Guest b33k34

I'm looking at replacing my Nokia 6310i/Palm Tungsten T combo with a

smartphone. Not bothered in the slightest about music/video/games but

it needs to have a reasonable battery life, work well as a handheld

phone (not just with a headset) and be a usable PDA (for data entry as

well as just display). It also needs to be pocketable which i think

knocks out the Ipaq style devices.

Current thoughts are a HTC models - a magician

or wizard. it would be on Orange in the UK (assuming they are doing both phones by the new year) or on another UK net.

1) does these phones have a decent vibrate mode and a loud ring?

2) will i be able to synch with the exchange server at work and with my

personal copy of Outlook at home?

3) synchronisation. my wife and i currently synch our PalmPilots to

different folders within Outlook at home (ie, two calender folders -

one each). Pocketmirror, the palm supplied synch software, allows

this. Will activesync co-exist with pocketmirror and let us continue

to do this?

5) will these devices work as a standalone PDA if i find i still prefer

my 6310? (ie work without a sim, connect to net via the phone modem

and bluetooth, synch with desktop apps)

5) anything i should be aware of coming from Palm devices for close to

10 years?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

1 - Yes and yes (vibrate is much better on the Wizard than the Magician imho)

2 - No - only one or the other (on WM2003 - come to think of it AS is a little more robust on WM5, but i haven't had chance ot test it with an Exchange server yet - don't bank on it working!)

3 - No such thing exists for WM - you'd have to create completely separate user accounts on your Windows PC

4 - Yes, you can use any WMPPCPE device completely SIM-less

5 - Only interesting news re. Palm is that theres a WM5 Palm Treo coming out next year :)

2 - No - only one or the other (on WM2003 - come to think of it AS is a little more robust on WM5, but i haven't had chance ot test it with an Exchange server yet - don't bank on it working!)

3 - No such thing exists for WM - you'd have to create completely separate user accounts on your Windows PC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply.

re:2) Is activesync to a corporate Outlook account really that flaky? i'd thought that would be the easy part.

re:3) I had thought this might be a bit more difficult. It took long enough to get it working with Palm. I can't see why SWMBO's Palm wont keep synching as it is now but you're pretty certain activesync won't play ball across two PC's? Maybe it's time to look again at the Treo...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Sorry i worded that really badly on re-reading!

Exchange works fantastically, it really is good (and keeps PC/laptop/Mobile device all synced). I actually meant dont bank on being able to sync with both Exchange and a desktop PC with Windows Mobile 5! You couldn't on WM2003, however i've not had chance to test any of my WM5 devices with an Exchange server (yet).

You can sync via BT/USB with multiple PCs though.

Sorry i worded that really badly on re-reading!

Exchange works fantastically, it really is good (and keeps PC/laptop/Mobile device all synced).  (snip)

You can sync via BT/USB with multiple PCs though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok - i think i asked the wrong question. I don't (currently) plan on synching with exchange from handheld over the phone network - i want to connect (via usb) to a pc at work that is connected to exchange and to a pc at home (again via usb).

It sounds as if that is a doddle. If that works - and i sync with the default folders on the home pc - i dont see that it will interfere with my wife synching her Palm to the 'additional' folders we have set up on Outlook.

Guest psionandy
Ok - i think i asked the wrong question.  I don't (currently) plan on synching with exchange from handheld over the phone network - i want to connect (via usb) to a pc at work that is connected to exchange and to a pc at home (again via usb). 

It sounds as if that is a doddle.  If that works - and i sync with the default folders on the home pc - i dont see that it will interfere with my wife synching her Palm to the 'additional' folders we have set up on Outlook.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At work I sync with my copy of outlook... which is plugged into exchange server, and outlook at home which is stand alone... (works great except you can only sync email in one place)

At work I sync with my copy of outlook... which is plugged into exchange server, and outlook at home which is stand alone... (works great except you can only sync email in one place)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I don't think i'll sync either email from either place. What i'll probably do is install a seperate email client to pick up pop email from a particular one of my personal email accounts - (or maybe do this via Pocket Outlook).

Guest psionandy

Does palm know what operating system it will be running next year ? :)

Two Operating Systems? Cool. Will it run Linux as well???  :D  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Driekus
5) anything i should be aware of coming from Palm devices for close to

10 years?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recently switched from a Tungsten T to a Magician. Don't expect to have the up to two weeks of standby time you can have with your Palm. I'm pretty sure this goes for all pocket pc phones, as the radio function is a big power consumer (as is the much better display and probably the processor).

But I don't think I will ever go back...