard reset. Whatever module of the O2 software it is that breaks the Phone Pad, in my case at least, once it was broken, it was broken. Sounds like the original poster has the same trouble.

Guest Pondrew

Just to confirm, what do you mean by Phone Pad? (bearing in mind that I don't have an HTC Universal myself but have an MDA III myself)

I assumed you meant the Phone App with it's onscreen numerical pad but your reply posts suggest not... :??:

Just to confirm, what do you mean by Phone Pad?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think they are referring to the phone pad method of entering text - allows you to use T9 predictive text. It's an alternative to the virtual keyboard..

Guest Pondrew
Think they are referring to the phone pad method of entering text - allows you to use T9 predictive text. It's an alternative to the virtual keyboard..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, thats software I don't have on my MDA III.