TomTom Mobile 5

Guest jem

I Had been thinking about buying this but my son was putting me off, moaning about the size of screen compared to his XDA2 and saying it didn't react quickly enough.

Can anyone give me their views on it please? I'd really like to know about;

1. Speed of use - does it keep up with you driving for example?

2. How easy is it to use in the car as obviously the screen isn;t that big?

3. Updates to maps - how?

4. Will running it still allow the use of a bluetooth headset?

Guest mcwarre

Its as fast as any other satnav

True, it is not as big as otehr satnavs but look at the price; I use it in conjunction with a windscreen mount s it is in my field of vision; no problems to date

3. Updates to maps - how?

Via tomtom like all other products they have

4. Will running it still allow the use of a bluetooth headset?

Yes, you can run both; the good thing being that if the headset becomes active (i.e. a call) then it automatically mutes tomtom so as not to interfere. Which is nice!

Guest larrygrayson

Its as fast as any other satnav

True, it is not as big as otehr satnavs but look at the price; I use it in conjunction with a windscreen mount s it is in my field of vision; no problems to date

How does the price compare though? I thought you had to buy the tomtom software and a GPS reciever? Those two items added together seem nearly as much as the cheap GPS systems u see in stores? How much is the software and a reciever?

Guest whitestar

I've been using my TomTom Mobile 5 now for a couple of months and have been very happy with it.

TomTom is generally recognised as being one of the best Sat Navs araound and at the price I think it's good value.

Thank you everyone.

Best price I could find was £190 or is there a better price?

Other option I suppose is Tom Tom One at £250 but which would allow my sons to use it in their cars also.

£190 is about the cheapest you'll find it. If you go for the One I would suggest buying it from PCWorld as they are currently offering it at £219

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked PC World - they are £249 or £259 with free TomTom One carry case. Same price online. Where did you see it for £219?

Guest awarner [MVP]

In the UK Halfords are claiming to price match if you can find the same product cheaper within 7 days and 20 miles of a store, even against trade outlets excluding internet and mail order companies.

That will be fun especially as their website has TomTom One listed as £279.99 in store.