Bluetooth Headset Recomendations?

Guest Small Minded Design

Guest Small Minded Design

I'm looking for a bluetooth headset for my MDA Vario - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I've done a quick search but couldn't find any mentioned for the Vario.

Really only need it for use in the car and don't want to spend too much money. I've had a look at the Logitech and Jabra ones in the Modaco Shop - are these any good and are they compatible with the Vario/Wizard?

Any advice gladly received :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Any bluetooth headsets are compatible with any bluetooth device. The jabras are good, a little bulky though. The latest Plantronics look good...

Guest adchaffey
I'm looking for a bluetooth headset for my MDA Vario - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I've done a quick search but couldn't find any mentioned for the Vario.

Really only need it for use in the car and don't want to spend too much money. I've had a look at the Logitech and Jabra ones in the Modaco Shop - are these any good and are they compatible with the Vario/Wizard?

Any advice gladly received  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got a plantronics M3000. Quite old now, not even sure if they still sell it, but it's a great little headset. I've even accidently left it in my trouser pocket and washed my trousers TWICE now ( :oops: ) and it's still working fine!

Guest mr_naughty

I can recommend the BlueTrek G2. Small, light, amazing battery life, and ships with an in-car charger. I've had mine for a year in the car, only needed to charge it about 4 times. Also cheap as chips these days - I paid about £40 way back when, but a quick google search shows you can get them for about £27 now.

Only problem I've had with it is it can be a bit quiet, but then I drive an elise with a big subwoofer :)

Guest jonhitch
I can recommend the BlueTrek G2. Small, light, amazing battery life, and ships with an in-car charger. I've had mine for a year in the car, only needed to charge it about 4 times. Also cheap as chips these days - I paid about £40 way back when, but a quick google search shows you can get them for about £27 now.

Only problem I've had with it is it can be a bit quiet, but then I drive an elise with a big subwoofer  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks really good. Also you can get the new and improved G2+ for a couple of pounds more! (see below)

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6606.htm

"The new and improved Bluetrek G2, features an improved earpiece for a more comfortable fit and increased battery life. The Bluetrek G2 Plus, keeps all the great features of the original G2 but is finished in black with a exclusive smooth rubberised material. This special edition headset also includes a range of accessories to complement your G2 Plus; a car charger to power your headset in the car, and belt clip pouch and lanyard to give you multiple carrying solutions and much more."

I've just ordered one - will let you all know what I think!

Guest mr_naughty

>increased battery life

I've just charged my G2 for about the 5th time in 12 months. Once you've charged up your new G2+, you can probably sell the chargers on ebay.

Guest jonhitch

My G2+ arrived on Friday. I must say that this headset is fantastic! No problems pairing, clear reception and very easy to use. It comes with a car charger, mains charger and also a holder.

For just over £30 I'd recommend to all, especially when you compare to the comparative bulk, weight and price of other manufacturers models (eg JABRA)!

Guest DancingMatt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I've got a brand new, retail packaged, BlueTrek G2 for sale for £27 + £whatever it is to cover postage. Totally unused, I got it with my Vario and actually I have no use for it so just selling it for what its worth.

It only weighs 12 grams, is absolutely tiny, and unusually the ear clip can flip over and the buttons are positioned so it can be used with either ear. If anyone wants to buy it and would rather support me, a MoDaCo user, than some eBay user you don't know then please PM me. I have no idea what the rules of this forum are for selling stuff - hope I'm not upsetting anyone.

Ta

DM

Guest jonhitch

I'm still very happy with the Bluetrek G2+ headset. Not the most comfortable around - although perhaps I'm just not that used to those kind of headsets.

Compared with other units I wiould still recommend this - you can get the G2 for £27 plus postage or the G2+ (slightly improved with holder and additional charger for £30 plus postage.

Dancing Matt - I'm sure if you sell yours for £20-25 you'd get a buyer.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DarkEmerald
I can recommend the BlueTrek G2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I followed this recommendation (and others) and bought the BlueTrek GII. It arrived last night, and I have to tell you, I'm pretty disappointed. The sound quality, both ear and microphone, is very poor, and nothing I've done has improved it.

Pairing it as a headset gives somewhat better results than pairing it as handsfree, but neither is good enough to use.

I did some comparisons, recording voice mails and talking to real-live people, with the G2 and with the wired headset that came with my Wizard. The wired wins hands down.

I'm amazed that others here have found the sound quality to be good. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or I got a lemon--because my standards for sound quality aren't ridiculously high. This thing just isn't working well for me.

Just reading this thread... I HIGHLY recommend a flamingo! The link is in my signature... I've tried a plantronics and Motorola HS810 (which was pretty good), but the flamingo is definitely the best I've had so far...

Guest mr_naughty
I followed this recommendation (and others) and bought the BlueTrek GII. It arrived last night, and I have to tell you, I'm pretty disappointed. The sound quality, both ear and microphone, is very poor, and nothing I've done has improved it.

Pairing it as a headset gives somewhat better results than pairing it as handsfree, but neither is good enough to use.

I did some comparisons, recording voice mails and talking to real-live people, with the G2 and with the wired headset that came with my Wizard. The wired wins hands down.

