Using the XDAExec as a day to day practical phone

Guest JohnMcL7

Guest JohnMcL7

Happy New Year all!

I'm still using a P900 as my day to day phone for a couple of years now (a record for me!), although I've bought various phones in the interim I've always come back to the P900 as it's such a solid, reliable phone. Being a bit of a gadget freak the XDA Exec has me tempted but I've found my X50V to be fairly unreliable as it often needs soft restarts, especially after using TT5. For my phone, I don't want to take it out of my pocket to find it's locked up, or something has crashed - in day to day operation, how have people found their XDA Execs as a phone?

Thanks,

John

Guest awarner [MVP]

I've not had a problem as such with calls or TomTom, I've not reset it as much as the Vario, but the only down side is it's a bit big as a phone.

At the moment I'm slip between the Wizard (tmobile vario) and the Universal (XDA exec)

Guest belfast-biker

I've heard you can significantly increase it'#s out of the pocket performance by leaving it turned on, and only have the screen turn off automatically.

Works for me so far.

Guest JohnMcL7

The Vario looks a very neat little device, much the same size and weight as the P900 but it's quite pricey (two thirds the cost of the Exec) and doesn't take SD.

John

Guest JohnMcL7
uses a mini sd however ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, but my Tomtom software is on SD (genuine), I'm assuming there are legal issues in copying it to a mini-SD. Although it sounds like I should be considering this phone further, in general it sounds better suited to my needs.

John

Guest Confucious
I know, but my Tomtom software is on SD (genuine), I'm assuming there are legal issues in copying it to a mini-SD.  Although it sounds like I should be considering this phone further, in general it sounds better suited to my needs.

John

Check with TomTom but they sell it for the C500 on SD and you have to copy it on to a mini SD (so I believe)

The Vario (HTC Wizard) is a nice phone but 3G and the bigger scteen mean it's the Universal all the way for me.

Horses for courses and all that.

Good luck ;)

Guest JohnMcL7
Check with TomTom but they sell it for the C500 on SD and you have to copy it on to a mini SD (so I believe)

The Vario (HTC Wizard) is a nice phone but 3G and the bigger scteen mean it's the Universal all the way for me.

Horses for courses and all that.

Good luck ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 640x480 screen is definitely one of the main factors for me, I'm currently using an X50V for my PDA so I don't know if I could go back down to 320x240 on the Vario.

John

Guest gibbo_ap
I know, but my Tomtom software is on SD (genuine), I'm assuming there are legal issues in copying it to a mini-SD.  Although it sounds like I should be considering this phone further, in general it sounds better suited to my needs.

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it should be jus the same a copying CDs if you have the orignal you can copy CDs legally as a back up. So i guess the same would be true for the SD-MiniSD or what ever media you use.

Guest Confucious
it should be jus the same a copying CDs if you have the orignal you can copy CDs legally as a back up. So i guess the same would be true for the SD-MiniSD or what ever media you use.

Why? The rules governing what you can and can't do with software are governed by the EULA and nothing to do with music.

Just because you can make a backup of your music does not automatically mean you can of your software. The EULA will vary from software to software.

I don't think there is a problem but to be on the safe side you should ask TomTom (or read the EULA but who ever does that? ;))

Guest timmillwood

i did get the MDA Vario and sent it back because of poor reception on T-mobile, i was going to get the SPV M5000 but there was none in stock, then i though WHY THE HELL DO I WANT A MICROSOFT PHONE!!

So i am now thinking Palm 650 or Nokia N80

Guest Confucious
then i though WHY THE HELL DO I WANT A MICROSOFT PHONE!!

If you just want a phone or a toy get something else. If you want a mobile computer and something that does just about everything you could want then get a MS phone - the choice is yours. I know what I want ;)