PQz for HTC Universal devices (including M5000)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Many thanks to awarner for alerting me to this little gem of an application, PQz for the HTC Universal (click here to visit the application page!). HTC Universal devices include the SPV M5000, XDA Exec etc. etc.

So what is PQz?

PQz for Universal is a very useful keyboard helper software. If you would like to use CTRL/ALT hardware key on your Universal that PQz is.

It's a known fact amongst tweak enthusiasts that CTRL/ALT functionality such as copying and pasting is implemented on Pocket PCs and even Smartphones, despite the fact the input method doesn't provide a way to use it.

PQz fixes that, by providing a way to map keys on the Universal keyboard to the CTRL/ALT functions, and even providing an icon to indicate the current state.

That's not all this application offers tho... PQz offers options to automatically set the SIP mode (the input panel mode, e.g. onscreen keyboard, TenGo etc) when the devices orientation is switched between landscape / portrait... very cool.

A very neat application... I've mailed the developer suggesting that the indicator icon also serves as a CAP-FN lock indicator (my pet Universal hate is that there is no onscreen indication of the CAP-FN lock state), so watch this space.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention... it's free! :)

Enjoy! :D

P

013.jpg

014.jpg

Guest battletank

Although specifically flagged as being for the Universal, I've been testing this on a Wizard (which suffers exactly the same shortcomings) and it appears to work perfectly. Similarly, indication of the CAP/Fn lock state would also be useful!

Now - I seem to recall there is a 'dummy' soft input panel around somewhere - in combination with this app, I could have a virtual keyboard in portrait, and no annoying SIP popping up in landscape. Nice! (Now - can SOMEONE please advise where I can find the dummy SIP?)

EDIT: Found the blank SIP which works perfectly with this HERE...

Edited by battletank

"It's a known fact amongst tweak enthusiasts that CTRL/ALT functionality such as copying and pasting is implemented on Pocket PCs and even Smartphones, despite the fact the input method doesn't provide a way to use it."

Can someone tell me (and others) how this is implented into the smartphone (either by tweak or something else)...this is something I have been waiting for for ages on the smartphone, and I have only found 3 part software which has this kind of functionality (copy/paste function)...but if someone knows about it PLEASEEEEEE let me know as this is one of the BIG flaws (imho) of the smartphone....

Please let me know

Guest battletank
Can someone tell me (and others) how this is implented into the smartphone (either by tweak or something else)...

It just is. It's there. No hack or tweak necessary. If you have a keyboard with a Ctl or Alt key, they'll function, and the usual key combo's will work (ie. Ctl-C, Ctl-X, Ctl-V etc).

It just is.  It's there.  No hack or tweak necessary.  If you have a keyboard with a Ctl or Alt key, they'll function, and the usual key combo's will work (ie. Ctl-C, Ctl-X, Ctl-V etc).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

okay so it is only if you have an external keyboard connected that this is usable...thought for a sec. that I could use it or tweak the phone so that I would have a copy/paste function with the "build in" keypad and Jstick.... but I guess not :cry:

okay so it is only if you have an external keyboard connected that this is usable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be wrong on your device, but don't all of the PPC phones have the same basic keyboard input plugin? It has a ctrl key on it that will do this.

okay so it is only if you have an external keyboard connected that this is usable...thought for a sec. that I could use it or tweak the phone so that I would have a copy/paste function with the "build in" keypad and Jstick.... but I guess not  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

xBar lets you do copy&paste on a smartphone.

• 4 months later...
Guest mmmaiki

Thanks for the tip. I have downloaded it, and will try it on my T-Mobile MDA (HTC Wizard).

I'm not sure how to use it though. The English translation of the Japanese instructions on the web site is pretty unclear to me.

For instance, what keys do you press to get the CTRL key functionality-Copy, Paste, etc.?

Has this app caused problems for anyone?

Any info on using this applet would be appreciated. Thank you.

Many thanks to awarner for alerting me to this little gem of an application, PQz for the HTC Universal (click here to visit the application page!). HTC Universal devices include the SPV M5000, XDA Exec etc. etc.

So what is PQz?

It's a known fact amongst tweak enthusiasts that CTRL/ALT functionality such as copying and pasting is implemented on Pocket PCs and even Smartphones, despite the fact the input method doesn't provide a way to use it.

PQz fixes that, by providing a way to map keys on the Universal keyboard to the CTRL/ALT functions, and even providing an icon to indicate the current state.

That's not all this application offers tho... PQz offers options to automatically set the SIP mode (the input panel mode, e.g. onscreen keyboard, TenGo etc) when the devices orientation is switched between landscape / portrait... very cool.

A very neat application... I've mailed the developer suggesting that the indicator icon also serves as a CAP-FN lock indicator (my pet Universal hate is that there is no onscreen indication of the CAP-FN lock state), so watch this space.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention... it's free! ;)

Enjoy! :P

P

013.jpg

014.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.