Managing my Gmail account on the Vario

Guest DancingMatt

Guest DancingMatt

Hi

When I get a Vario, I want to be able to download emails from my Gmail account directly onto it using Outlook. I know that bit's easy.

In order to keep it tidy/quick and save storage space, I don't want to keep them all on there forever, but I do archive a lot of mail in my Gmail account. So how can I delete wanted emails from my Vario and not from gmail.google.com? Say ones that are over 2 weeks old?

Is this going to require the old smartphone workaround of deleting emails and syncing it to get rid of them completely, then deleting emails and clearing out the deleted items folder before syncing for the ones I want to keep on the server?

There will be some rubbish emails that I actually do want to completely delete - will I be able to do that too?

And will any emails I send from my Vario also get synced and be viewable in the sent folder at gmail.google.com?

Please let me know

Thanks a lot

DM

• 3 months later...
Guest uwaku

You don't have to use Outlook to download to your Vario. I'm using the MDA now and there are two other ways to do this.

1. Be a TMO customer & use my.email, which handles all your email accounts, and doesn't delete them from the servers.

2. Setup the email account yourself and tell the phone to check every XX minutes. This also doesn't remove them from the server.

I use the first option so my phone only checks mail when I have new mail, and I delete any mail I don't want. In PPCPE 2003 I told it to delete the files completely, and also never to save Sent copies. When I deleted something from my phone, it was gone. The email would still be on the server, though, and when I got home & opened Outlook, there was all the email.

As far as I can tell, mail sent from anywhere other than the gmail website doesn't go into Sent Mail.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stabilo
You don't have to use Outlook to download to your Vario. I'm using the MDA now and there are two other ways to do this.

1. Be a TMO customer & use my.email, which handles all your email accounts, and doesn't delete them from the servers.

2. Setup the email account yourself and tell the phone to check every XX minutes. This also doesn't remove them from the server.

I use the first option so my phone only checks mail when I have new mail, and I delete any mail I don't want. In PPCPE 2003 I told it to delete the files completely, and also never to save Sent copies. When I deleted something from my phone, it was gone. The email would still be on the server, though, and when I got home & opened Outlook, there was all the email.

As far as I can tell, mail sent from anywhere other than the gmail website doesn't go into Sent Mail.

With option 2 is there anyway of ensuring unread emails (on the Vario not server) are NOT deleted each time it connects to the server?