SP5: how to tell EDGE vs GPRS? Only G on indicator

Guest eieioNY

Guest eieioNY

Hi!

I just got an I-Mate SP5 and was told that TMobile has EDGE here in manhattan. i can't tell because the phone only says G for EITHER GPRS or EDGE.

I know someone posted a tweak but is there a way to even find out or indicate whether i'm on EDGE or GPRS? i find that using Internet Explorer is VERY slow and i thought that EDGE is supposed to be significantly faster than EDGE, right?

May I ask if anyone knows if TMobile actually has EDGE here in manhattan? is there a map of where it is available?

Confused...

Where would i go find this info?

thanks in advance!

Guest eieioNY

i know and saw that posted tweak.

changing the registry...etc is a bit beyond me, a total smartphone newbie.

i was hoping that might be another, more "established" way that is a bit less involving.

additionally, i was hoping someone would know how to find out about EDGE in manhattan.

thx anyway.

Guest lelliebunny
i know and saw that posted tweak.

changing the registry...etc  is a bit beyond me, a total smartphone newbie.

i was hoping that might be another, more "established" way that is a bit less involving.

additionally, i was hoping someone would know how to find out about EDGE in manhattan.

thx anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a Cingular phone, and it shows an E instead of a G out here in the Seattle area. Maybe there really isn't EDGE there even though that would make no sense. I dunno, just a random thought.

Guest duchski

thx anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you think about talking to T directly? I believe that's 611 from your cell phone...

Guest Funster

Well, I was in Paris over New Year with a UK C600 and all I got was the G. France apparently has full EDGE coverage but I didn't see anything to indicate this on my phone.

I also called Orange in the UK beforehand but gave up trying to explain what EDGE was to the guy on the phone :roll:. I think you may need a SIM update to enable the service.

Cheers

Funster

Edited by Funster

Guest alinkent

See: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=234230

Hi!

I just got an I-Mate SP5 and was told that TMobile has EDGE here in manhattan. i can't tell because the phone only says G for EITHER GPRS or EDGE.

I know someone posted a tweak but is there a way to even find out or indicate whether i'm on EDGE or GPRS?  i find that using Internet Explorer is VERY slow and i thought that EDGE is supposed to be significantly faster than EDGE, right?

May I ask if anyone knows if TMobile actually has EDGE here in manhattan? is there a map of where it is available?

Confused...

Where would i go find this info?

thanks in advance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>