No GPRS :(

Guest bennish

Guest bennish

Hey guys. Having an awful time with gprs.

I just got a prepaid sim card, and set up gprs - it connects, and then pocket ie says "The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later".

The thing is, i've tried the sim on my old eten m500 (similar to original jam, with ppc 2003se), and it works PERFECTLY - i can surf the web with great ease.

So does anyone have any ideas? It's definitely the kjam... i don't want to do a hard reset. It seems as though it's just pocket ie.

Does the 'my network card connects to work/the internet' have anything to do with it?

I just got a prepaid sim card, and set up gprs - it connects, and then pocket ie says "The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the prepay SIM are you using Internet or WAP access ?

If you are using WAP then are you using a proxy connection ?

Check the Eten M500 to confirm which settings you are using.

Guest bennish

never mind... it's working, as i knew it would once i made a fool of myself on here :oops:

Silliest thing though. In wm2003, i put the settings in 'My ISP'. In WM5, it wouldn't work until i made *new* ones, and selected 'this network connects to the internet' (which isn't available in the 'my isp' section on either os).

All's well that ends well. I didn't realise gprs was quite so fast. Was expecting equivalent of a 33k modem :) yaaaaay (and prepaid means i can't work myself into debt)

By the way, the above may help other WM5 users who are putting their settings in 'My ISP'...?

Edited by bennish

You should know that anything that absolutely refuses to work will be almost guaranteed to work when you show someone else. It happens all the time to me :)

The connection data you create in Settings are stored in the registry so it may be that the registry was a bit wrong and that the re-creation sorted it out.

Guest MitchellO

Thats the same reason I was hesitant to use GPRS on my old telstra plan. I am vith Virgin Mobile now, and they don't offer GPRS yet (they say the will in December sometime), so I am still using my optus GPRS. Works great!! :) :D ;)

Guest bennish

Ha! December indeed. They told me the exact same thing November 2004!

I don't think it'll happen. I'm trying to decide whether to get a dual/ghost sim to run virgin and optus, or to just go with optus. They have some pretty ok deals it seems, bonus text credit and such...

ps - made this post from my kjam! what a nice little device :)

Edited by bennish

Guest MitchellO

Don't buy a supersim or anything like that to use with Virgin as it will not work. I tred everything to get my Virgin sim to copy to the supersim, but it just doesn't work.

Guest bennish

yeah i read up on that - seems the virgin ones along with others are a newer generation that the supersim just doesn't support.

I don't like how my phone feels with a 2nd sim shoved in the back either... i looked at isim, but when i asked them about gprs they said only wap gprs, not internet gprs. which sucks because their calls and stuff are fantastic.

Guest MitchellO
never mind... it's working, as i knew it would once i made a fool of myself on here

Not a fool mate :) Wouldn't be much of a forum without questions :D