M5000 Fault - You've never seen anything like it!

Guest Geniarse

Guest Geniarse

Bought a brand new Orange M5000 (unlocked) handset from a chap on eBay for... well let's just say it wasn't cheap!!

Anyhow, after a week of blissful showing off to work colleagues (they have HTC Wizards and HTC Magicians) I opened it one morning and to my utter horror :cry: the screen is now displayed in MIRROR IMAGE!!!

Yes, read slowly!!! MIRROR IMAGE!!! (see attached pic)

Yes, I have hard reset the unit. Yes, I have checked and re-checked anything to do with the screen on WM5.0.

My questions are –

The Orange M5000 box does not seem to have any warranty card in it. Should it? As this is my only recourse to warranty (as far as I know) because the unit wasn’t bought on any form of contract.

Also does anyone have any information regarding HTC warranty? (If there is such a thing)

Any other help would be really, REALLY appreciated with this one…

post-1932-1133431893_thumb.jpg

Guest fluffcat1

Hello

I'd get in touch with HTC directly if you want warranty service - they take the seriel number as the warranty and don't need any paperwork from orange to repair.

www.htceurope.com

You won't need to go back to the ebay seller for anything, besdies which it was working when you got it ( as you have stated in a public internet forum - d'oh!) so he/she could argue you broke by installing something etc etc it if you try to claim unfit for purpose - unless they have sold it on ebay trading as a business.

Caveat Emptor on ebay *unless* the (private) seller states it has a warranty from them. Paypal buyer protection is a joke. They'll side with the merchant as if they pay you out they loose their fee.

Are there any universal firmwares you could try flashing onto it? Had this with an ipaq 3630 years ago and a flash sorted it.

It sounds like the display driver is screwed up - have you done a proper hard reset or just left the battery out for a bit etc?

Can't see it being much needed to sort it - it isn't a physical fault unless the swivel magnet thingy's buggered.

Richard

Guest philtech44

OMG! an OrangeM5000 off eBay??

what were you thinking geni-arse?!

Its only been released for less than 30 days!!

Did you get warranty transferred? (if that's poss?)

What's that sound the computer (Mr Babbage) makes on Family Fortunes?!

Guest JonStatt

Actually this is very likely a hardware fault. It is not the first time I have seen it. I had it on a normal non-touch phone screen before on a flip phone. Everytime I opened and closed it, it gradually put strain on the cables running to the screen and eventually the same thing happened. If I pressed on a part of the phone, the screen went back to normal probably as I was rejoining the damaged part of the ribbon cable. I am not sure how LCD screens are wired such that this can happen though.

Jonathan

Guest fluffcat1
:idea: Simply carry a small mirror everywhere you go, problem solved!  :idea:

:twisted:

Or do what those other guys suggested.  :roll:

Do you perhaps work for Orange customer services? Sounds like something they'd suggest....

Richard

Guest Geniarse

Well just to let you know I took the advice of fluffcat1 to call HTC Warrany in the UK....

And what a pleasant surprise that was!!!

They have a brilliant website and the guy on the phone emailed me all the details when I called to query the whole warranty thing. (which ALL HTC handsets in the UK are!)

He said the turnaround will be 5 days from receipt of item!!

Why do I/We bother with Orange Care....

Guest stanthebiker
Well just to let you know I took the advice of fluffcat1 to call HTC Warrany in the UK....

They have a brilliant website and the guy on the phone emailed me all the details when I called to query the whole warranty thing. (which ALL HTC handsets in the UK are!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to hear you had a good result.

Guest fluffcat1

Excellent! 5 day turnaround is probably a bit optimistic. Expect it gone for around 10 days if c500's are anything to go by. You needn't have called though as the website will tell you immediatley if it's under warranty and they aren't the best at answering the phone. Check it carefully for fit and finish when it comes back as if it's anything like recent HTC pocket PC's I've had in bits it'll be a fiddly job.

Orange care covers you if you smash / loose the Universal. Doubt HTC would send you another for the £15 excess of orange care...

Richard

Richard

Guest philtech44

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blimey! what a reeesult mate! let us know what happens when you get it back - ie, repair quality, etc