Vairo Wifi connects but wont browse the net

Guest leshemnoam

Guest leshemnoam

hi i got my Vairo on Mon. i am very happy with it, but i have been trying to connect to the internet via wifi with no success.

i'm sorry if this has been posted but i did look around the forum but couldn't find anything that solved it..

i have a free access hot-spot here were i work(not a work network)and have in the past connected to it using a laptop. i have tried changing the network connection to work etc' but nothing seems to help. i keep getting "The page Cannot be Found. Check the Name and Try again" even though it's http://www.google.co.uk

it looks like it is connected just no internet...

I'll have a bash at helping you, dunno how far we'll get. But just had similar problems with my own home WiFi, which was working a couple of days ago.

Sorry if any of this seems patronising, but i'll start from basics:

Firstly are you sure your WiFi is turned on, on your Vario? The little icon in the bottom right hand corner (there's two, right one is battery, next to it on the left is the WiFi icon, if there's a tiny red 'x', it's off. No 'x' and it's on.

Once you're sure it's on, click it with the stylus and go into Comm Manager, where the top icon will confirm wifi is on or off. Click "settings" bottom left and go into the "wifi settings" Here you'll be able to see, using the two tabs "Main" and "Advanced" whether you're really connected or not.

If you click "Menu" and then "Network Cards" you'll be able to see available networks. If you see the one you want and it's "available" hold the stylus on it til "connect" and "remove settings" appear and click "connect". You can then either wait for it, in this screen, whilst it attempts to connect, or return (click "ok" top right) to the "settings" screen and watch it attempt to connect from there, from within the "advanced" tab.

If you fail to connect, you could try fiddling with the settings within "Network Cards", do so by clikcing on the desired wireless network, once. Here is where you can set up the authentication for an encrypted network, etc.

You said it was a network you can access from work. So here is where, if all the above fails, you can go no further. From here I'd suggest you start doing the basics, of fiddling with the WiFi network settings on your WiFi router. Turning off all encryption, first of all, and seeing if you connect then. Then slowly build up the secutiry with WPA-PSK, etc, disable the broadcast of the SSID, etc.

God, I hope some of that helps! :?:

Guest leshemnoam
I'll have a bash at helping you, dunno how far we'll get. But just had similar problems with my own home WiFi, which was working a couple of days ago.

Sorry if any of this seems patronising, but i'll start from basics:

Firstly are you sure your WiFi is turned on, on your Vario? The little icon in the bottom right hand corner (there's two, right one is battery, next to it on the left is the WiFi icon, if there's a tiny red 'x', it's off. No 'x' and it's on.

Once you're sure it's on, click it with the stylus and go into Comm Manager, where the top icon will confirm wifi is on or off.  Click "settings" bottom left and go into the "wifi settings" Here you'll be able to see, using the two tabs "Main" and "Advanced" whether you're really connected or not.

If you click "Menu" and then "Network Cards" you'll be able to see available networks. If you see the one you want and it's "available" hold the stylus on it til "connect" and "remove settings" appear and click "connect". You can then either wait for it, in this screen, whilst it attempts to connect, or return (click "ok" top right) to the "settings" screen and watch it attempt to connect from there, from within the "advanced" tab.

If you fail to connect, you could try fiddling with the settings within "Network Cards", do so by clikcing on the desired wireless network, once. Here is where you can set up the authentication for an encrypted network, etc.

You said it was a network you can access from work. So here is where, if all the above fails, you can go no further. From here I'd suggest you start doing the basics, of fiddling with the WiFi network settings on your WiFi router. Turning off all encryption, first of all, and seeing if you connect then. Then slowly build up the secutiry with WPA-PSK, etc, disable the broadcast of the SSID, etc.

God, I hope some of that helps!  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thank you soooo much for your help..unfortunately i think i didn't explain my problem well enough(i'm a newbie) the connection is a"hot spot" so i have no access to settings. the wifi is on and states it is connected. i get the "page cant be found..." only when i try to surf the net...i have tried it with a spv m1500 and got the some thing.

btw looking at the "Wifi Sniffing" thread i asked the office that have the wifi connection and though they give no tec help they don't mind me useing it...

again thank you for you help

Edited by leshemnoam

Within your "Wi-Fi Settings" (from the Comm Manager screen), are you getting an IP address if you look in the "Advanced" tab?

You can be connected, but not able to get an IP address, which could explain your situation, as you wouldn't be able to browse without one.

I've noticed this happen, mainly when the signal strength isn't great.

Guest leshemnoam
Within your "Wi-Fi Settings" (from the Comm Manager screen), are you getting an IP address if you look in the "Advanced" tab?

You can be connected, but not able to get an IP address, which could explain your situation, as you wouldn't be able to browse without one.

I've noticed this happen, mainly when the signal strength isn't great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes i have a IP address. however under status it is saying "Not Connected to network." but if i look in network cards it says "connected" and the icon on the top is also pointing to that.

thanks for your help....

Very weird. Have you managed to connect to ANY WiFi network? That one sounds a strange 'un.

Just out of interest, when you do this you haven't got your USB connected and are ActiveSyn'd up?

Guest leshemnoam
Very weird. Have you managed to connect to ANY WiFi network? That one sounds a strange 'un.

Just out of interest, when you do this you haven't got your USB connected and are ActiveSyn'd up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no i wasn't sync'd when i tried.

haven't tried any other yet but i'm going to get a wifi router tomorrow so i'll try at home. maybe try in town too.

i'll let you know how it goes

thanks

Guest leshemnoam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi, got my home network to work and surfed the net with no problems

thanks for your help!

Modaco rocks!

As Noo says, it sounds like you are not getting an IP address assigned from the other network you were trying to connect to. When youi connected to it though your laptop, were you specifying an IP address to use or were you set to pick up a server assigned address?

Perhaps they have turned off the dhcp server so you are not getting an IP address or the appropriate dns settings assigned.

Maybe they have realised how insecure their network was and are now trying to lock out unauthorised users ;-p

• 2 weeks later...