Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Guest w411y

Theres an update to the tutorial coming aswell as a plugin resource where people can get templates of XML for each plugin. I'll be sure to add the stuff you mentioned above ;)

Guest sepulcrum
Does anybody know the xml code to make the SMS/MMS/EMAIL plugin not visible if there are no new messages? I am not sure if it is even possible because whatever I try, it is still visible. I have tried copying code other plugins that autohide and still no luck.

Any ideas?

Fraid there isn't.

The orange plugin includes a function to do this but there isn't any way to do it on non orange devices at the mo.

Could you explain which auto hide code is needed in order to do that with the Orange plugin? I've tried a lot of things, such as "noSMS", "nounreadSMS"or even "unreadSMS=0" but it doesn't work.

Could you help me please?

Guest matamoros
Fraid there isn't.

The orange plugin includes a function to do this but there isn't any way to do it on non orange devices at the mo.

Could you explain which auto hide code is needed in order to do that with the Orange plugin? I've tried a lot of things, such as "noSMS", "nounreadSMS"or even "unreadSMS=0" but it doesn't work.

Could you help me please?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Zibsnis

Hi, everyone! Does anyone knows how to incerase the number of lines for calendar plug-in so that I can see not only the next meeting but meetings for the whole day or at least some?

Guest w411y
Hi, everyone! Does anyone knows how to incerase the number of lines for calendar plug-in so that I can see not only the next meeting but meetings for the whole day or at least some?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could use Facade which is an awesome plugin for what your asking or I think the following will work...

<!-- Calendar Plugin -->

<plugin clsid="{865A354A-4A96-4687-B001-C155DC0DBE76}" name="calendar" height="54">

<background>

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent"/>

</background>

<label w="177" h="16" x="59" y="34">

<format state="selected" font-weight="bold" fgcolor="#000000" font-size="16"/>

<format state="unselected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#000000" font-size="16"/>

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

<label w="177" h="0" x="59" y="54">

<format state="selected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#FFFFFF" font-size="19"/>

<format state="unselected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#FFFFFF" font-size="19"/>

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

Guest matamoros

There is also another stock plugin apparently dedicated to all-day events:

(I'm not sure why they had to break the calendar up like that, but fwiw...)

-m

Guest matamoros

Also, for what it's worth:

(Apparently distinct from the "calendar" plugin...increase the "height" value to whatever floats your boat.)

Guest Zibsnis
You could use Facade which is an awesome plugin for what your asking or I think the following will work...

<!-- Calendar Plugin -->

<plugin clsid="{865A354A-4A96-4687-B001-C155DC0DBE76}" name="calendar" height="54">

<background>

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent"/>

</background>

<label w="177" h="16" x="59" y="34">

<format state="selected" font-weight="bold" fgcolor="#000000" font-size="16"/>

<format state="unselected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#000000" font-size="16"/>

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

<label w="177" h="0" x="59" y="54">

<format state="selected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#FFFFFF" font-size="19"/>

<format state="unselected" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#FFFFFF" font-size="19"/>

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot! Facade is a great tool to start. I used it for for base options and then adjusted as needed with xml editor. GREAT!

Guest raybreak

W411y, one last question.

How do you get all of the screenshots from the phone when they are actually working? I may not be explaining this good. I have extra screens for Information, Questions, Errors, etc but do not know how to cause those screens to show up so I can take a snapshot (I have a snapshot program on my phone).

I have my cab created, everything is ready except my animation to show the screens... Woohoo!

Thanks,

Ray

Guest w411y

;) Take a look at my HomerSimpson screen or my XP Grass or FamilyGuy. There are various ways of getting the screens to show up :P Looking forward to it

Hello W4lly!

I have a quick question for you. How do I skin the start menu?

Thanks in advance ;)

=========EDIT===========

I found the answer here: http://www.modaco.com/QVGA_Extra_Screens-t236412.html

I copied the picture link regestry from 'HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:ErrorBox'

to 'HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:msstart' and renamed the path to the wallpaper I wanted.

The problem now, is that it hangs for ages on the mobile operator splash screen.

Is there a fix for this?

Edited by hs14

Guest raybreak
;) Take a look at my HomerSimpson screen or my XP Grass or FamilyGuy. There are various ways of getting the screens to show up  :P Looking forward to it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked at your other screens but they do not explain how to make the Error screen pop up for instance. I want to cause my phone to get an error so I can take a screenshot of my extra screen so I can make the animation that everyone sees on the download.

Thanks,

Raybreak

Guest w411y
I looked at your other screens but they do not explain how to make the Error screen pop up for instance.  I want to cause my phone to get an error so I can take a screenshot of my extra screen so I can make the animation that everyone sees on the download.

Thanks,

Raybreak

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you look at the screenshot for the named themes then they show to make error screen popup..... read wa it ses on the error screen.... I would check but Im on my device

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hyedipin

Hi w411y,

I did a little modification and I made the following home screen using yours and juni's theme and came up with this:

screenshot7dh.gif

You can see it here: http://rapidshare.de/files/19375082/w411y_...creen_.rar.html

I hope you don't mind. Let me know how it looks. If you want me to delete it, I will. I did this for myself because I wanted to have the recent programs on my home screen, and I like to see more accurate battery information. Maybe you can modify yours to get something with more plugins, because I could not have home screen scrolling, as it messed up the whole screen, due to the background.

