Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Guest gu5tav0
This looks interesting.

So the emulator of the smartphone is connected to active sync? and you open the emulator in Visual Studio 2005?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The emulator uses Activesync just like plugging a smartphone into your computer. On the "Device Emulator Manager," you can cradle and uncradle the emulator: that is, connect and disconnect to Activesync.

Guest MattChan

I just created a Home Screen using this Tutorial! I think it looks pretty good for my very first try (I've only had a Smartphone for a couple of weeks!).

It's in the download section now:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=dscrip...tails&f_id=1523

Please give me some Feedback!

Matt.

Edit: Sorry the Screenshot is not actually a Screenshot, I don't know how to take clear ones!? Perhaps someone could try the Screen, and take one, and post it here? Many Thanks.

Edited by MattChan

Hey m8... Welcome to MoDaCo

Thanks for using the tutorial glad it was a success.

I would post a screenshot but I think its best you know how for the future...

If you make a search (On this site or Google) for 'Active Sync Remote Display' and download that. It will then display the screen of your phone thats connected to active sync. You can then use the print screen button to take a screenshot (ie Press print screen and then 'paste' into MS Paint or Photoshop etc. Gizza shout if you need more help.

Oh and nice screen... Bruce Lee's a legend!

Edited by w411y

Hello :-)

Is it possible to change the font colour on individual lines.

I.e. have the standard carrier plug in in white fonts, but the rest of the today screen in grey?

Guest gijsdvm

W411y thnx for this guide!

I tried some things and created my first homescreen ;) but it is still very simple.

Doesnt matter for me cause i like simple homescreens.

I only have my phone for a few weeks, dont have any experience with HTML/XML but with your guide i learned a lot! Thanks :D It was hard for me to find out what color is what, because im dutch and your color description is hard to translate into dutch (a dictionary couldnt help me cause of the technical language i guess) :D.

So this time i mostly used the Bliss.scheme which was already on my phone.

The Homescreen will be in the download section in a few days.

Any positive feedback would be great!

(i found the background picture on the internet somewhere, but i cannot find it anymore so dont know the original 'artist' to thank him for the simple design :D )

post-167607-1138136364_thumb.jpg

Edited by gijsdvm

Guest rizzles

Made my first homescreen thatnks to your guide, cheers!!

Just a simple one:

post-43898-1138186946_thumb.jpg

And also how do i add extra backgrounds for these screens??

post-43898-1138186912_thumb.jpgpost-43898-1138186968_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ryan

Edited by rizzles

W411y thnx for this guide!

I tried some things and created my first homescreen ;) but it is still very simple.

Doesnt matter for me cause i like simple homescreens.

I only have my phone for a few weeks, dont have any experience with HTML/XML but with your guide i learned a lot! Thanks :D It was hard for me to find out what color is what, because im dutch and your color description is hard to translate into dutch (a dictionary couldnt help me cause of the technical language i guess) :D.

So this time i mostly used the Bliss.scheme which was already on my phone.

The Homescreen will be in the download section in a few days.

Any positive feedback would be great!

(i found the background picture on the internet somewhere, but i cannot find it anymore so dont know the original 'artist' to thank him for the simple design :D )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its nice to see people using the guide and when your homescreen is in the downloads section Ill be posting feedback for you :D Nice

About the colours, check here...

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/color_codes/

Made my first homescreen thatnks to your guide, cheers!!

Just a simple one:

post-43898-1138186946_thumb.jpg

And also how do i add extra backgrounds for these screens??

post-43898-1138186912_thumb.jpgpost-43898-1138186968_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ryan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rizzles that homescreen looks very nice fairplay :D Nice background image

Extra screens require registry tweaks. These can be done manually using a Registry editor or automatically using a cab installer. A cab will do what you tell it to do basically. So you can tell it to copy files to a certain folder (such as putting an xml into the 'Home' folder) and can also perform the registry tweaks you desire

Edited by w411y

Guest rizzles
Its nice to see people using the guide and when your homescreen is in the downloads section Ill be posting feedback for you  ;)  Nice

About the colours, check here...

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/color_codes/

Rizzles that homescreen looks very nice fairplay  :D Nice background image

Extra screens require registry tweaks. These can be done manually using a Registry editor or automatically using a cab installer. A cab will do what you tell it to do basically. So you can tell it to copy files to a certain folder (such as putting an xml into the 'Home' folder) and can also perform the registry tweaks you desire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers, dont know how to do any of that... i tried editing the registry with something i found on here but didnt have any luck, as for the cabs can you point me in the direction of somewhere that has a guide on doing this???

Ryan

Yes :)  Set the default text colour to the grey and then when it comes to putting in the carrier do it like this ...

<!-- Carrier Plugin -->

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot for this! :D 8)

Guest Darkmarster

well thanks to this tut i now no the basics to making a home screen :) and heres my 1st ever

ss000.jpg

Edit ive used smart ss to take the screen shots but once ive taken it is there a way to turn it off to stop it when i whant to use the * button for some thing elses like turning on T9 in text messages?

Edited by Darkmarster

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leighnov
What sort of screen? Whats the res on your phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi wal im doin my first homescreen using ure tutorial its gonna be pretty simple because i dun have photoshop wen im finished ill upload it

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
Excuse me,

could anyone tell me how to change the date format into this "Tue, Feb 14 ,06" by using XML?

Is "Tue" not "Tuesday"!~

Thanks a lot!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there! Welcome to MoDaCo :)

You need to check some codes on your homescreen XML...

1. Open the XML on your PC using Notepad. Look for the date/time plugin section on the XML

<!-- Date/Time Plugin -->

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" height="31">

<clock>

<date font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#FFFFFF" font-size="11" valign="top" halign="center" mode="long" y="13" x="1" w="176" />

</clock>

</plugin>

Notice mode="long" ? That should give you a clue on what date format your phone will use.

2. Check the date format of your phone registry. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\nls\overrides\SLDte

I think the default value is dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy corresponding to Wednesday, February 15, 2006. If your XML reads mode="long" , then phone will use Wednesday, February 15, 2006.

If on other hand you wish to keep mode="long" but wanted to have a different long style date format then you need to edit the value of SLDte (registry).

dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy = Wednesday, February 15, 2006

ddd, MMM dd, yyyy = Wed, Feb 15, 2006

ddd, MMM dd, yy = Wed, Feb 15, 06

Remember to restart device for changes to take effect.

Some of the skins I am trying out have a problem with Tweaks2k2.net text. When the option I'm trying to tweak is highlighted, the font becomes black, and when it's not highlighted, it's white, what option do I have to adjust so that it displays properly?

Guest nmitr11

Hi guys

i have been trying to find a program or a plugin to show the call timers at my homescreen. Seems that you know a lot more than me do you think that you can help me and tell which plugin is for the call timers?

thanx