Exchange Server ActiveSync Web Admin Tool Released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

This one is for all those Exchange Server administrators out there who have upgraded to Exchange SP2 in preperation for the MSFP release of Windows Mobile 5.

This simple-to-install web console will allow you to connect in via a web browser to remote wipe devices in the event of them being stolen.

The official pitch:

The Microsoft Exchange Server ActiveSync Web Administration tool enables administrators to manage the process of remotely erasing lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised mobile devices.

By using the Exchange Server ActiveSync Web Administration Web tool, administrators can perform the following actions:

• View a list of all devices that are being used by any enterprise user

• Select/De-select devices to be remotely erased

• View the status of pending remote erase requests for each device

• View a transaction log that indicates which administrators have issued remote erase commands, in addition to the devices those commands pertained to

The Microsoft Exchange Server ActiveSync Web Administration Tool is designed for use With Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 and compatible mobile devices.

The download page can be found here at Microsoft Downloads.

An interesting side effect is that when you install and list the devices associated to your Exchange account, it lists all Windows Mobile devices every synced.

I've posted a screenshot of my list below... do you think i've probably had too many Windows Mobile devices? :)

P

mydevices.gif

Guest dm.wood

Woohoo ! So they finallly released Sp 2 for Exchange 2k3 :)

Aside from the remote management tool what issues did you have with the actual upgrade of Exchange to service pack 2 ? (none I hope!)

I have just got my Qtek 8310 on WM5 working with a self signed root certificate (thanks to this site detailing how to app unlock my phone and install the root Cert).

I am curious ..exactly how does the "push" feature work? Do I have to wander around all day with a permanent connection to my GPRS service, running the risk of silly data transfer charges from my selected service provider?

I thought I saw something about the "push" feature being triggered by an SMS message .... is this correct?

Im interested to hear how it actually works in practice so any answers to the above would be appreciated 8)

Guest Paul [MVP]

SP2 upgrade went pretty smoothly for me :)

Push is SMS atm, but with MSFP it will be using a permanent GPRS connection, hopefully with a low overhead!

P

Guest harrysaab

where is the link for installing root cert??

how does this work? exchange server and activesync web admin... can anyone provide step by step guide for me pls.

thanks.

Woohoo ! So they finallly released Sp 2 for Exchange 2k3  :)

Aside from the remote management tool what issues did you have with the actual upgrade of Exchange to service pack 2 ? (none I hope!)

I have just got my Qtek 8310 on WM5 working with a self signed root certificate (thanks to this site detailing how to app unlock my phone and install the root Cert).

I am curious ..exactly how does the "push" feature work? Do I have to wander around all day with a permanent connection to my GPRS service, running the risk of silly data transfer charges from my selected service provider?

I thought I saw something about the "push" feature being triggered by an SMS message .... is this correct?

Im interested to hear how it actually works in practice so any answers to the above would be appreciated  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SP2 upgrade went pretty smoothly for me :)

Push is SMS atm, but with MSFP it will be using a permanent GPRS connection, hopefully with a low overhead!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This blog entry from Jason Langridge gives some background of how 'direct push' works (and a link to another Microsoft blog that provides more detail). It works well... :D

Guest dm.wood
where is the link for installing root cert??

how does this work? exchange server and activesync web admin... can anyone provide step by step guide for me pls.

thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhm sorry mate .. I kinda got carried away with Paul's news.. reading back my comment would not make sense to anyone who has not done this before.. that being said the set up is too extensive to detail it all here and there are many white papers and technotes on the Microsoft support sites that provide much more detail. I recommend you read some of these to get an insight in to Mobile Activesync with an Exchange 2003 email server.

Try starting here:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluati...owa_mobile.mspx

To use mobile Activesync you need and Exchange 2003 Email server. Either your own (which I have) or one at work. At this time im not sure if you can subscribe to an activesync service, perhaps someone else out there would know?

On the subject of a root cert...

Basically when using WM5 and mobile activesync with an exchange 2003 email server you can synchronise your email, calendar and contacts on your server wirelessly using GPRS. Until now you had to trigger this manually on the mobile smartphone. The latest service pack for Exchange 2003 server avoids this by "pushing" your emails to your your WM5 smartphone. At the moment this is triggered by the Exchange email server sending an SMS to the phone however it will shortly be able to use MSFP which will require an "always on" connection such as GPRS.

Now the Root Cert bit. To keep your synchronised information secure whilst it is being transmitted across the internet you should use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer).

See link for a brief explanation of SSL:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSL.html

If you ever see a website using https://.... instead of just http://... it will be using SSL encryption to protect any data transmitted, (Internet Banking is a good example). Mobile Activesync can use the same process to protect any data transmitted to and from the Exchange email server and the mobile smartphone.

To do this requires a "certificate" which is either issued by a commercial CA (Certificate Authority) such as Verisign or you can create your own CA (Which is what I have).

The tricky bit with synching Mobile Activesync with an Exchange server is this....

The Mobile Smartphone, in this case WM5, expects to see a certificate (for SSL encryption) issued by a commercial CA such as Verisign. The phone actually has a list of commercial CA's installed. If it comes across an Activesync URL (website) that has an SSL encryption certificate issued by a non commercial CA (As in my case, as I have installed my own CA) it will not allow the phone to synchronise.

To get round this I had to Application unlock my mobile Smartphone (Qtek 8310) and then export the root certificate from my server. I then copied this to the phone and installed it. Once my phone had my server in its list of authorised CA's Mobile Activesync worked without any problems!

I know this does not provide step by step instructions as you requested however, as I said before the set up and configuration of this service would take many pages to detail, and there is no guarantee that what I could write as a guide would work for all.

If you have any specific questions after rearching this set up I would be happy to help.

:)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.