Thanks again.

Guest w411y

Nah thats ok. Just if you upload it to any sites just mention my work and a link to my site would be appreciated ;) I've made Icons2 now (Its up on my site) I was going to put a large battery monitor on the bottom but didn't get around to it. Might do a v3 now :P

Guest hyedipin

OK, no I won't post it at many palces, in the zip your name is there already.

the only other places i posted this is at facade forums and hofo, that's all.

I like your wallpapers a lot, but I wish you put each line a bit closer to each other, so we could squeeze more information at that space at the bottom, or move the wallpaper down a tiny bit, we can add the icons to the top. There is too much space between lines, but other than that, great work. Thank You.

Edited by hyedipin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest w411y
this is seriously wicked stuff @w411y. ill try to make homescreens the soonest time possible ;)

:P Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

• 3 weeks later...
Guest I930-user

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question or not. I've got a nextel i930 and am having a hell of a time trying to edit backgrounds. What I want is to use the animated plugin so that background has some animation to it. I've downloaded a few .cab files of peoples work but havent had any luck editing them. The reason why I'm trying to edit them is because it seems like everyone I find, SOMETHING is missing from it. Whether it be the last call, email, or whatever. Then theres other useless stuff on there that I don't need like sms, icons, whatever. Or the time is in 24hr format. Always something. I have the home animation builder program but can't seem to use it to change the cabs that I download.

I only need the time/date (12hr format, long date), last call (perhaps more than 1 showing or possibly showing when last call was received/made), email count, battery/signal strength (more detailed perhaps?). Thats all I need to be honest. I don't use anything else like sms, calender, profile, etc. A nice waterfall, or aquarium animated background would be nice. Any ideas? Cause I'm stuck.

Guest w411y

Well if you have the Mad Beetle Animation tool it should be easy to create a homescreen perfectly suited for you. I dont quite understand if your asking for someone to make it for you or your having troubles using to MadBeetle tool?

Guest I930-user
Well if you have the Mad Beetle Animation tool it should be easy to create a homescreen perfectly suited for you. I dont quite understand if your asking for someone to make it for you or your having troubles using to MadBeetle tool?

Sorta both. I would much rather find out how to do this on my own so I wouldn't have to beg others to make one for me. I just need to figure out how to get the animated part out of the cab that I download, and into that program. I've tried all different ways and can't seem to figure it out. I grabbed some flames/fireplace animation from here I think but again can't seem to get that animation into this program. If I can do that then I could use the program to add the other stuff that I wanted onto it. I'm only interested in putting animated backgrounds on the phone. They are cool compared to ones that have no movement. I like moving flames, waterfall, aquarium, etc.

However, if someone doesn't want to explain but would rather just make one then by all means I won't refuse.

Have the time/date (long date format (month then day then year), 12hr time) in the center and in bold and slighlty bigger than normal. Email count and last call info on the bottom (more detailed last call perhaps or show last 2?). At the top detailed battery and signal strength. Buttons at the bottom are standard "Start" and "Contacts". Everything readable, sometimes the font colors don't stand out enough because of the background.

Thanks

Guest I930-user

Man this is so very frustrating! That animation builder program is not helping me any what so ever. I've gone to trying to edit the xml file myself and not having any luck there either. I just do not know how to add stuff properly to a xml file. That animation builder program just messes the layout all up and makes it worse than what it was when I started. Now I can't even get my phone to remove the program. It says "MadBeetle River could not be removed from your phone". So could someone please explain what I'm doing wrong or just make the edits yourself and post the new file here? I've got a few cab files of animations that I need to edit to my liking before I use them. Attached is one called "River" from madbeetle. It's a full screen animation of a water fall.

I would like the "nextel" (carrier??) to be removed. Then have the time/date slid up some to make room for the email count below that (set to far left). Then below the email count, put in the last call (centered). So there should be a total of 3 lines at the very bottom. I've spend several hours and can't seem to do this. That animation program screws up the animation thats going on in the background and I don't know why.

river.home.xml

Edited by I930-user

Guest w411y

Sorry, just noticed that the i930 is not a QVGA device... so the MadBeetle Animation Tool will not work with your device. You need touse Ruttensoft Homescreen Designer for a simple solution

Guest I930-user
Sorry, just noticed that the i930 is not a QVGA device... so the MadBeetle Animation Tool will not work with your device. You need touse Ruttensoft Homescreen Designer for a simple solution

I've got that program to. But it has nothing about working with animations on it. I'm just about to give up. It's taking way to much of my time and no progress at all is being made.

I was checking out your homer simpson background. Pretty nice. However, it appears to be for a qvga device which mine apparently isn't. Bummer. Any chance of making a non-qvga version of it? If so then could you add the last call plugin and change the clock to 12hr? The calender, tasks, and analog clock aren't needed (perhaps slide in some plugin for a detailed battery info in that area instead, if not then no big deal?) Thanks.

Edited by I930-user

Guest w411y

Havn't got a non QVGA device myself so Id be trying to do it blindfolded basically.

I got 2 weeks of exams left after that Im free to do shedloads so I might try it... you'll have to be my guinea pig