i-mate, are you reading here?

Guest michehrlich

Guest michehrlich

Does anyone know whether i-mate reads here to learn about user experience? I hope so, and I have the following message to the marketer of the SP5:

Dear i-mate, anything can and should and probably will be improved over time. But there are two very serious issues with the interface of the SP5 which you should release a fix for immediately:

1. As already pointed out in another thread on this site, you must fix the keypad illumunation so that it's possible to set so that it doesn't go out after a few seconds. Currently it's impossible to change this, and it makes it impossible to use the phone effectively in a car at night.

2. If Calendar items, or Task items that have reminders, come up on the device while the keypad is locked, then it is impossible to snooze them. It is possible to get the snooze menu to come up, but not possible to move the cursor or to choose a snooze time. Indeed, the only thing that it is possible to do is to DISMISS the item, even though this is very often NOT what the user wishes to do (because that means there will be no subsequent reminders!). This is even worse than the keypad illumination issue, because it renders Calendar and Tasks pretty much useless if the keypad is locked, and most experienced users keep their keypads locked most of the time.

If any Modaco users have, in the meantime, discovered any other ways to fix this, please post them again to this thread.

And, once again: Hey, i-mate, listen up!

Guest rsearley

:-)

i dont think imate read thier own forums :-)

Does anyone know whether i-mate reads here to learn about user experience? I hope so, and I have the following message to the marketer of the SP5:

Dear i-mate, anything can and should and probably will be improved over time. But there are two very serious issues with the interface of the SP5 which you should release a fix for immediately:

1. As already pointed out in another thread on this site, you must fix the keypad illumunation so that it's possible to set so that it doesn't go out after a few seconds. Currently it's impossible to change this, and it makes it impossible to use the phone effectively in a car at night.

2. If Calendar items, or Task items that have reminders, come up on the device while the keypad is locked, then it is impossible to snooze them. It is possible to get the snooze menu to come up, but not possible to move the cursor or to choose a snooze time. Indeed, the only thing that it is possible to do is to DISMISS the item, even though this is very often NOT what the user wishes to do (because that means there will be no subsequent reminders!). This is even worse than the keypad illumination issue, because it renders Calendar and Tasks pretty much useless if the keypad is locked, and most experienced users keep their keypads locked most of the time.

If any Modaco users have, in the meantime, discovered any other ways to fix this, please post them again to this thread.

And, once again: Hey, i-mate, listen up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest vwilsonuk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could use the in-car lamp (usually included just behind the rear-view mirror) and then you'd be able to see your handset without the backlight.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Correct, they don't read their own forums, and they don't read their emails when people contact them offering to help them with their forums :)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Correct, they don't read their own forums, and they don't read their emails when people contact them offering to help them with their forums :)

P

Guest dalyboy
2. If Calendar items, or Task items that have reminders, come up on the device while the keypad is locked, then it is impossible to snooze them. It is possible to get the snooze menu to come up, but not possible to move the cursor or to choose a snooze time. Indeed, the only thing that it is possible to do is to DISMISS the item, even though this is very often NOT what the user wishes to do (because that means there will be no subsequent reminders!).

I don't if this works on the SP5, I have an SP3i. I use the auto-key lock utility, and like to use the SP3i as my alarm clock. Whenever the alarm goes off I use the power/standby button to switch the screen backlight on(if it's needed), then I press the right soft-key(as left key is Dismiss), the menu then displays and I choose the option by using the appropriate number key instead of the joystick. This works for me as I have successfully snoozed on many occasions.

Hope this helps,

dalyboy

Guest UniqueTouch

It is possible to get the snooze menu to come up, but not possible to move the cursor or to choose a snooze time. Indeed, the only thing that it is possible to do is to DISMISS the item, even though this is very often NOT what the user wishes to do (because that means there will be no subsequent reminders!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the menu comes up, you're right that you can't navigate using the joystick...BUT you can press the associated number on your keypad which is listed to the menu item. That works but bloody annoying.

I think that's an MS bug and not i-mates.

Guest cellchamp
I don't if this works on the SP5, I have an SP3i. I use the auto-key lock utility, and like to use the SP3i as my alarm clock. Whenever the alarm goes off I use the power/standby button to switch the screen backlight on(if it's needed), then I press the right soft-key(as left key is Dismiss), the menu then displays and I choose the option by using the appropriate number key instead of the joystick. This works for me as I have successfully snoozed on many occasions.

Hope this helps,

dalyboy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

friend where can i get the auto key lock utility for my SP5m?

Also, where is the option on the phone to lock the keypad?

Guest michehrlich
When the menu comes up, you're right that you can't navigate using the joystick...BUT you can press the associated number on your keypad which is listed to the menu item. That works but bloody annoying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does work, and it is annoying, but it's better than nothing! Thanks very much to you and dalyboy.

I think that's an MS bug and not i-mates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it is i-mate's issue. Let me quote Daniel Melanchthon, an employee of Microsoft Germany: "WM is a framework which manufacturers use and adapt to their hardware, partly building in their own drivers. The OS which then runs on the device is compiled specifically for that device."

This applies also to the keypad illumination issue. Elsewhere on this blog someone suggested that was also an MS bug. I think it's fairly certain that most, if not all, issues relating to the hardware interface are issues belonging to the manufacturer of the hardware.

I would also add that while Microsoft isn't perfect, they would never be guilty of such an egregious design flaw, at this generational stage of a product, as keypad illumination that goes out immediately and cannot be adjusted.

Thanks again for people's tips re snooze when keypad locked -- already a huge improvement to my working life! Not as good as being able to use the joystick, but good enough.

Guest dalyboy
friend where can i get the auto key lock utility for my SP5m?

Also, where is the option on the phone to lock the keypad?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if the auto-lock utility works on WM5.0, go here for the thread for 2003 devices:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=204978&hl=keylock

I think it may work for WM5.0, but the thread is huge so I never checked for sure.

If you want to lock you're SP5m manually I think u have to hold down the 'end-call' key for a couple of seconds it should then lock the keypad. At least thats how i do it with my SP3i.

Cheers,

dalyboy

Guest michehrlich
Pressing and holding the red end call button does lock an SP5. The keylock utility is available for WM5 here. It's a great little app. 8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey cool tip wired and dalyboy! I was resigned to doing it the long way round (pressing the power key on top to get the quicklist, then choosing keylock).

Wow, two great time-saving tips in one week -- way to go, MoDaCo!

Guest saldous
Pressing and holding the red end call button does lock an SP5. The keylock utility is available for WM5 here. It's a great little app. 8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perfect. I knew about holding down the end call button (I found this by mistake) but what I really wanted was the auto lock and clock on the screensaver. Thank you sooo much.