SP5 coming very soon. why ActiveSync 4 and not 3.x

Guest eieioeieio

Guest eieioeieio

Hi there!

i'm getting my I-Mate SP5 very soon and am looking into what i need when the SP5 arrive. one of the things/issues is that people are talking about and using ActiveSync 4.0 rather than ActiveSync 3.X. as far as i can see, on Microsoft's site, only 3.X is released. i understand that there are certain places where 4.0 is available but there are many who also posted real issues after they've installed and used 4.0 - like "damage" to their computer's registry...etc.

may i ask what you all would suggest? would it be perfectly fine if i just downloaded the latest ActiveSync 3.8 or whatever Microsoft has on their site and would everything sync up fine with my upcoming new SP5? there are quite a few posts about issues with trying to sync with 4.0 that i'm really concerned. who knows what the "real" return policies are with the place i got mine from. there are some who like the seller, of course there are others who dislike the seller.

i'm being cautious and trying to ascertain what i should do when the SP5 arrives so i'd be happy and pleased and be able to use it like i should rather than being hit with a "stomach acid producing" experience!

thanks in advance for your comments/advice!

Guest eieioeieio

guilesjuk:

thanks for your reply/clarification. i didn't know that mobile 5.0 REQUIRES activeSync 4.0.

the logical questions are:

(1) where is the BEST place, most reliable, to download the BEST version of ActiveSync 4.X so as to be compatible and trouble free with Mobile 5.0? that would be a logical question to anyone who owns a device that uses Mobile 5.0.

(2) why can't you download ActiveSync 4.0 on any of the Microsoft sites if you are REQUIRED to use it with Mobile 5.0? i'm so confused by this!

i can't be the only one who doesn't get this logic. can someone please elaborate/tell me where best to go to download the most appropriate version?

thanks in advance!!

PS: i'm just preparing for the pending arrival of my SP5 very soon!

1) It should come on the SP5 CD acompanying your phone. If you google activsync you can find 'unoffical' beta versions of v4.1 as well.

2) V4.0 is beta right now because the new connection method doesnt work properly. Microsfot blame the way firewalls intercept 'connectivity' in windows (that includes BT, TCP/IP, IR etc etc).

AS v4+ has 'limited availability' which translates to, they distribute it with WM5 phones because its the only thing that works. Their excuse is that the OEM can aggregate device specific problems and suplement microsoft support. In reality your OEM will blame Microsoft, and microsoft will blame the firewalls/antivirus on your computer.