Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Guest darkstoner

Hey, love the tutorial man and thanks for the work you put in on it. Though, while reading through it and then getting ready to make my own theme... i realized how lazy i was and that i didn't want to go back and forth reading what each tag in the color scheme did. SO, i created this little template with all the discriptions you listed, right next to their tag.

There are a few missing and i thought i'd ask if any one could fill those in and/or add any missing ones not listed. :)

Enjoy the template peoples.

Smartphone___Blank_Homescreen.htm

[edit] P.S. i didn't put any plugins in it since it's mainly to help with the color scheme. i'll probably add them if some one else doesn't get to it first... *sigh* it's hard work being lazy lol

Edited by darkstoner

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dancer_69

capture1il6.png

By dancer_69 at 2007-08-12

I want to change the color of softkeys bar but it doesn't work. This is my color scheme:

<!-- Color Scheme -->

[/codebox]

As I read in the tutorial, I think its this:

COLOR_BTNFACE

Unselected background color for the soft key region

--and or this--

COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT

Starting color value for the title bar gradient.

COLOR_TRAYGRADRIGHT

Ending color value for the title bar gradient.

But whatever color I put it doesn't change. I have a blue like color and I want green.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi nazedo, I only corrected the problems as to why your file did not work on your device. I have since had a chance to upload it to my device and I can see you do not have the time placed correctly on the homescreen, I have modified this in the enclosed file below. If you check with your original you can see I have changed the time to:

Cheers..looby ;)

Nazedo.home.zip

• 4 weeks later...
Hi nazedo, I only corrected the problems as to why your file did not work on your device. I have since had a chance to upload it to my device and I can see you do not have the time placed correctly on the homescreen, I have modified this in the enclosed file below. If you check with your original you can see I have changed the time to:

Cheers..looby ;)

Thanks for the additional changes! My plan was indeed to firts get it working and then get the allignment fixed. What where the problems that caused it to not work the first time, you remember that?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest Fredstar

hey guys...First i wana say dude, you RoCk. Fo sho.. This is a great breakdown, no i just need to kno, cuz i aim modifiying a homescreen myself, and im a RoOkie <_< , But anyway, U kno that clsid="{837FC251-FE69-43ad-84E0-EBCEDEBA0884} ok , i have a shortcut on my homescreen, but i wana change the shortcut, but i dont kno how to direct it, the only thing im guess is that clsid!? ;) Don kno if u kno about HTML, but so to speak, for an image link,

U kno, Click on the picture and it takes you where u wana go.Would be www.mypicture.com

So is that how the clsid works? If so, How the heck do i get the addy for lets say the notes app?? :( So what i wana make happen is I click on the icon on my home screen and B :D :) M, it opens up the notes app!! Can anyone plz help me.....I got sumthing good here..

Thanks in advance :(

Guest Fredstar
Hey guys!

I'm a new owner of a SMT5600 that i got for new for free (I wish i was using a touch screen but ohh well)

Anyway I get my new SIM card tomorrow so I havent had the chance to test the home screen i've been making. I've done tons of research over the last three days and know what I think i'm going to need to have it finished tomorrow. Anyway I am running a Macintosh so can anyone tell me if they know of software which takes windows smartphone screen shots on OS X?

But I can give you guys a slight preview of what it will look like.

What do you all think so far? (now add smartmoniter ((miniSD memory capacity and battery under back wheel)) clock + date + carrier + wireless big space left of Ayumi, recently used apps on bottom most bar with profile the mini bar above it)

post-270624-1182831280_thumb.jpg

(thanks juni for allowing me to see such excellent code for guiding my efforts)

Also anyword on changing soft key colors? (i've not had the chance to try since i dont have my SIM yet)

Its coming alone nice.

Guest pjgwilliams

Hi all,

I've been editing homescreens. All seems pretty easy. I would like to put time in my titlebar. Has anyone done this before? I have seen a screenshot but unfortubately no xml code.

Thanks

Guest janneman88

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to change two things in the XML file for my new theme. (HTC s710)

Preview:

preview.jpg

- The red line pointing to number 1: How can I change this color or remove this black part? This is the part where the operator name shows up. In my case 'proximus'.

