Ok.. i've been quiet for a while..

Guest bronksy

Guest bronksy

Ok people.. i'm tempted with the M5000, haven't had a play on one yet. I have a M2000 which I will send to the world of ebay in a few days.. i use the M2000 as a phone as much as a PDA.. should I banish the M2000 and get a M5000?

I am assuming line 2 will never work on a pocket PC device so I may as well put the fiver a month I'm on (still on Line 2 chat 60) towards more data...

Will I be unhappy with it? Is it any good? There's a mixed bag here but I know we're all picky bast***s at the best of times.. should I or shouldn't I.....

Ideally I like the slide out keyboard of the little wizard but looks like it will not appear on Orange...

If not the M5000 can anyone give a peek into what Orange may have around the corner?

I'm back to rant....

Guest Pondrew

God help us... hehe

Being 11months into an 18month contract I've decided NOT to upgade yet having considered both the HTC Wizard and HTC Universal.

I'm still loving my HTC Blue Angel. ANOTHER new rom update version 1.42 has come out with the newest WM2003 SE build I've seen ANWHERE. I've now got GPS and I intend shortly getting a Bluetooth Headset. According to Paul the Broadcom bluetooth stack in the Blue Angel is ALONE in the HTC Windows Mobile range in being A2DP stereo bluetooth compatible (once you install the high quality audio patch).

Guest bronksy

the sleeping beast has awoken....

i'm only 6 months in and they will let me upgrade for 150 quid...so i figured ebay would sort me out with making that back.

I haven't tried messing with the ROM's...i have the plain old Orange one.. i am getting ticked off with the silent call thing, plus it seems to be getting worse plus i want to have a new phone and nothing around from Orange at the moment seems to be half decent.

I have no BT accessories for it...apart from a parrot car kit that has never worked with any widows device properly, unless i soft reset every time i go into my car, then get my pin number into the phone whilst turning the ignition at precisely the right moment..

I'm resigned to never having line 2 again.. so thankfully my impending office move will mean a reprint of my business cards to coincide with lack of the last remaining half useful service Orange has... and now Orange won't let you divert it to anywhere other than voicemail and everyphone is dead it's a pain...

so.. apart from a deep seated love of your blue angel, was there another reason not to get the M5000.. apart from it looks best on O2 and like some sort of Vtech kiddie toy on orange?

oh heck.. i'm off already....it's good to be back!

Guest Pondrew

I can't say I'm decided on the success of the HTC Universal. Just that there have been so many posts about build quality problems and instability on here. It MAY be that the satisfied users far outnumber the dissatisfied but...

...also I don't like the fact that the majority of Pocket PC software won't function on WM5 (yet?). Why change when I'm so happy with the device I have at the moment? Especially when it'd cost for a simfree device or a new contract to do so (T-Mobile say they DON'T offer upgrades AT ALL until the end of a contract, whether you offer to pay or not).

Oh, and as an afterthought the SPV M5000 form factor, although only that little bit worse then the MDA III, is a bit too big for me.

Guest bronksy
it'd cost for a simfree device or a new contract to do so (T-Mobile say they DON'T offer upgrades AT ALL until the end of a contract, whether you offer to pay or not).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spend so much that I guess 6 months in I'm allowed to.. strange I was surprised too!

Is it worth tinkering with ROM's? I'm not 100% confident I know what i'm doing and it seems a faff to get the Orange specific settings all working properly

I'm banking on Orange viewing the M5000 as their flagship device and getting into gear for firmware updates..they were good at updates once upon a time...

surely?

Guest Pondrew

They WERE good at updates, but only on their Smartphones. Their Pocket PC Phones have been sadly neglected as far as rom updates go. There was once an update for the SPV M1000 but that's it!

As for installing different roms. It's a risky business and far easier to stick with the roms for your device (not that this is an option given Orange deny the existence of the 1.40 rom that some of their owners definately DO have!). But the way I view it is that once you've succesfully entered the GPRS/MMS settings sucessfully once you're set up for the future. And as far as the risk goes, it's far less risky to install a different rom onto your device (assuming you've unlocked the device to any rom which is something www.imei-check.com does) then it is to fiddle with the extended rom as so many peeps these days do. Least that's the way I see it.

Guest bronksy

They WERE good at updates, but only on their Smartphones. Their Pocket PC Phones have been sadly neglected as far as rom updates go. There was once an update for the SPV M1000 but that's it!

i remember the update, it made the unit work.

Well I think I'll pop into the Orange store tomorrow and have a butchers, I've only seen one for a few mins and I'll compare it to the M2000. People say its like an M2000 in a case, so may not be that bad...

will report back but I reckon that I'll be walking out with one. Then I can post about reccommended 1st charge times....