Email via Wifi

Guest adam@wizzy

Guest adam@wizzy

Hi, not had my 9100 long but so far think its an excellent phone. Have managed to get the WiFi and O2 GPRS and MMS working, but was wondering if it was possible to collect my email from a POP3 account via WiFi. I tried setting up the email account (same settings as I used in my SPV C500) but even with WiFI switched on and in range of the router it attempts to connect via GPRS.

I can browse the web over WiFi so surely it should be possibel to pick up emails, or am I doing something stupid ?

Just quickly tested this, and it works fine, for me with my T-Mobile Vario.

Unless something T-Mobile-specific happens, being on Wifi should override GPRS, from what I have figured out... atleast that's my experiences.

Guest richard_hogg

On a related topic..

Am I the only one that can't read or create hotmail emails on the Vario?

It will go off and get the headers and even claims to download the bodies, but won't let me read them. The animation for a window open appears then nothing. Same for create new email.

Does this on both GPRS and WiFi.

Any ideas?

P.S. Messenger on the keyboard rocks!

EDIT: Oops.. Said can instead of can't :)

Edited by richard_hogg

Guest adchaffey
Just quickly tested this, and it works fine, for me with my T-Mobile Vario.

Unless something T-Mobile-specific happens, being on Wifi should override GPRS, from what I have figured out... atleast that's my experiences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here with my Vario. Just picks up the mail via Wifi as expected.

I also seem to have problems with PocketMSN, specifically downloading Hotmail mail. I can read it fine through the website, but can't get it to automatically download.

Everything else works ok, regular email, IMAP, MSN etc

Any ideas?

Pleased its sorted for you - dead handy innit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On my Vario it sometimes seems to use GPRS instead of Wifi even when WIfi is on, specifically it seems that when my mail is manually synced it always uses WiFi, but if it goes into standby and then wakes up to automatically pick up my mail every 15 minutes, it uses GPRS and not WiFi as the Wifi takes a couple of seconds to kick in.

I presume it sometning to do with the Wifi Slider (performance v battery)

any thoughs