M5000 Connected to GPRS Automatically!

Guest eggedd2k

Guest eggedd2k

we're in a dispute with orange over this. our bill is showing that one m5000 user on our account downloaded 242 megabytes worth of gprs data - in the middle of the night. we called orange to find out what was going on and apparently the phone was on at 1am seemingly "checking for something every minute". I friend of mine (on O2) who had the o2 xda also had the same problem.

we're obviously in dispute with orange about this - how can they release a phone that can connect to the internet automatically?

we're in a dispute with orange over this.  our bill is showing that one m5000 user on our account downloaded 242 megabytes worth of gprs data - in the middle of the night. we called orange to find out what was going on and apparently the phone was on at 1am seemingly "checking for something every minute".  I friend of mine (on O2) who had the o2 xda also had the same problem.

we're obviously in dispute with orange about this - how can they release a phone that can connect to the internet automatically?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Was email setup on this device? if so, it could be that it was set to check emails automatically every so often, and possibly to download whole messages (potentially loads of data), instead of headers.

Guest Confucious

3G accounts have 1Gb data free for the first 3 months anyway.

Common causes of this are either email checking as mentioned above or new software trying to register itself / check for updates but this is unlikely to use so much data so I'd go along with OG - check your email settings..

Guest eggedd2k

nah I thought it could be that to begin with but theres no e-mail account even set up. I've double checked this. the only other software I've got installed is tomtom which doesn't have an auto update option.

it couldve been the pre-installed orange software - I uninstalled that a few weeks ago.

Guest JohnMcL7

This sounds a bit alarming, any progress on it?

I knew someone with a Treo 650, who had it configured to check for e-mail every ten minutes or something as he had plenty of available data on his tariff. However, he went abroad for a month and forgot to turn this off, came back to a 4,000 pound bill or something crazy like that. The worst part was that in all that time he only received ten e-mails!

John

Guest Confucious
there aren't  even any settings for gprs in the gprs section in control panel

Which settings are you refering too? GPRS and UMTS use the same settings.

How long was the 242Mb over? If it was by GPRS not UMTS it would have taken a very long time!

I used 64Mb of data in one month for all my email and browsing by UMTS - there are very few things thgat could use that amount of data -streaming video or radio perhaps? But even then it would take some time over GPRS.

I've just checked my bill and it doesn't distinguich between GPRS usage and UMTS usageand, like I said, you aren't charged fro the first Gb for the first 3 months anyway

How long a period was this data downloaded over?

Do you have a data monitor? Was the data inbound or outbound?

It does seem a tad strange.

Hope you sort it.