Wizard Wish-list

Guest bennish

Guest bennish

I thought this might be interesting... we all know there's always something we wish was a function in a device which isn't. (personally, i wish i could rip off the top buttons on the wizard and put them under the screen...).

Anyway, i thought i'd list a few wishes for the wizard. Things that *are* possible, i.e. through software, that would make it that much more of a pleasure to use.

* Torch/flashlight - To my excitement, the flash in the camera stays on, so can be used in blackouts (living in the country, this is important to me!). Also good for finding keys. However, what I would love is to map a button to this. At the moment i start the camera app then use my smudgy finger to select 'flash'.

* Keypad dialling - Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an app that intercepts keypad buttons for phone numbers? Like so:

Slide open wizard's keypad, and use the dot, shift, A buttons (down to the ok, C and F buttons) as the numeric keypad. example:

. shift A

tab Z S

win X D

ok C F

would be

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

* 0 #

if slid out to these buttons, it's not even far enough that the screen would rotate and annoy you, either. :) as for them not having the numbers on them... well i'd find that easy enough.

Now we just need to see if any geniuses can make things like this happen...

was thinking of making a similar thread as to what future OS updates could contain to solve problems that are either unfixable or done via 3rd party software.

not sure i agree with the numeric pad dialing on the thumbpad cos i simply don't see a use for it... to make a call you'd have to open the pad, turn the phone around, dial the number, hit ok, slide the keypad back in and turn the phone back around? surely using the onscreen pad is a lot easier for this?

and a torch function? just use a white image or something and leave the backlight on i guess. i actually saw an advert on tv where they'd sell you a torch function for the phone. i laughed a lot.

Guest bennish
to make a call you'd have to open the pad, turn the phone around, dial the number, hit ok, slide the keypad back in and turn the phone back around? surely using the onscreen pad is a lot easier for this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it seems that you've missed the entire point. You can ALREADY do that and i don't want to. The idea is that the whole time you're in portrait mode. I even typed out how the numbers would match up, if you'll look.

you slide the kb out about halfway, quickly type in the numbers, pop it back in and press 'call'. it in fact would be a lot easier than using the onscreen pad. how many times have we heard people complaining that they have to use their fingernails for it?

And yes, i have a torch application, but it seems ludicrous to me to do that, when there's a perfectly good torch on the back which i'm sure uses less power (one little led compared to an entire lcd screen with the brightness up and which will automatically dim itself unless specifically changed).

Edited by bennish

Guest TomaHawk
you slide the kb out about halfway, quickly type in the numbers, pop it back in and press 'call'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is especially good for lefties.

i can easily slide the keyboard out a little and press the start/OK button and this wont even rotate the screen.

to be able to dial with the keyboard with out rotating the screen would be awesome as well.

like the ID of a torch as well.