Pondrew reviews the MDA Compact II...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Moderator Team member Pondrew has reviewed the new MDA Compact II, the HTC Charmer based device recently released with little fanfare by T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile Press Office bothered to return my calls, i'm looking to feature a review of the Pink MDA Compact II, written by my better half from a perspective of migrating from Smartphone (MPx220) to Pocket PC for girls...

Watch this space ;)

You can read Pondrew's excellent review here... i've posted a teaser below!

P

The T-Mobile MDA Compact II has been out for approaching a month now and is presently the only incarnation of this device (the HTC Charmer) on general release. As a followup to the extremely popular MDA Compact (HTC Magician) the device has a lot to live upto.

The Compact II delivers what many Magician owners have most been craving, the latest version of the Windows Mobile operating system version 5.0. Added to which was an upgrade to Quad Band and the inclusion of EDGE. While the extra band can prove most useful to the modern world traveller, given the rollout of EDGE in the UK is far from certain the inclusion of this in the device could be seen as incidental.

Many people have been questioning whether the Texas Instruments OMAP 850 processor included in the Compact II running at 195MHz is able to match the performance of the original Compact's Intel Bulverde processor that runs at 416 MHz. They have also asked whether the upgrade to Windows Mobile 5.0 is really worthwhile.

What do I think after a month using the device? Read on to find out...

Edit: Forgot to mention that this device is available FREE on a £13 per month Web'n'Walk tariff... a fantastic bargain by all accounts! Details: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menui...bnwalk100_mda_c

Guest fluffcat1
Pocket PC for girls...

Careful - one fo the development team for Wallaby at BTC was an ex royal marine and he, er, "liked pink quite a lot". Ahem. But we didn't dare call him a (big) girl. Wonder if he went to work for the T-mob LOL....

Richard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.