How to get started developing mobile apps

Guest removed-14

Guest removed-14

Hi all

I'm a casual VB and VB.Net developer for PC's but would like to try developing some apps for Pocket PC/Smartphones.

Where do i start? I have Visual Studio 2003 but ive read i need some other SDKs or even Visual Studio 2005 for WM5 development? I played with eVB a while back which was very easy to use but it seems to have gone!

Any suggestions welcome

• 1 month later...
Guest palewar

Hit File > New Project in your VS and if you see option for Smart Device Project there you can begin developing applications for Pocket PC and Window Mobile Smartphones.

You can download Pocket PC 2003 SDK free from Microsoft and also other related stuff like emulator and skins etc.

You can easily develop applications for Pocket PC using vb.net and don't worry you can even develop applicatiosn for windows mobile 5.0 using VS2003. VS 2005 will make job easier for you, but there is nothing to stop you from developing in VS 2003.

Cheers!! ;)

Guest removed-14
Hit File > New Project in your VS and if you see option for Smart Device Project there you can begin developing applications for Pocket PC and Window Mobile Smartphones.

You can download Pocket PC 2003 SDK free from Microsoft and also other related stuff like emulator and skins etc.

You can easily develop applications for Pocket PC using vb.net and don't worry you can even develop applicatiosn for windows mobile 5.0 using VS2003. VS 2005 will make job easier for you, but there is nothing to stop you from developing in VS 2003.

Cheers!!  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just taken delivery of VS 2005 so ill take a look and see how easy it is. Thanks for the reply.

yeh you need the .NET CF installed on the mobile device, with WM2003SE .NET CF 1.1 is already installed, as with WM5 devices, depending on the device, you can deploy .NET CF 2.0

you also need to install the Smartphone/Pocket PC SDK. Once done, open vs.net and file > new project and select the mobile device ;)