is the Wizard too slow?

Guest timmillwood

Guest timmillwood

is the Wizard too slow?

i have noticed the wizard (MDA Vario) only has a 200Mhz processer where as the MDA compact has a 400Mhz processer.

is this true?

i like the vario because of the keyboard but if the compact is twice as fast that might be better, but i dont think i could handle it with mainly touch screen.

Guest battletank
is the Wizard too slow?

i have noticed the wizard (MDA Vario) only has a 200Mhz processer where as the MDA compact has a 400Mhz processer.

is this true?

i like the vario because of the keyboard but if the compact is twice as fast that might be better, but i dont think i could handle it with mainly touch screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Clock speed isn't everything - different processor. I would say the speed of the Wizard is comparable to that of the Magician, particularly once you make the registry changes which enable caching.

Guest Peppermint Hippo
what about the SPV? M6000? is that faster?

but, is it also too big?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got a Wizard (MDA Vario) and a Magician (VPA Compact) and i would say, on the whole, the Wizard is faster.

Got a Wizard (MDA Vario) and a Magician (VPA Compact) and i would say, on the whole, the Wizard is faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this before or after the registry changes on the Wizard?

I have a Qtek 9100 and a SPV M500 (Magician) and I would say speed-wise the Magician has the edge. I haven't made any changes to the registry of either.

Guest TomaHawk
particularly once you make the registry changes which enable caching.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where are these registry changes you speak of and what do they do?

Guest Peppermint Hippo
Is this before or after the registry changes on the Wizard?

I have a Qtek 9100 and a SPV M500 (Magician) and I would say speed-wise the Magician has the edge. I haven't made any changes to the registry of either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've not done any changes in the registry. I'm not that clever! :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I was shocked to find the Wizard only had a 200mhz cpu. Runs sweet though, and i have implemented the reg hacks :)

I'd say my MDA Compact is a touch slower, not used it much since flashing the TMob ROM update on though...

Guest bennish

it's very nice and fast. as fast as my previous 400mhz device (same as the magician). only thing is, the more stuff u put on, the slower it gets. like all computers... ah well :)

Yea, some reg hacks re. the ram cache help. i tried 8meg, but somewhere (tweaks2k2) said 4meg is better. anyone know at all?

Maybe someone should do a thread: The Ultimate Wizard Performance Guide with all the right settings to have a Wizard as powerful as Galdalf :D

p.s. there is going to be overclocking support for the wizard's cpu in mid december. might give it a slight edge over even the 400mhz devices.

Edited by bennish