- The red line pointing to number 2: Whatever color code I try, I never get the gradient bar the way I like it. This is the code I'm testing for the moment:

<scheme>

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADRIGHT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_INTGRADLEFT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_INTGRADRIGHT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_HIGHGRADLEFT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_HIGHGRADRIGHT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_GRADLEFT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_GRADRIGHT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT" value="#000000" /> 

<color name="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHTTEXT" value="#fed868" /> 

<color name="COLOR_HOMETEXT" value="#FFFFFF" /> 

<color name="COLOR_HOMERULE" value="#FFFFFF" /> 

<color name="COLOR_WINDOW" value="#7A7A7A" />

</scheme>

As you can see, I'm trying to get that gradient bar in full black color. But I think I'm missing something here.

Can anyone help me?

Edited by janneman88

• 1 month later...
Guest Jayden0606

Maybe it's me, but I am unable to find the homescreens I create in the list... If I didn't do certain things like attributes correctly, would that stop it? Below is what I have... I tried the tutorial up there and failed, so I tried to copy windows simple and add to it... Can someone help me put it together and leave a spot for me to add the backround image:

I want the following items : Time & Date, same spot that windows simple has it, except, I would like instead of numbers to have the words (January 1st, 2008)

then...

Calls Missed (I would like it to disappear when there aren't any)

SMS & MMS

Calendar Appointment

All of this, I would like going down the left side with a blue & white theme...

Also the font, I would prefer to be Sylfaen, if possible or the cloest to it.

Please anyone, w4lly???

Thanks in advance,

S.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

DaChildProdigy

[email protected]/

Jayden Simple

Jayden Simple

Jayden minimal

Jayden sencillo

Jayden simple

Jayden semplice

Jayden simples

Jayden simples

Jayden Simple

Jayden simpel

Jayden eenvoudig

Jayden enkel

Jayden - enkelt

Pelkistetty Jayden

Jayden egyszer?

Jayden jednoduchá

Jayden simplu

Jayden jednoduché

Prosty - Jayden

Jayden Basit

Простой Jayden

Απλός Jayden

Jayden Simple

Calls:

SMS (), MMS ()

//the x/y places a "conflict" icon at the specified location

PROFILE:

Guest Jayden0606

P.S. I like it the way Windows Basic is, without the lines going across.

I would like the Date to be on the left side and time on the right, in smaller font.

The AT&T, if possible to say: Jayden 6.20.6

Thanks again.

Edited by Jayden0606

Guest Mikew07
P.S. I like it the way Windows Basic is, without the lines going across.

I would like the Date to be on the left side and time on the right, in smaller font.

The AT&T, if possible to say: Jayden 6.20.6

Thanks again.

This might be very stupid, however; the first time I tried to make one I forgot to save it as whatever.xml.

Guest Jayden0606
This might be very stupid, however; the first time I tried to make one I forgot to save it as whatever.xml.

Trust me, it's not stupid, I work for AT&T and see stupid things all the time... "Maam is the phone on?" and she replies, "Oh you're right, that was the problem."

Yeah, I save it with the same extension and that's the main reason I also copied the one that was in my BJ, to ensure it wasn't just me. The Windows simple that I copied, doesn't show up either.

Help!

Guest colin d

Hi Everyone!

My first attempt at a basic design; is attached below;the photoshop design portion.

Comments or concerns would be wonderful! :(

-Colin.

post-341147-1199760210_thumb.jpg

Edited by colin d

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TallLefty24

Ok, so I've tried this XML coding thing, and no dice for me :) I know exactly what I want, but I can't seem to get it to do it! lol. Here is what I want my home screen to look like:

TallLeftyHomeScreen.jpg

Whenever selected, I would like the text's background to turn white and the text to turn red. Also, I would like the voicemail to only appear when I have voicemail. Finally, if missed calls could pop up underneath the messages plugin whenever I have one.

I'll attach the background image if it will help. Any help would be GREAT!

post-346545-1200798987_thumb.jpg

Edited by TallLefty24

• 1 month later...
Final of X factor is on tonight so though I'd do something constructive. This is basically what goes through my head when making an xml and I hope it encourages other people to produce and share their homescreens with us. So here goes...

Example of Homescreen making

Firstly Ill show you how to make this homescreen....

240x320screenshot9vg.jpg

Its a simple little homescreen but I just want to show the just of compiling an xml file.

>>Beginning

Firstly, you must have an idea of what the outcome is going to look like and what plugins your going to include. So I sat there and thought to myself "I'm going to create a homescreen with a nice cartoony Santa at the bottom surrounded by snow and maybe implement a tree and presents. Ill keep this homescreen neat n simple so Ill only use the Messaging plugin, Profile plugin and Date/Time/Carrier plugin."

>>Plugins

Before I continue Ill briefly explain what a plugin is. To me, a plugin is basically a layer in the screen that when scrolled down/up onto the layer using the joystick, you can click and open it up(scrolling onto the Messaging plugin and clicking it will open up Messaging).

