Smashed my screen!

Guest feeta

Hi all,

My Exec fell off my desk today while the screen was open. It fell on the corner of the bin and now the screen has a nice big smash in it.

The colours are completely screwed up and nothing is recognisable. The screen ink stuff has leaked all over the inside too.

Now, my question is this:

Where would be the best place to have my Exec repaired? I'm pretty sure it'll need a new screen on it. This wouldn't be the type of thing I could do if i had the part would it? (bearing in mind I'm a computer technician so can fix the insides of computers) Also, what sort of price would i be looking at?

Bet i'm the first one to do this aren't i! :)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Feeta :cry:

Guest fluffcat1
Hi all,

My Exec fell off my desk today while the screen was open.  It fell on the corner of the bin and now the screen has a nice big smash in it.

The colours are completely screwed up and nothing is recognisable.  The screen ink stuff has leaked all over the inside too.

Now, my question is this:

Where would be the best place to have my Exec repaired?  I'm pretty sure it'll need a new screen on it.  This wouldn't be the type of thing I could do if i had the part would it? (bearing in mind I'm a computer technician so can fix the insides of computers)  Also, what sort of price would i be looking at?

Bet i'm the first one to do this aren't i!  :)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Feeta  :cry:

Congratulations, it's always nice to be the first at something - commiserations at what it is though!

I don't think HTC list o2 products on their website for repair, as o2 give 2yrs warranty as opposed to 1 and the HTC website only mentions T-mobile or orange as you have speak to o2 directly for xda repairs. They'll probably tell you to forget it and buy another. You could try HTC, nothing to loose but as an example an LCD and digitiser replacement for a blue angel is approx £150. Sourcing the screen yourself will be difficult, fitting it will be easy.

Try emailing them at www.runpda.com, but you'll probably be looking at £80 just for the screen. They don't currently have one listed but may be able to help. Other places are www.ppctechs.com and another that slips my mind but I've mentioned in previous posts.

Failing that, look out for one on ebay that's been barred.

Richard

Having looked around a bit - it looks as though the top touchscreen part is ok and intact - it seems to be just the LCD that is cracked.

If i could find a screen, i would fix it myself.

The feeling is horrible when this happens!

Guest fluffcat1
Having looked around a bit - it looks as though the top touchscreen part is ok and intact - it seems to be just the LCD that is cracked.

If i could find a screen, i would fix it myself.

The feeling is horrible when this happens!

Usually the digitiser and LCD comes as a pre-connected assembly - with blue angels there is some variation between digitiser / screen combos and the connectors are different - they need bodging to work, so don't rely on the LCD being a direct fit with your existing digitiser. Also, I have a blue angel screen that will only run with it's original (slightly faulty) board even though the connectors match! See here) . With Himalaya there are 2 completley different screen sub-assemblies that are *not* interchangable. HTC replace the entire assembly as one, runpda supply the entire assembly, the only people who supply lcd's serperatley as far as I know are www.pdaparts.com as they use salvaged items. Looking at their prices for an XDA II screen you'd be better off throwing yourself at the mercy of HTCeurope......

Richard

Guest afhstingray

yea this is the thing im always nervous about when i keep my m5000 open sitting on my desk...

its so convienient that i can just glance at the screen to see if i have any new msgs etc, but because its so much lighter than a laptop, its easy for just a bit of pull on the charging cable to drag it off!!

oh well, thank orange for orange care!!!

Guest removed-14

I know it sounds a bit devious but why not ring O2, take out the care package/insurance. Then after using an old phone for about 2 weeks ring them and make a claim.... not something i would do of course but someone else might...

Ok, well after lots of trying insurance/repair etc etc, the only thing I've been able to find is that o2 will repair it for £200ish :shock:

I tried HTC but the number on their site asks for a password as soon as you ring it. Is there a password i need to enter to speak to someone about buying a replacement screen? :roll:

If anyone has the number i would be very appreciative.

If all else fails, i'll sell it on ebay. It works perfectly and is in mint condition apart from the screen. The digitiser isn't damaged either. What price should i start it at?

cheers,

feeta :)

send yah a message

:twisted:

Ok, well after lots of trying insurance/repair etc etc, the only thing I've been able to find is that o2 will repair it for £200ish  :shock:

I tried HTC but the number on their site asks for a password as soon as you ring it.  Is there a password i need to enter to speak to someone about buying a replacement screen?  :roll:

If anyone has the number i would be very appreciative.

If all else fails, i'll sell it on ebay.  It works perfectly and is in mint condition apart from the screen.  The digitiser isn't damaged either.  What price should i start it at?

cheers,

feeta  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by dvl

• 2 months later...
Guest geraintwd

I did that to my Orange SPV C500 - walked into corner of a desk with the phone in my pocket, the corner smashed the LCD. I was paying a fiver a month for Orange Care and they couriered a new one to my work the next day, only charging me £15 which was pretty impressive.

The lesson here is that when you have an expensive device like the Universal (£600 or so offline?) it pays to take out comprehensive insurance on it...

Guest wheelerch

I've just done this to my exec... luckilly i took out the insurance when i bought the phone so 'accidental damage' is covered.

I'm not sure how i broke mine. i was out drinking and i took it out my pocket to find a cracked LCD. I dont think i knocked it, is it possible it might have just been from being in my pocket, theres no visible damage to the outside and it was definatly closed in my pocket...

Guest Mr.Clark
I did that to my Orange SPV C500 - walked into corner of a desk with the phone in my pocket, the corner smashed the LCD. I was paying a fiver a month for Orange Care and they couriered a new one to my work the next day, only charging me £15 which was pretty impressive.

The lesson here is that when you have an expensive device like the Universal (£600 or so offline?) it pays to take out comprehensive insurance on it...

You pay £5 a month and had to pay EXTRA for the repair?

Doesn't sound that great? :|