Question: Tornado devices and miniSD compatibility

Guest jakobdam

Guest MadSci
This may a bit off the sd subject, but it has a sd-card connection. I use the HTC-FARADY version of smartphone made for Cingular as the 2125. Similar to the TORNADO but with a 1900 ghz hump on top...lol. Does anyone know if I can use a mini-sd wifi card with this phone? Will it fit the mini-sd slot....??  any help is appreciated.!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't really know, but it's have to work throught he battery that sits right on top of it. Seems dodgy to me.

Back on topic, 1Mb Moby Card and loving it!

Guest pd.ryder

1 Gb miniSD from Sandisk - no probs.

@mrhifi - will the wi-fi card physically fit in the internal slot? I've only ever seen them with a small aerial on the top and I doubt it would fit in the space inside the phone.

@MadSci - crazy avatar ;)

Guest niacin65

I use a ridata 1 gig mini sd card. It works great. I got it for 3900 pesos here in the Philippines. About $76 us. Too bad Ebay won't accept PayPal from here. I would have loved to have bought the 2 gig topram card for that low price.

Guest margarineoferror

So did any one arrive at a conclusion as to if there are actual incompatibilities or not?

I'm looking to get one of these:

2G ExtreMemory http://www.extrememory.com/

1G Kingston http://www.kingston.com/flash/sd_mini.asp?id=2

1G SanDisc http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1186)...D_Card_1GB.aspx

Edited by margarineoferror

Guest MetalMessiah78

I have the T-Mobile SDA and the 2GB Sandisk, and I haven't had a problem with mine. I have about 400mbs of programs, videos, mp3's, games, etc. It works mint. I got this one from Tiger Direct for $86 including shipping.

Guest Brcobrem

I just talked to Kingston about this and they said, "Kingston's Secure Digital Mini Cards are SLC cards."

So, I bought their SDM/1GB which also came with an adapter that allows it to be inserted into regular SD slot. I tested it in a Cingular/HTC 2125/Faraday. I started to copy a 101MB exe file (with ActiveSync's "file conversion" turned off) and it hung a about 4MB.

I then removed the card and stuck it into a PC card reader. It copied it with no problem. Perhaps the problem is with ActiveSync ? Any ideas?

Guest bluemonq

first confirmation: kingston 1gb cards do work with tornado devices. i got it a couple weeks ago and commonly large files (movies, tv shows, etc) and large groups of files (mp3s) and it works fine. no issues whether copying through activesync or wm5torage, though with wm5torage i have to change the power settings so it doesn't time out. card reader works fine too, of course.

Guest TomeQ
I just talked to Kingston about this and they said, "Kingston's Secure Digital Mini Cards are SLC cards."

So, I bought their SDM/1GB which also came with an adapter that allows it to be inserted into regular SD slot. I tested it in a Cingular/HTC 2125/Faraday. I started to copy a 101MB exe file (with ActiveSync's "file conversion" turned off) and it hung a about 4MB.

I then removed the card and stuck it into a PC card reader. It copied it with no problem. Perhaps the problem is with ActiveSync ? Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try copy that file in WM5torage removable media mode, maybe it will help.

Guest MetalMessiah78
Try copy that file in WM5torage removable media mode, maybe it will help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it might be a limitation on the software by the cellular phone provider. I've read on here about numerous members having to application unlock their phones to install certain software. I never needed to do that with the SDA. I've been able to install everything I've wanted to. Maybe an application unlock will enable you to transfer bigger files? :idea:

Guest pd.ryder

I've had this 'hanging' problem with all sorts of cards in many devices over the years. It's usually fixed by making sure you re-click on ActiveSync even after it has auto-sync'd with the device on connection, then allowing WMP10 to do the hard work for you. It's worked for me, anyway.

Guest jakobdam

I've done some more investigation on the matter, and now it gets truly annoying and confusing.

Kingston makes two different miniSD-cards series; an SLC (Single Layer Cell) and MLC (Multi Layer Cell).

I still have my MLC-card, and it does not work with my QTek 8310 (HTC Tornado). Neither will it work with my SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon).

Or well; it DOES work a bit, in the sense that it only becomes a problem (big problem) when reading/writing big files.

However, one of my friends has managed to get his hands on an SLC miniSD-card from Kingston; it says so on the box that it's SLC, and it works flawlessly.

Well, for me - I just stick with SanDisk. I know they work with the HTC devices, I've never encountered a SanDisk that doesn't, actually. I'm tired of wasting money on cards that doesn't work because they're MLC and there's usually no way of telling with which architecture they're built.

• 1 month later...
Guest jychow

got in touch with a technician from kingston. he recommend to format the card with "FAT" instead of "FAT32".

Will test again. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest petrov
Ok - I know that SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon) and devices before that, have problems with Multi Level Cell (MLC) structures.

Only Single Level Cell (SLC) flash cards will work properly on my SPV C500; using MLC miniSD-cards (such as Kingston 512 MB miniSD) will cause unstability and problems writing big files.

Does anyone here know if the Tornado devices are suffering from the same problem with MLC miniSD-cards?

Known MLC miniSD card providers:

• Kingston

• Toshiba

• Transcend

So if you have a miniSD card from one of the above listed providers, please write here! :)

Phone: imate SP5 (aka HTC Tornado)

Memory card: Kingston SDM/1GBFE (MLC technology, confirmed with Kingston)

Verdict: Doesn't work properly; Problems with large files; The phone usually hangs when transferring more than 10M at once.

Phone: imate SP5 (aka HTC Tornado)

Memory card: SanDisk SDM-1024 (unknown technology, vendor didn't want to discover proprietary information - idiots??)

Verdict: It works properly; No problems at all;

I'm using a Kingmax 1GB minisd card on SPV C600.

Right now i have 5.4MB free on the card.

It works OK.

The biggest file that i've tried to copy to the card (via WM5torage) was ~ 40MB (a videoclip).

The only thing that i don't like is that when i am listening to the music (eg: with TCPMP) and in the same time I try to install something to Storage Card, the phone lags (the music plays with slow downs).. Do you guys encounter this on your 1GB+ cards?

• 2 months later...
Guest rlebovic

Hey jychow,

Did reformatting the card to FAT work for you? I'm in the same situation, and so I need to know if this card will work in my device at all, or if I need to cut my losses and buy another card.

Thanks,

Rob.

got in touch with a technician from kingston. he recommend to format the card with "FAT" instead of "FAT32".

Will test again. :rolleyes:

Guest conan_troutman

just to let you all know my qtek 8310 runs fine with moby memory 1gb and pretec 2 gb

I do have a 4gb (sandisk according to the website but was unbranded when it arrived) works ok all 4gb is usable however the laoding time is agonisingly slow and worse of all mp3s stutter as do alarm tones and takes an age between cycles compared to the 2gb.

ring tones can take up to 40 seconds to load personally i think its due to the read and writed speed of the 4 gb being nearly 4 times slower than all my other cards hope fully a faster one will be out soon and i can go with the 4 gb but for now it remains as storage for my files only

Guest duke_stix

hey

im using a Kingston 1GB mini SD card in my v1240/tornado

got a 2gb minisd card on the way from mymemory, wondering whether anyones got one of them in their tornados? its their own brand one

just read more of the thread:

when copying with activesync, it tends to hang!

so i use wm5storage, and it copies large files over just fine (i just copied over a 349mb video file and it copied fine.) a little slow, but fine!

theres no issues with it asides from transferring data using activesync

hope this helps!

Edited by duke_stix