Some layers (eg// Date/Time/Carier plugin) cannot be selected and when scrolling through the plugins using the joystick you will skip this layer(ie... if from top to bottom you have the Message plugin, the Date/Time/Carrier plugin and then at the bottom the Profile plugin and you press down on your joystick when on the Message plugin, it will not go down and select the Date/Time/carrier plugin but skip it and select the profile plugin.)

Heres an image to understand the plugin layers in the skin were going to create...

xmlteaching8dy.jpg

Each plugin is specific to what it can display (eg// the Profile plugin will display what profile you are currently using. The Date/Time/Carrier plugin can display the current date and time and the network you are on.)

>>Creating Background

I tend to create the image (using photoshop) before the xml so I can fit the words onto the background image but others may create the xml and then create an image that fits around the words. Anyway heres the background image I created for this homescreen....

xmas0qs.jpg

Oh by the way, the background image will be 240x295pixels (as 25 pixels get taken up by the soft keys)

>>Starting the XML

Every XML begins with...

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<home>
The version if its firstly created will be 1.0 .. if you update the homescreen then you can change it to 1.1 or whatever. Once we have added all the colour scheme and xml codes we will close the xml with Next we add the Author, Contact, Title and Version...
<author>w411y</author>

<contacturl>[email protected]</contacturl>

<title>w411y-X-mas</title>

<version>1.0</version>
Inside the author tag will be your name(obviously) The contact URL can be a site or email address so that people can get hold of you with any feedback etc The title is what wil be displayed when you selecting the homescreen on your phone in Start-> Settings-> Homescreen Why is the version there again? Well I couldn't tell you is my simple answer! Anywho we then add the default settings...
<default target-width="240" target-height="320" font-face="nina" font-size="19" font-weight="bold" padding-left="5" padding-right="5" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="COLOR_HOMETEXT" padding-top="3" b-border-color="COLOR_HOMERULE" b-border-width="1">

<format state="selected" fgcolor="FFFFFF"/>

</default>
These are the default settings for evything in your homescreen. So for example, in the Messaging Plugin, if you do not say what size font to use it will be 19. Then we say what background image to use...
<background bgimage="Xmas.jpg" valign="top"/>
If the background image is in the same folder as the XML then theres no need to specify its pathfile. But if for example the XML is in storage/application data/home and the background image is in a folder called xmas in the home folder then your code becomes...
<background bgimage="Storage\Apllication Data\Home\xmas\Xmas.jpg" valign="top"/>
valign stands for vertical alignment. So the image is pushed to the top of the screen and as our background image is 240x295pixels it will fill the screen. >>Colour Scheme We then introduce a colour scheme. Well I'm simply going to show you an example of a colour scheme and show you what each stands for.
		<scheme>

<color name="COLOR_WINDOW" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_WINDOWTEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_STATIC" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_STATICTEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_HIGHLIGHT" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_HIGHLIGHTTEXT" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_TEXTSELECT" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_MENU" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_MENUTEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_GRAYTEXT" value="#CCCCCC" />

<color name="COLOR_GRADLEFT" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_GRADRIGHT" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_INTGRADLEFT" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_INTGRADRIGHT" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADRIGHT" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_HIGHGRADLEFT" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_HIGHGRADRIGHT" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_TRAYTEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_WINDOWFRAME" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_BTNFACE" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_BTNTEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_SCROLLBAR" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_HOMETEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT" value="#e80000" />

<color name="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHTTEXT" value="#000000" />

