Got my Mini S today

Guest brykins

Guest brykins

First impressions:

It's bulky. Compared to my Jam, the Mini S is a handful. Not too sure yet if I am comfortable with it but need to give it a few days.

It seems sluggish - I have done the soft-reset-before-customising thing and so don't have all the O2 rubbish, and also done the few reg tweaks that are supposed to speed it up. Overall I'd guess that it's 10% slower than my Jam - perfectly useable but I guess that a device that is well over a year newer ought to be somewhat faster. Never mind.

I like the keyboard but worry about the sliding mechanism becoming loose over my eighteen month contract. Oh - and what a shame that the "O" is on the same key as the "9" because whener I want a zero, I keep getting a 9 by mistake.

Love the WiFi - connected first time and having installed Skype, I now have a perfectly useable internet phone.

Couple of questions:

(a) Having soft-reset before the O2 stuff installed, how do I actually FIND the cab files that O2 would have installed so I can see if there's anything I want to use?

(:) I'd like to be able to access the Start Menu using the keypad - is there any way to configure the soft buttons so that the left one brings up the start menu and the right one brings up something else?

© How do I know if I am connecting to my network at B or G speeds?

These are the three questions I have right now - I am sure there will be more.....

First impressions:

It's bulky. Compared to my Jam, the Mini S is a handful. Not too sure yet if I am comfortable with it but need to give it a few days.

Give it a few days and you wont even notice the difference

Couple of questions:

(a) Having soft-reset before the O2 stuff installed, how do I actually FIND the cab files that O2 would have installed so I can see if there's anything I want to use?

See if you could get hold of total commander, its a great app and once you load it type 'extended_rom' in the navigation bar, that will allow you to see the files.

Alternatively you can get the extended unlocker however there are problems with it renaming drives, anyway this allows you to see the extended_rom folder as the Storage folder.

(:) I'd like to be able to access the Start Menu using the keypad - is there any way to configure the soft buttons so that the left one brings up the start menu and the right one brings up something else?

use some of the other buttons, I acces the start menu using the button1(mail) just go to Start -> Settings -> Personal -> buttons and enjoy yourself

eg

comms button5 -> ok/close

mail button1 -> start menu

hth

jim

Edited by jfran

Guest brykins
Give it a few days and you wont even notice the difference

It's getting better - but still a lump in the pocket if I sit in the car without taking the phone out first!

See if you could get hold of total commander, its a great app and once you load it type 'extended_rom' in the navigation bar, that will allow you to see the files.

Alternatively you can get the extended unlocker however there are problems with it renaming drives, anyway this allows you to see the extended_rom folder as the Storage folder.

Dad that and copied all the files in there to my desktop and then deleted them all so that a hard reset doesn't install all the bumf. Does the extended unlocker make the extended rom into another storage rom, like the MakeBigRom hack used to on my Magician?

use some of the other buttons, I acces the start menu using the button1(mail) just go to Start -> Settings -> Personal -> buttons and enjoy yourself

But I want the other buttons to do what they already do....I just very rarely use the contacts button and would rather that brought up the Start Menu.

One other thing....I find that my Wizard keeps switching itself on for no reason. I have the lock set to lock all the buttons bar the power button, I turn it off and then it will switch itself back on at random - very annoying to find it in my pocket with it on when I have switched it off. What should I be looking for that might be making this happen?

Dad that and copied all the files in there to my desktop and then deleted them all so that a hard reset doesn't install all the bumf. Does the extended unlocker make the extended rom into another storage rom, like the MakeBigRom hack used to on my Magician?

Yes

But I want the other buttons to do what they already do....I just very rarely use the contacts button and would rather that brought up the Start Menu.
unfortunately you are stuck then

One other thing....I find that my Wizard keeps switching itself on for no reason. I have the lock set to lock all the buttons bar the power button, I turn it off and then it will switch itself back on at random - very annoying to find it in my pocket with it on when I have switched it off. What should I be looking for that might be making this happen?

try a soft reset, and if it continues, you may want to consider a hard reset.

rgs

Jim

Guest brykins
try a soft reset, and if it continues, you may want to consider a hard reset.

Soft reset didn't clear it - hard reset and installed stuff bit by bit and the problem cam back when I installed Skype.

Guest brykins
Have you got the latest edition of skype installed as shown here?

I did - though I did use the version for higher power processors - it could be that the low processor version would be better suited. Anyway - not sure if I will use Skype yet - am now trialling the Compact II and as that has no WiFi, Skype is less useful.

Guest andysalmon

I see you've chucked the Mini S. Was it poor compared to the II?

FYI, since it came out I've used the Sandisk combined wi-fi/256mb sd card which works well. Only pain is having to take it in and out.

Guest brykins
I see you've chucked the Mini S. Was it poor compared to the II?

I had an MDA Compact for almost a year and loved it to bits - by far the best phone/pda combo I could find. Renewal time came and I was tempted by the WiFi and the keyboard of the MiniS/Wizard.

Well - it's fat, no doubt about that. It's 6mm fatter and that makes it uncomfortable in the pocket. The WiFi is great but I can't use it all around the house (it's my house construction - the router is in a back office and the signal doesn't reach anywhere useful) and for email out and about, the T-Mobile 40MB of data more than compensates for no WiFi.

I was also concerned about the logevitiy of the Mini S - the keyboard slider looks like a weak point and people are already having problems with the stylus faling out. And I don't like extending styluses.

I also found that they keyboard was no help in using it one handed for texting at all (you really need a candybar phone for that) and for me, not that much quicker than Letter Recogniser (in fact - some symbols are far, far too many keypresses away - try to do some "quotes").

So - all in all, a bit of a disapointment for me.

My MDA Compact II landed this morning and it's lovely.....

I know the feeling, I have both the compact II and the vario, one has to go but its a tough decision .... but I mujst admit that having had a compact for a while the wizard has grown on me quite easily

rgs

Jim

Guest brykins
I know the feeling, I have both the compact II and the vario, one has to go but its a tough decision .... but I mujst admit that having had a compact for a while the wizard has grown on me quite easily

Turned out it was an easy decision for me....installed all my software on the CompactII this morning, everything running fine. Popped into town with it in my pocket, got home and picked up the Wizard and it felt far too big.

It's been returned.....went to the PO just now.