Is this possible with XDA EXEC?

Guest telthenipper

Guest telthenipper

Hi,

I have a XDA EXEC and I have just got a laptop that has bluetooth built in.

I was wondering is it possible to connect, my laptop to the internet using the bluetooth connection (or wireless), to the internet via gprs on my Exec?

This would be wicked to be able to connect my laptop to the internet via my Exec when I'm out and about.

If this is possible, could someone kindly explain how I can achieve this?

Many thanks in advance,

Tel

Guest dolphinsmile

Yes its possible.

You may need to get in touch with o2.

I’m with orange so cant help with pairing you devices.

Someone may inform you of an easier way soon.

Guest telthenipper
You could always leave your laptop at home, and just use your exec lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but I need my laptop for work. Does anyone know how I can do this?

thanks,

Tel

Guest shadamehr

Er isn't it just a case of setting up your Exec to act as a GPRS Modem for the laptop computer?

If so, aren't the instructions for this, and the basic commands, and extra initialisation strings you need to add to the Dial Up Connection, contained in the Exec user manual mate?

In simple terms, you create a new dial-up connection to your isp on the laptop machine, using the GPRS dial up number of *99# or SIMILAR (that's not exactly it mate, so don't use it - I'm just giving a rough talk thru hear).

The exact number, and any extra initialisation characters, should be in your manual???

You will have to create a bluetooth or infra-red connection between the laptop and the Exec first though, and set up the modem drivers for the exec - again these should be on the cd that came with the Exec.

Check your manual first mate (sorry to be so simplistic, but that should be your first call mate, not the last).

Then if anything THEN still remains unclear, ask for SPECIFIC advice on here, and I am sure people will help you...

Good luck too

Guest telthenipper
Er isn't it just a case of setting up your Exec to act as a GPRS Modem for the laptop computer?

If so, aren't the instructions for this, and the basic commands, and extra initialisation strings you need to add to the Dial Up Connection, contained in the Exec user manual mate?

In simple terms, you create a new dial-up connection to your isp on the laptop machine, using the GPRS dial up number of *99# or SIMILAR (that's not exactly it mate, so don't use it - I'm just giving a rough talk thru hear).

The exact number, and any extra initialisation characters, should be in your manual???

You will have to create a bluetooth or infra-red connection between the laptop and the Exec first though, and set up the modem drivers for the exec - again these should be on the cd that came with the Exec.

Check your manual first mate (sorry to be so simplistic, but that should be your first call mate, not the last). 

Then if anything THEN still remains unclear, ask for SPECIFIC advice on here, and I am sure people will help you...

Good luck too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info mate.

I check the manual first, but it's not that helpful and has no information about setting up a modem let alone a bluetooth one.

Anyway I've got it sorted and thanks for all your input.

Tel.

Edited by telthenipper

Guest shadamehr

Sorry again if I sounded offhand - this really is a good site for help and support mate, and I don't want your first impressions to seem too negative.

Pleased you got it sorted - if not I would have dug out my SmartPhone manual and got most of the settings from there mate, as it would have been pretty close enough to be going on with...

Hope you enjoy this site, and that we can all chip in to help a bit more in future.

Surprised though that the Exec manual doesn't cover this - remind me NOT to get one of those...

Nice post shadamehr :)

The manual provided by Orange is completely useless and I would assume the 02 one is the same - All you guys with M5000s should try and find either an I-Mate manual or even a HTC one..

I've got one of the Imate manuals here and its a LOT more detailed than the Orange one but I can't remember which site I found it on... :D