<color name="COLOR_HOMERULE" value="#C54E0C" />

<color name="COLOR_alertWINDOW" value="#FFFFFF" />

<color name="COLOR_alertTITLE" value="#444444" />

<color name="COLOR_alertRULE" value="#000000" />

</scheme>
The colours are Hex colours. If you have Adobe Photoshop then the code for any colour can easily be found out. If not then there are plenty of sites that can help you. Just make a Google for Hex colour codes. Anywho, heres what each stands for... COLOR_WINDOW Background color for all application windows and controls, including the transparent portions of the scroll bar stripes. COLOR_WINDOWTEXT Text color for list views, controls, and labels. Does not set menu text color, soft key text color, or button text color. COLOR_STATIC Background color for static controls, such as labels. Also sets the background color for message boxes. COLOR_STATICTEXT Text color for static controls such as labels. COLOR_HIGHLIGHT Color of selection for list views, controls, menus, and soft key buttons. COLOR_HIGHLIGHTTEXT Color of text when an item has selection, such as a list view element or a control, and highlighted soft keys. COLOR_MENU Background color for menus. COLOR_MENUTEXT Text color for menu items. COLOR_GRAYTEXT Color for disabled text, such as disabled menu items and soft key buttons. COLOR_GRADLEFT Starting color value for the background gradient. COLOR_GRADRIGHT Ending color value for the background gradient. COLOR_INTGRADLEFT Starting color value for the secondary background gradient. COLOR_INTGRADRIGHT Ending color value for the secondary background gradient. COLOR_HIGHGRADLEFT Gradient highlights are not supported. COLOR_HIGHGRADLEFT and COLOR_HIGHGRADRIGHT must be set to the same value. COLOR_HIGHGRADRIGHT Gradient highlights are not supported. COLOR_HIGHGRADLEFT and COLOR_HIGHGRADRIGHT must be set to the same value. COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT Starting color value for the title bar gradient. COLOR_TRAYGRADRIGHT Ending color value for the title bar gradient. COLOR_TRAYTEXT Color for the title bar text. COLOR_WINDOWFRAME Color of the dividing line between the main window and the soft key region, and the bounding rectangle around the scroll bar thumb. COLOR_BTNFACE Unselected background color for the soft key region. COLOR_BTNTEXT Unselected text color for the soft key region, navigation glyph and scroll bar thumb. COLOR_SCROLLBAR Color of the stripes on the scroll bar. COLOR_alertTITLE Color of the title text in an alert. COLOR_alertWINDOW Background color for alerts. COLOR_alertRULE Color of the dividing lines on the Home screen. COLOR_HOMERULE Color of unselected text on the Home screen. COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHTTEXT Color of selected text on the Home screen. COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT Background color of a selected plug-in on the Home screen. I do not like creating a new scheme for each of my screens so I use the one shown above and just change the red #e80000 to the colour of my new homescreen. >>Adding whats displayed Now we begin adding whats going to be displayed. I start my homescreens with the Iconbar. Why? Because Im used to seeings it there and it displays the essentials like battery, signal strength, bluetooth, gprs etc etc... So heres the code ...

<!-- Iconbar -->

<plugin clsid="{837FC251-FE69-43ad-84E0-EBCEDEBA0884}" name="Iconbar" height="0">

<background b-border-width="0">

</background>

<iconbar bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" y="0" x="0"/>

</plugin>
Every plugin has its own clsid. I cant really explain what this is because I basically dont know !! But I think its just a way the phone identifies the plugin. The height is usually how much pixels in height the plugin/layer is but in the iconbars case it takes up 25 by default so setting it to 0 basically means 25. The bgcolor is transparent so we can see the image behind the plugin. If for example it was #000000 then the background of that plugin would be black fgcolor being #ffffff means that the things displayed (signal meter, battery meter etc) will be white. Plugins use x and y co-ordinates to place labels but this plugin is a pants one to explain how they work. Onto the Message Plug-in....
		<!-- SMS/MMS/Email Plugin -->

<plugin clsid="{2F930BF0-6FE9-4a53-9E17-88E9247BAB48}" name="SMScount" height="65">

</background>

<label y="20" x="50" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" font-size="18">

<format state="unselected" font-weight="normal" />

<format state="selected" font-weight="bold" />

<text>SMS: <unreadSMS />  MMS: <unreadMMS /></text>

</label>

</plugin>
Before I continue, anything between does not get read and is used to help keep the xml tidy so you can see where everything is. Again you can see the plugin clsid and its name. You also see the height as 65. This is how tall the layer is in pixels (remembering the QVGA is 320pixels in height) Anything to do with this plugin (ie SMS count MMS count etc) can only be dislayed within these 65 pixels. the y co-ordinate (20) is how many pixels down from the top of the plugin that the text is displayed. If for example the y co-ord was 70 (which is bigger than the plugin height of 65) then the text would not be seen. The x co-ord is how many pixels from the left side of the screen the text is displayed. halign stands for horizontal alignment. fgcolor is the colour that the text is and font size is pretty obvious. If you do not put in the font size, then it will be the size of the default font size you put in the default settings at the start of the xml. The formatstate tags basically make the text bold when you scroll onto the layer so you know what your clicking on. You could also try changing the font colour when you scroll onto it or even the font size. Possibly a different background. You can then add your own prefix (I chose SMS: and MMS:) and then the and will display any new messages you have. Now the profile plugin ...
		<!-- Profile Plugin -->

