So experienced SP5 users, what's the verdict?

Guest ddieter

Guest ddieter

I'm on the fence as whether to order an SP5 now or wait until the HTC Prophet (Qtek S200) comes out early next year (I heard rumours March 2006).

I would like to hear from experienced SP5 users as to whether they are still happy with their phone or whether the honeymoon period is over and they have buyers remorse.

Cheers,

D

Edited by ddieter

iam still happy with my phone , it works ok and so far i have not had any problems, wifi is easy to set up and use and makes updating and downloading fast and easy , some games that worked on the C550 sadly do not run but that will change sometime soon now there are more phones with the new sized screen :)

Guest chrisc28

It's great, 'nuff said. Yes, even after all this while.....

It's only great till the Nokia N80 comes out, so grab it before then else you'll find the N80 superior in every other way. However, I should warn you that they're on different platforms and Series 60 isn't exactly as cool as WM.

Guest roma0803

It's a keeper. I'm very happy with it. Soundquality is good (it ís a phone afterall). I have various very handy programs installed. More and more software is optimized for WM5/QVGA devices. TomTom runs nice and smooth and as a MP3 player it isn't bad at all. I use the camera to make those little snapshots of my 2 year old son in spontanious actions and post them on a SplashBlog site. Honestly, I love my phone. Battery lasts long enough, it has a great screen and is nice and compact :)

Guest abhayseth

Using the SP5m since a month now - GO FOR IT..!

its some experience - :) :D ;) :D :)

I'm on the fence as whether to order an SP5 now or wait until the HTC Prophet (Qtek S200) comes out early next year (I heard rumours March 2006).

I would like to hear from experienced SP5 users as to whether they are still happy with their phone or whether the honeymoon period is over and they have buyers remorse.

Cheers,

D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) :) :) :) :)

Don't have the sp5 but do the Qtek 8300 & it's the best phone I've ever owned. Infact I'm posting this reply over my wifi connection while sitting on the loo at home.

Guest chrisc28
Don't have the sp5 but do the Qtek 8300 & it's the best phone I've ever  owned. Infact I'm posting this reply over my wifi connection while sitting on the loo at home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Omg! You used it just like me. The Wifi is a useful feature in the loo.

Guest davidlove

Sorry to rain on your parade, folks, but I'm disappointed with the SP5m.

Back to basics. All such devices are a trade-off, but MS's attempts to shoehorn the Windows experience into a cellphone just does not work for me.

Surely what we need from a smartphone is for the PDA bells and whistles to work as conveniently as the basic phone?

The first problem for all smartphones is that the bigger the screen, the smaller the keypad. Then overlay the sheer number of key depressions required to do anything in WM5 and you end up with sore thumbs thinking "is this big beautiful screen really worth it?"

The second problem is support. This forum is great, but hello, where is the manufacturer? The i-Mate manual gives a clue; it's a poorly written afterthought, the index is useless and it reflects a lack of experience in understanding the customer's needs.

Without being a cheerleader for Nokia, it's obvious from their Series 40 and 60 platforms that they "get it". And if you make 200m phones a year you damn well should.

I'm sure they have titanic battles about "features for the sake of features", but then someone on high intones "it's a phone, for God's sake". There are no such constraints in Redmond, as is obvious from the evolution of Windows.

So for now I'm rediscovering the elegant simplicity of my trusty Nokia 6230i, apparently the most popular MP3 player in the world. Every app I use can be started with a single key depression and I can live with limited email and a crap browser until I reach the next proper PC.

I've had an SP3, a C550 and the SP5 and it's by far the best (obviously I suppose)

Still love it, its the only Smartphone (IMHO) that looks better than most non-smart phones. Media player 10 synces perfectly with it I've around 10 albums on it + plenty of vids and still have 300 out of 1000 MB free.

Then of course you've the primary reason for having it, Outlook sync is excellent.

Only down side is the lack of applications and the slow speed most developers seem to be working at to get WM5 compatible. All in good time I suppose.

go for it!

Guest shadamehr

I have TWO sp5's and prior to that had a C500 and an E200.

The sp5 is definately a 'keeper'.

The screen is amazing - and as a phone its actually very very good - in other words it IS a phone first and foremost.

The lack of updated software for the WM5.0/QVGA screen will change as time goes on.

For me, I find it WON'T sync via Windows Media Player on my PC, but its my PC that is the culprit.

What i DON'T like about it though, is the joystick... Not because it is faulted I hasten to add... just that I have NEVER EVER liked these type of joystick devices on these SmartPhones, as per my old E200 - I find them very delicate, very easy to mispress the wrong direction, and as they stick up and protrude from the phone, they get pressed all the time.

Just a simple four way direction button with a mid-click button like all nokias have would have improved things by a measure of million miles.

Removing the joystick for a direction button would make things so much better in my eyes, but this is a complaint of the platform, NOT the sp5 specifically.

Finally, in a similar vein to what I just said myself, @ DavidLove:

Your issues may be valid, but they are comments against the entire SmartPhone ethos it sounds that you don't like, NOT the sp5 specifically.

Let me be abundantly clear, despite any of my comments and your own, if comparing the sp5 to OTHER WM SmartPhones, the sp5 is amazing...

And I think that is what the OP was asking (?)

Guest gilesjuk

Just ask yourself, are there any killer features you need on the SP5 that the SP3 doesn't have?

On the whole it's more evolution than revolution. There's nothing really that's a massive improvement.

I would say the SP3 on the whole is faster and easier to use, SP5 is a bit slower and less responsive.

Maybe with a decent browser the Wifi could be useful, PocketIE is too dumb and cutdown.

I will see how the next ROM goes, maybe then I will love this phone more. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad phone, it's just not going to win over people from Nokia and Samsung etc.