What size miniSD to buy?

Guest bsterngillet

Guest bsterngillet

I'm a bit short of cash at the mo, but need a miniSD.

I don't want to put any music/videos on it, so just need it for TomTom, including maps of UK, Europe, US and Canada, a few Word files and a couple of programs/games.

What size should I get? 256 would be too little, wouldn't it? But I don't need 1GB, do I? Kind of leaning towards 512 but just wanted some advice.

Cheers.

Guest TomaHawk
I'm a bit short of cash at the mo, but need a miniSD.

I don't want to put any music/videos on it, so just need it for TomTom, including maps of UK,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you need all those maps on it at once its gonna have to be preety big.

but if your gonna change maps depending on the continent your in i think 512 should be ok but dont quote me on it.

you not going to be able to store maps for all those places on a 1 gig card let alone 512

uk takes up about 100 meg so if you willing to change get 256 and save the money

ive got a gig can say i use all of it all the time but i find the extra space very useful

Guest mcwarre

Tomtom takes 127MB standard uk installation; due to sd card limitations (file size) then you would need a 256 at least. If cash is an issue get the 512mb not the 1GB

Guest DeanoSMB

I've just upgraded from 512mb to 2gb and it means I can store 500 songs on the thing... a PDA, phone and MP3 player all in one by 2006! Well done HTC I say...

Guest scott2eyes

The same as with anything computer related- go for the biggest you can afford, but be ready to face the fact that whatever you get will cost half as much in 6 months time.

(Speaking as someone who bought a 128Mb MMC card for my MPx200 for £45...)

Guest davidjp
the bigger, the better. 8)

2gb mini sd  :D from mobymemory. excellent service too. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moby memeory are spot on. If you get their own branded card, you get a nifty little adaptor to turn your old miniSD card into a USB pen drive.

Guest battletank

I've had interesting problems with miniSD cards, or perhaps I've just been unlucky.

I've had 1Gb and 512Mb cards manufactured by SanDisk. In both cases, the card stopped working whilst in my Wizard after a couple of weeks. No amount of loving will restore them, either in my phone or in any other devices.

I've now had a KingMax 512Mb in my phone for a couple of months with no problems at all.

As I said before, perhaps I've been unlucky, but I know I won't be buying SanDisk products any more.

Guest bsterngillet
I've had interesting problems with miniSD cards, or perhaps I've just been unlucky.

I've had 1Gb and 512Mb cards manufactured by SanDisk.  In both cases, the card stopped working whilst in my Wizard after a couple of weeks.  No amount of loving will restore them, either in my phone or in any other devices.

I've now had a KingMax 512Mb in my phone for a couple of months with no problems at all.

As I said before, perhaps I've been unlucky, but I know I won't be buying SanDisk products any more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heard a lot of bad things about SanDisk cards on this and other forums (incl. XDA-DEV). I bought one before I read all the negatives, but, luckily, they had another brand in so sent me that one instead!

had a sandisk card in my vario for nearly 2 months and had no problems with it

the only problem was with the vario

for some reason i took the card out while it was running and put it back in the wrong way, took it out again and put it back the right way, it recognised the card as storage card 2 and non of my programs worked !??!

had to delete the storage card 1 folder on the vario and rename the storage card 2 folder.

appart from that its been excellent