SPV m500 GPRS problems

Guest jdcampbell

Guest jdcampbell

I have a problem with GPRS connectivity. My phone is configured to check for email every 20 minutes. However if the GPRS fails once (for instance if you are in a train and go through a poor coverage area) it won't then recoonect to GPRS unless you turn the phone off (put into flight mode) and on again.

I rang Orange today to see why this was a problem and was told that the software did this on purpose!! The reasoning was that if the phone kept trying to sync email and kept failing that it would be consuming GPRS volume on the same emails. I cannot really believe this for 4 reasons:

1) It would render the phone useless as a business tool for push email - or a main mobile email platform at least

2) It never happened on an M1000 we had, so I cannot believe they would configure the M500 in this way.

3) It would show a woeful ignorance of the synchonisation technologies out there that can carry on synching where they left off when the GPRS connection was lost

4) If it failed an email sync, it is going to have to do it at some point - so what difference does it make to that fact if you had to turn the phone on and off first!!

has anyone had similar problems and do they have any solutions?

I'd be interested in any Orange phone trainers' comment on what I was told, because it seem incredible that they would think this way.

Doug

Guest hawkscope

I logged the same issue with Orange a couple of weeks ago. I am still waiting for a reply from the technical department.

By design or otherwise this seems to be a fault.

Guest Confused Stu

This is a known fault with the M500 since they came out. I've used a couple of different ROM's on my phone (don't tell Orange!) and all of them seem to suffer the same problem. I think it's an HTC issue rather than an Orange one, I'm afraid. :)

Guest jdcampbell
This is a known fault with the M500 since they came out.  I've used a couple of different ROM's on my phone (don't tell Orange!) and all of them seem to suffer the same problem.  I think it's an HTC issue rather than an Orange one, I'm afraid.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Renders it pretty b****y useless as a business tool for email then. Rather seems to defeat the object of having one!

Mine will be going back to Orange as not of merchantable quality if that proves to be the case. :evil:

I have just taken delivery of a M1500 and this is doing exactly the same thing.

Does anyone remeber this happening in the early days of SPV as it was fixed then in the second update.

So does this affect everyone then and which handsets are not affected.

• 1 month later...
Guest samandiain
I have just taken delivery of a M1500 and this is doing exactly the same thing.

Does anyone remeber this happening in the early days of SPV as it was fixed then in the second update.

So does this affect everyone then and which handsets are not affected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have this problme on my M500 - I spent months trying to figure out why sometime I could connect, and sometimes I couldn't. I spent ages removing and re-entering the GPRS settings, sometimes it seemed to fix the problem, then I'd try again a minute later and it wouldn't connect.

The result was i didn't get picture messages, or get close to my monthly data allowance for the first 4 months i had the thing.

I only realised recently that reseting would sort the problem, and i could connect once, but after that, it's stuffed.

It's definatly a defect in the phone - not intentional. The message " could not connect for an unknown reason" is proof. If this was design, the message would explain that GPRS is disabled to conserve battery life, and offer a "turn GPRS on" option to let you connect.

My collegue has a T-mobile MDA, this has the very same problem.

I should have updated this :?:

I had the phone replaced and tested it and it worked fine for a while.

Then I installed all my old programmes and it showed the same fault again, so i basically deduced it was spb gprs monitor interfering with the connection.

After another hard-reset and without installing the gprs monitoring, it has been fine for over a month.

Not sure if this helps in your case!

Ashley

• 1 month later...

Hi - I've got exactly this problem with my M500. Whenever I want to connect to GPRS I have to turn on flight mode and then turn it off again first. It's really annoying and I could do it fixing.

I'm quite prepared to do a hard reset but I just wondered if

Settings -> Today -> Items and unchecking 'GPRS Monitor'

would achieve the same thing?

I'm going to try it out from today and will report back with my results.

update

no, still 'cannot connect for an unknown reason' even with the GPRS monitor disabled from the today screen (and a re-boot).

update

I noticed that on my M500 there's no uninstall option for Spb GPRS monitor in the 'remove programs' applet. So I thought I'd download the latest version of Spb GPS Monitor from the Spb site (I just got the .cab installer). Once installed, I then immediately uninstalled it using the new entry in 'remove programs'.

After a re-boot the phone then complained that it couldn't find 'GPRSMonitor'. I then deleted the link to it in '\windows\startup' and confirmed via a reboot that it was now uninstalled. I've tested attaching and I'm still experiencing the issue.

I mailed HTC about the issue but they couldn't offer me any explanation/solution/strategy beyond trying the Spb uninstall.

update

people in other regions are having the same problem (link)

Edited by jwexqm

Guest jimbouk

I have had this problem with every windows mobile device I have owned - the spv, spv e200, the spv c500 and the spv m500.

After a soft reset it connects to gprs fine but if you make or receive a voice call, then a soft reset is required before gprs will work again!

I told Orange and they said "oh...it shouldn't do that!"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mike-oh

I queried this a while back on here yet no-one replied. :D Gprs would connect, then after i disconnected and later tried to reconnect it wouldn't have any of it! :cry:

I spoke to t-mobile today and sceptically did what they told me. Remove the battery and put it back in again. Strangely enough it worked!

Also i've just had problems with my MMS settings which some nice lady has helped me out with. A* for T-mobile customer services! :)

Edited by mike-oh

Guest jdcampbell
Hi - I've got exactly this problem with my M500. Whenever I want to connect to GPRS I have to turn on flight mode and then turn it off again first. It's really annoying and I could do it fixing.

I'm quite prepared to do a hard reset but I just wondered if

Settings -> Today -> Items and unchecking 'GPRS Monitor'

would achieve the same thing?

I'm going to try it out from today and will report back with my results.

update

no, still 'cannot connect for an unknown reason' even with the GPRS monitor disabled from the today screen (and a re-boot).

update

I noticed that on my M500 there's no uninstall option for Spb GPRS monitor in the 'remove programs' applet. So I thought I'd download the latest version of Spb GPS Monitor from the Spb site (I just got the .cab installer). Once installed, I then immediately uninstalled it using the new entry in 'remove programs'.

After a re-boot the phone then complained that it couldn't find 'GPRSMonitor'. I then deleted the link to it in '\windows\startup' and confirmed via a reboot that it was now uninstalled. I've tested attaching and I'm still experiencing the issue.

I mailed HTC about the issue but they couldn't offer me any explanation/solution/strategy beyond trying the Spb uninstall.

update

people in other regions are having the same problem (link)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After waiting interminably for Orange to respond to this issue I gave up on them a couple of days ago. What a b*#*#y useless shower. :evil:

Instead I hard reset the machine in such a way as to prevent any Orange add-ons being loaded. The GPRS connectivity is now rock solid. A colleague in my company has also tried the same solution and now all his problems have gone away too. 8)

For anyone who hasn't read the thread on how to do this see: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=657188

Guest jwexqm
After waiting interminably for Orange to respond to this issue I gave up on them a couple of days ago. What a b*#*#y useless shower.  :evil:

Instead I hard reset the machine in such a way as to prevent any Orange add-ons being loaded. The GPRS connectivity is now rock solid. A colleague in my company has also tried the same solution and now all his problems have gone away too.  8)

For anyone who hasn't read the thread on how to do this see: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=657188

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can confirm that I'm now happy with GPRS on my m500 after doing the hard reset followed by soft reset to skip installation of the Orange customisation pack.