More ActiveSync issues with the Vario

Guest DeanoSMB

Guest DeanoSMB

Can't get ActiveSync to recognise the Vario at all. Have tried with ActiveSync 3.7, 4.0 and now 4.1 and all fail to see the Vario when connected via USB. Tried various things - reboots, configuring ZoneAlarm, turning off ZoneAlarm and Norton's - no joy.

What does seem to be happening is that Windows is establishing, or trying to establish, a local area connection with the Windows Mobile Device it sees - I can't delete this connection with the Vario plugged in via USB but it automatically deletes itself when I unplug it.

I'm running Windows XP with SP2 on a Dell Dimension. I have ZoneAlarm as the firewall and Norton Antivirus 2002 as the virus scanner. Have tried disabling both with no success.

Any help is appreciated. I've stopped short of deleting all registry entries which refer to ActiveSync (there are plenty).

Other than this the Vario is a beauty!

Apologies if this is a duplicate but I couldn't find a match on the forum.

Edited by DeanoSMB

Guest The B.A.

Hi,

Had similar problems with mine when I first had it, my Firewall was Sygate and simply disabling it had no effect. I had to shut it down completely before the vario would talk to the PC.

I think that there are some instructions for Zone alarm on the WM5 website that let you put rules in to allow a connection - i tried following them for my Sygate one but it didnt help.

Guest DeanoSMB

The troubleshooting guide seems to contain my problem but not a solution - or not one I can implement at any rate.

The problem I think is Windows recognising the device as a LAN connection - however even when I disable that connection and uninstall the associated driver it does the same thing when I reconnect the Vario. I suspect preventing this from happening might solve the problem - if I can work out how to do so...

Guest thelawman
The troubleshooting guide seems to contain my problem but not a solution - or not one I can implement at any rate.

The problem I think is Windows recognising the device as a LAN connection - however even when I disable that connection and uninstall the associated driver it does the same thing when I reconnect the Vario. I suspect preventing this from happening might solve the problem - if I can work out how to do so...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Activesync 4.0 uses TCP/IP to connect the pc and mobile, so the pc establishing a LAN connection is normal. There's quite a good resource here that might shed some light on what's going wrong.

Guest DeanoSMB
Activesync 4.0 uses TCP/IP to connect the pc and mobile, so the pc establishing a LAN connection is normal. 

Thanks Lawman... lots of good stuff on there. Unfortunately nothing yet that has cured it for me.

Tried synching on a friend's PC (he has an SDA II) and no problems whatsoever - mind he was running Windows Server 2003.

Most frustrating!!

Guest thelawman
Thanks Lawman... lots of good stuff on there. Unfortunately nothing yet that has cured it for me.

Tried synching on a friend's PC (he has an SDA II) and no problems whatsoever - mind he was running Windows Server 2003.

Most frustrating!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries!

Just a thought, but if/until you sort out the problem, have you tried connecting by IR or bluetooth? I was having problems connecting with USB, but IR worked fine. (My problem turned out to be a bizarre conflict between Activesync and my wireless network using WPA-PSK encryption - WEP seems to work fine however.)

Edited by thelawman

Guest DeanoSMB

Well...

one full PC reinstall later (I was due one...), about 6 hours of work last night and I got the connection failure problem down to ZoneAlarm - both the Vario and my PC had to have IP addresses registered as trusted. So...

I can connect the Vario to my PC now with ActiveSync and can explore the device. Which is great progress! BUT...

Still cannot sync with Outlook, despite a number of updates / detect and repairs / full reinstalls. Always get the error

ActiveSync has encountered a problem on the desktop.

Support Code: 85010014

which having Googled for extensively is definitely an Outlook issue... one that has me beaten so far though. Any advice welcome... it could be a long day...

Guest DeanoSMB

Issue resolved finally... a combination of ActiveSync 4.0 (NOT 4.1) and Outlook 2002 is working... for now. Seems very flaky though. I'd hope there's an update of either AS or WM5 soon to sort this out.