O2 Exec video playback stutter?

Guest dougguk

Guest dougguk

Hi all,

Had an orange C500 for the 9 months or so and am happy with it. Decided to add a O2 Exec to the list as it has a bigger screen and faster processer, WM5, etc. I can play movies on my C500 just fine (after reprocessing them to a smaller size using DIVX, etc).

I assumed that when I received the Exec, I wouldnt have to bother resizing my movies down from the 700MB size (I have a 1GB card) anymore as it has a 640x480 screen and a faster processor. Looks like I was wrong?!

Im using Betaplayer (TCPMP) and the movies are just under 640x480 in size.

Question is really: Do I still need to resize the movies to play smoothly on the device without stuttering? Have others tried playing films on the phone? What settings are best for buffer size, etc in TCPMP?

Also, I have figured out how to access the movies directly over the wireless network connected to my Media Center PC. Films play, but randomly decide to pause and start to buffer again. Is this a limitation of the 802.11b card that the O2 Exec has built in do you reckon?

Many thanks for any tips :)

• 2 weeks later...

The exec can handle the video ok....its the audio that is causing you problems.

A normal divx/xvid dvd rip (700mb ish) will have fairly good quality stereo mp3 audio. You can play around with the audio track with virtualdub or similar prog but you may as well re encode the whole lot. Try going for a high bitrate mono setting. Or if you must have stereo go for a low bitrate one.

Bit of trial and error till you are happy with the results.

Guest belfast-biker
Hi all,

Also, I have figured out how to access the movies directly over the wireless network connected to my Media Center PC.  Films play, but randomly decide to pause and start to buffer again.  Is this a limitation of the 802.11b card that the O2 Exec has built in do you reckon?

By jiggling with the settings, I managed to avoid this pause over wifi. Resulting video is a little less fluid than normal, but no more pause every 15 secs.

Well watchable.

Guest belfast-biker
By jiggling with the settings, I managed to avoid this pause over wifi.  Resulting video is a little less fluid than normal, but no more pause every 15 secs.

Well watchable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buggah!

After having to do a hard reset after some awful sw was installed, I now finmd it stuttering over wifi!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Genieuk

@belfast-biker,

what did you do do make the video more fluid. I've trying encoding in the lowest quality audio and VGA, using PocketDivXEncoder but the XDA Exec is still pausing every 15 seconds.

Any good encoding/viewing guide would be appreciated if someone has had good results from a whole movie. (BTW I have it now in Corporate mode and error reporting turned off)

Edited by Genieuk

Guest belfast-biker
what did you do do make the video more fluid. I've trying encoding in the lowest quality audio and VGA, using PocketDivXEncoder but the XDA Exec is still pausing every 15 seconds.

Are you playing that over wifi, or direct from SD card?

Guest Genieuk

I've been playin' around with it and tried both Wifi and from SD card.

From Wifi, I get a stutter every 20 odd seconds and can see that the data rate increases from my network (DUMeter) . I think the Exec is trying to buffer that data. I increased the buffer size in TCPMP to 8192, but still get the same problem.

It should try and keep a constant buffer?

Anyway SD card is better and I've encoded lowest audio quality 640x480 video and it play OK, but on fast moving images a a LOT of frames are skipped. (same video play ok on main PC so not a problem with the Video). Looks like the exec can't handle it.

WHY?

It should do since this thing it suppost to be a very powerful pocket PC.

My SPV-C500 plays video without a problem, no stuttering nothing (But it is less that a quarter of the resolution)

Anyway do you reckon its a software problem (ie. buffering, player not able to handle it etc) or can the hardware not handle it?

Guest belfast-biker
Anyway SD card is better and I've encoded lowest audio quality 640x480 video and it play OK, but on fast moving images a a LOT of frames are skipped. (same video play ok on main PC so not a problem with the Video). Looks like the exec can't handle it.

AFAIK, the XDA plays everything I throw at it with great speed if played from SD card.

Try encoding to 320 x 240 (or less depending on aspect ratio)

Have you got a high speed SD card? Might Help?

What are you using to re encode with? I have tried many but have only really been happy with the results I get from virtualdub (xvid/divx). There are loads of tutorials for this software and you can find settings to download for PPC encoding for it.

Havent really tried wireless streaming yet.....will have a play and see if I get the same probs