New Game : Astraware's Moonfighter Review!

Guest ChrisJM

Guest ChrisJM

MoonFighter for Windows Mobile PocketPC by Astraware.

Moonfighter is a fun gravity-based shoot-em-up that challenges players to pilot their spacecraft around lunar terrains and blast aliens whilst collecting energy spheres to extend their mission time. Players can progress through thousands of Moonfighter levels, each one offering more challenging terrains and more enemy attacks.

This game is not yet released but we at MoDaCo have managed to get our hands on it early ;). It is set to be released tomorrow (Friday, December 30th). I have been playing the game for several days and to put it short, it rocks!

To start off with when you first load up the game you get a nice screen with a spinning rocket circling the moon. This gives you a great first impression and is just a taster of the awesome graphics that are to come.

post-3431-1135884123_thumb.gif

There is a similar background on the menu screen. The menu is easy to use and requires a stylus it has five options. Moon Acadamy, Moonblaster, Infinite Moons, Space Aces and options.

The Moon Academy is basically like for basic training, you have the option of doing orientation or training missions including piloting, combat and much more which I will explain in more detail later.

The Moonblaster is a single mission where you have the option of selecting the difficulty from Cadet, Rookie, Pilot, Veteran and Ace. All involve orienteering around the moon and shooting obstacles that are trying to stop you from completing your mission.

post-3431-1135884288_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884989_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884392_thumb.gif

Infinite Moons seems to be similar to the Moonblaster although I have not yet played this option properly yet.

Space Aces is just a list of the high scores.

The Options menu consists of 4 options, Sound Volume, Game Speed, About and Controls.

post-3431-1135884509_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884595_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884468_thumb.gif

In the Moon Aademy you have the option of looking at “Earth needs you!” which is basically a briefing of your mission. You can then either do orientation which is like a practice mode. The main part of the moon academy is the training missions.

In the Training missions there are seven missions leading up to the eighth mission which is the final exams. The missions go from the basic piloting and combat to missiles and G-Weapons.

post-3431-1135884669_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884690_thumb.gif

The Moon Blaster and Infinite moons are very similar and are basically just missions where you have to orienteer round and kill any enemies. You also have to pick up energy balls to give you energy.

post-3431-1135884718_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884743_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884784_thumb.gif post-3431-1135884800_thumb.gif

Game summary

As you can see this game has a lot to do, and doesn’t get boring however much you play it! The overall gameplay is quite difficult to get used to but the controls will differ from device to device and others may find it easier than I did. The game will last, as there are plenty of missions. I think this is a game that will be on peoples devices for a long time. The graphics are very good as you can see for yourself.

This Game is due for release 30th December. You can find information about it here and is priced at $19.95 but there will be a discount on release. Check the availability for that on the site.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.