I'm amazed that others here have found the sound quality to be good. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or I got a lemon--because my standards for sound quality aren't ridiculously high. This thing just isn't working well for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you will always get better sound quality from a wired unit. I've had a Jabra BT250, and the Bluetrek G2 and found that neither of them sounded as good as holding the phone against my head for either me or the person I was talking to, however both of these headsets are quite usable. If this is your first bluetooth headset, you may have been taken in a bit too much by the pap on the marketing material about great sound quality. The units are light, small, and have a tiny processor that has to turn your speech into a radio transmission to the phone - it isn't ever going to be CD quality.

In a noisy environment, you may need to adopt an 'Uhura pose' with your hand shielding the headset mic from external noise while you are speaking, and holding the headset more firmly in your ear when you are listening. However, in most cars, streets, server rooms, and other places where I use mine, it is generally usable without resorting to this.

I'd suggest that you see if you can try a few other headsets - get someone in a shop to let you pair up a sample unit and test it. Try other manufacturers and also a G2. This will tell you if you have bought a lemon (which is possible), and will give you a more accurate judgement of the available devices than you will get from reading the topics here.

Edited by mr_naughty

I bough a Bluetrek G2 and to say that I am dissapointed is an undertatement. I find it almost unusable.

I've tried it on my O2 XDA mini S and C500 and I've found it impossible to get the headset to reliably pick up my voice. As an example, if I leave an answer phone message for myself I can only just work out what I said due to periods where it has failed to record what I've said.

I think I shall be taking it back and getting a refund.

Rob

I think you will always get better sound quality from a wired unit.

I bought a Bluetrek G2 initially to use with my T-mobile Vario, and unfortunately I came to the same conclusion as you. Even though I can hear people very well, people on the other end say I sound as if I am speaking through a tunnel... muffled.

I was reading excellent reviews about the new Plantronics Discovery 640 and decided to give that a shot, and oh boy!!... The voice quality is excellent!!!! The funny thing is, people can hear me BETTER when I speak through the Plantronics than speaking without a Headset. Plus it is small, I wear it without a loop around my ear, and it's only 9grams.

The battery is supposedly not as good as the Bluetrek G2, but who cares? I get through a whole day without issues, and I charge it at night alongside my phone. I use this headset for phone, Skype, it's so small and light you forget you are wearing it.

So there you go. It's a bit more expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

Loukas

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Total Eclipse

I tried a bluetooth headset on my Vario last week (Monkey Mobile own brand one), and the quality was AWFUL - my wife could hardly understand what was saying, and when I moved the phone around while holding in my hand or by putting it down and waling away, the quality got even worse - I could hear interference all the time. Took it back to the shop, and the bloke there tested it on his own phone and thought it was fine. He let me exchange it for another one, and that is just as bad.

Is this a problem with a cheap headset, or does the Wizard (a T-Mobile Vario in this case) have serious problems with BT headsets?

So, Noo, have you had a chance to test the headset out yet? :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, yeah. I've never used a Bluetooth headset before, so have nothing to compare it to and this is based on only a couple of calls last night. All this is based on my playing, in my flat, so no tests outdoors, yet.

I hardly noticed it, when wearing it, as it's subtly light and is very comfy, too. Fits securely, so don't think it'll fall off, which showed when I tried to take it off and it fought to stay on :) It's also really quite small, which is great as I didn't like the idea of the larger headsets i've seen.

Setting it up was really simple and it recognises my Vario extremely quickly. had to test it a few times to realise this, as it took only a second, I reckoned.

Voice dialling was no problem. Sounds very clear, same as holding your phone to your ear, but without the weight and effort (obviously). People on the other end noticed a slight crackling, but I reckoned that was, possibly a sympton of Bluetooth.

Didn't test the range.

Cost me £40 delivered from fonejunkie.

All in - very pleased

Sorry, yeah. I've never used a Bluetooth headset before, so have nothing to compare it to and this is based on only a couple of calls last night. All this is based on my playing, in my flat, so no tests outdoors, yet.

I hardly noticed it, when wearing it, as it's subtly light and is very comfy, too. Fits securely, so don't think it'll fall off, which showed when I tried to take it off and it fought to stay on  :) It's also really quite small, which is great as I didn't like the idea of the larger headsets i've seen.

Setting it up was really simple and it recognises my Vario extremely quickly. had to test it a few times to realise this, as it took only a second, I reckoned.

Voice dialling was no problem. Sounds very clear, same as holding your phone to your ear, but without the weight and effort (obviously). People on the other end noticed a slight crackling, but I reckoned that was, possibly a sympton of Bluetooth.

Didn't test the range.

Cost me £40 delivered from fonejunkie.

All in - very pleased

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got a HBH-662 as well and use it in the car every day with my Vario, voice dial works perfectly and I have had no complaints about the quality or crackling even when on the move. The battery lasts a week on standby as well.

Shame the display only shows the number not the name but in the car I don't look at either anyway.

Guest Total Eclipse
I've got a HBH-662 as well and use it in the car every day with my Vario, voice dial works perfectly and I have had no complaints about the quality or crackling even when on the move. The battery lasts a week on standby as well.

Shame the display only shows the number not the name but in the car I don't look at either anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like the kind of thing I need then. I'll take this other headset back (again) and get a refund. Just hope that it's not actually a problem with my Vario then!

Edited by Total Eclipse

Sounds like the kind of thing I need then.  I'll take this other headset back (again) and get a refund. Just hope that it's not actually a problem with my Vario then!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose if it is a problem with your Vario, atleast you'll know, either way. Crossed fingers for you, that it isn't.