Differences between the SP5/SP5m...

Guest IS300Racer

SP5m has some extra buttons for easily playing music files. That's it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had both phones for 1 month and can say that I very much prefer the SP5m. The keys are much easier to use and easier to locate as with the SP5 all keys have the same size and are not separated. With the SP5 you can not accept a call without looking at you keypad with the SP5M you can. Furthermore I like the windows media player buttons very much and the phone feels stronger than the SP5 due to the partial metal casing. Another thing I like is the fact it has rounded borders which feel much better when you have the phone in your pocket.

Hmm, i can answer my SP5 without looking at the keyboard.. its like every other phone i had, after a week or two you remember exactly where the keys are.

I personally don't find the keys small at all. Using a 6230 alot, they actually feel bigger. I just don't like the look of the SP5m because it reminds me of those old plastic motorola phones. But then i havn't seen it or held it for real. How does it look? metalic? plastic? or a bit of both?

Guest rsearley
Hmm, i can answer my SP5 without looking at the keyboard.. its like every other phone i had, after a week or two you remember exactly where the keys are.

I personally don't find the keys small at all.  Using a 6230 alot, they actually feel bigger.  I just don't like the look of the SP5m because it reminds me of those old plastic motorola phones.  But then i havn't seen it or held it for real.  How does it look?  metalic? plastic? or a bit of both?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the sp5m is quite well finished, i have to say its more metalic than plastic, sort of aluminium with titanim inlay (2 colour finish)

nicly finished corners, feels good in the hands

i use auto phonelock which locks after an hour, and pin code required to unlock

my only gripe, when i check my email at 3am in the morning from my bed, you press a button and the key lights come on for about 5 seconds the go out, so you have to be fast putting the code in or it goes dark, and the keys dont relight with subsecquent key presses until it is unlocked

beyong that i was quite happy to find when i bonded the phone to my parrot car kit the phone book and call log automatically syncs as it does with nokia's

tomtom mobile works a treat.

created my own home screen layout to suite what i need..

all in all i think i can say this is the first phone i have had for a few years that i think is a 'keeper'

Guest fluffcat1
only the sides are metal the front, back top and bottom are plastic and if you drop your phone the finish will come of and show the white plastic.

It feels very plastic to me - doesn't get cold to the touch like a c500 does in a cold room. Still it's a nice grade of plastic, if it in fact is plastic. I'll know more once I strip one.

It would also be unusual to have metal sides - all the HTC smartphones I've had in bits have had plastic chassis.

Richard

EDIT - left it in a cold room for an un-scientific experiment - the duller grey in an H shape on the front/sides does get cold so probably is metal.

Edited by fluffcat1

Guest saldous

How about how the SP5 compares to the Qtek 8310? Are they exactly the same but with different logos on? Obviously the ROM is different, but could you put the SP5 ROM on to the Qtek?

the sp5 is the same as the qtek 8310 only the rom is different and thats probably only the boot up logos and the free software you get on them :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i don't think there's any difference at all in the rom apart from cosmetics. AFAIK you can no longer put i-mate roms on the qtek. But it really isn't that much of an issue, i hear qtek now have some sort of support site so its easy to get roms.

Want to decide i-mate or qtek for the SP5/8310 then consider:

- i-mate comes with really rubish support, and you can download roms from their site

- qtek comes with next to no support, and now you can download roms too

=> No real difference there

- i-mate has "i-mate SP5" written on the top in white

- qtek has a more subtle qtek in blue.

=> Down to personal preference

- i-mate comes with Antivirus, backgammon and lines game

- Qtek comes with clearvue (and anything else? sorry don't know)

=> AV is useless.. Clearvue (office viewers eg. word, excel, pdf etc) IS full version, which you can't even buy from Westtek for SP5/8310 yet. Oh and that version won't install on SP5 unless.. well thats another story.

- i-mate comes with 1 year waranty, and a numbe of 'repair centers' - how good these are i don't know.. from their forums it sounds like the most of the ones outside asia are not open yet, and those that are just send it back to dubai

- qtek comes with 2 year waranty - return to base afaik

=> 2 year waranty sounds like a better deal i think, but i guess it depends where you live, you may prefer having the repair shops local to you

- i-mate costs about 5% more in most regions

- qtek is about 5% less than i-mate in most regions, also its on some operators very soon.

So... it really depends on what you consider important, but in my opinion there really isnt much between them.. Me? i got an i-mate.. why? because it was the first one in stock!

hehe i was just about to reply to your other post..

yeah just buy the first one thats in stock.. the price difference isn't huge, and all the differences i mentioned are small - except waranty - but to me i think there's more chance of me dropping it on the floor and breaking it than having a genuine waranty problem. Besides phone insurance here in the uk is much more usefull.

Guest rsearley

easydevices.co.uk have the sp5m in stock

Yeah, i don't think there's any difference at all in the rom apart from cosmetics.  AFAIK you can no longer put i-mate roms on the qtek.  But it really isn't that much of an issue, i hear qtek now have some sort of support site so its easy to get roms.

Want to decide i-mate or qtek for the SP5/8310 then consider:

- i-mate comes with really rubish support, and you can download roms from their site

- qtek comes with next to no support, and now you can download roms too

=> No real difference there

- i-mate has "i-mate SP5" written on the top in white

- qtek has a more subtle qtek in blue.

=> Down to personal preference

- i-mate comes with Antivirus, backgammon and lines game

- Qtek comes with clearvue (and anything else? sorry don't know)

=> AV is useless.. Clearvue (office viewers eg. word, excel, pdf etc) IS full version, which you can't even buy from Westtek for SP5/8310 yet.  Oh and that version won't install on SP5 unless.. well thats another story.

- i-mate comes with 1 year waranty, and a numbe of 'repair centers' - how good these are i don't know.. from their forums it sounds like the most of the ones outside asia are not open yet, and those that are just send it back to dubai

- qtek comes with 2 year waranty - return to base afaik

=> 2 year waranty sounds like a better deal i think, but i guess it depends where you live, you may prefer having the repair shops local to you

- i-mate costs about 5% more in most regions

- qtek is about 5% less than i-mate in most regions, also its on some operators very soon.

So... it really depends on what you consider important, but in my opinion there really isnt much between them.. Me? i got an i-mate.. why? because it was the first one in stock!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>