<plugin clsid="{95976968-45D5-40c9-9779-2B859B1C2FEC}" name="Profile" height="70" >

</background>

<label x="50" y="5" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" font-size="18">

<format state="unselected"  font-weight="normal" />

<format state="selected" font-weight="bold"/>

<text>Profile: <profile/></text>

</label>

</plugin>
Same principles apply to this as the Messaging plugin Now the date, time and the carrier....
		<!-- Date/Time/Carrier Plugin -->

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" height="90">

</background>

<clock>

<time font-weight="bold" font-size="30" bgtext="transparent" halign="left" fgcolor="#e80000" mode="24" y="35" x="135" />

<date font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#e80000" font-size="17" valign="top" halign="left" mode="long" y="70" x="135" />

</clock>

</plugin>
Nothing much new here except the mode on the date and time For the time you can choose 12 and 24 for 12 hour and 24 hour obviously. For the date you can select short or long which will be dd/mm/yyyy or 17th June 2004. And we end the xml with... dum dum dum...
</home>

And thats it! Now when your saving make sure your not saving it as a text file. So change text document(*.txt) to All Files in the dropdown and name your homescreen *.home.xml . In this example it is w411y - Xmas.home.xml .

Then copy the xml and the background image into the following folder on your phone ...

Storage\Application Data\Home

Press Start -> Settings -> Homescreen and chose your screen (ensurign the colour scheme and background image is set to default)

And thats it !! Please correct any stupid comments I've made and feel free to add any tips tricks and info. I was hoping to start a thread where people can ask and find the answers to problems theyre having in making their own homescreens or editing homescreens.

Well good luck, hope I helped a lil

Hi,

Can you please explain me how to modify a homescreen plug-in?Say, I want to add new topics to the Getting Started Plugin.Can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Indu.M

• 2 months later...
Guest trissphone

ok this may have been covered but i did not see it

i want to know if anyone knows how to make a home screen picture fit like the default on the moto q

all other pictures leave a white (or colored ) space at the top. i was playing with leaving off the

bar with power and such. the default covers the whole screen whereas the rest leave this line

anyone know how to fix this?

• 3 months later...
Guest bks691

I have read this whole thread which was very helpful, However I still can't do what I want. I had an Blackjack I (SGH-i607) and now I have a Blackjack II (SGH-i617) I use the "Pop up" home screen layout. On the Blackjack I it was transparent. The one that came with the Blackjack II isn't. Can someone please help me make it transparent like the old one? Thanks in advance :D . Here it is

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Samsung Electronics

http://www.samsung.com/

Samsung Popup

Samsung Popup

Elemento emergente Samsung

Samsung Popup

Samsung - Popup

target-width="320" target-height="240"

font-face="Segoe Condensed" font-size="19" font-weight="bold"

padding-left="5" padding-right="5"

bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="COLOR_HOMETEXT" padding-top="1"

b-border-color="COLOR_HOMERULE" b-border-width="0">

<!-- Color of title bar and bottom menubars -->

<!-- Color 18 -->

<!-- Color of Highlight on Home screen and Start screen... -->

<!-- Color 78 -->

<!-- Cursor Highlight on the list, calendar, etc. -->

<!-- Color 78 -->

<!-- Color of highlighted text... -->

<!-- Text color of Menu by right soft key -->

<!-- Color 78 -->

<!-- Color of unexecutable gray text on the menu list -->

<!-- Can't notify any affectios of this color change...

-->

<!-- Not using in here..

-->

<!-- Colors of Gradations of Interval odd and even lines on background of several screens

such as Start, Call History, etc.

If this colors are changed, gradiated colored thin lines are displayed on the background...

-->

<!-- Color of Highlight on Dial parser screen.

If this item is disabled, the color of background if dialing box on dialing screen is changed

along w/ the color of COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT...

-->

<!-- Notification -->

<!-- -->

<!---->

<!-- Time & Date -->

<!-- HS Helper(MRU) -->

<!-- HS Helper(Message Count) -->

<!-- HS Helper(PIMs) -->

<!-- HS Helper(Storage) -->

<!-- HS Helper(SM Player) -->

<!-- HSPlugin Viewer Control -->

<!-- 0x0409:United States 0x0809:United Kingdom 0x0407:Germany 0x040c:France 0x0410:Italy -->

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have a problem with my edited homescreen. I edited one, and when i put it in application data/home, I can't see it when i try to select it from the homescreens menu.

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem ?

I tried to copy an existing homescreen, and just modify it's name, and still i couldn't see it when i go to settings/homescreens.

Thank you