Changing the C600's side-button function

Guest liquideagle

Guest liquideagle

I've had a quick search around, and couldn't see anything about this... so i thought i'd ask.

On the C600, there's a button above the volume control on the left... pressing it opens IE, which i find quite annoying.

Does anyone know how the button can be changed to open something else? I guess it's just a registry change needed... but i wouldn't know where to start.

cheers,

Luke

Guest looeee
I guess it's just a registry change needed... but i wouldn't know where to start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, you'd think so but no ...

...if you look in the \Windows folder you'll find a bunch of shortcuts called SHORT_blah.lnk and these govern what happens when you tap one of the buttons (the LONG_blah.lnk shortcuts are for when you hold the button for longer).

I don't have a c600 so I don't know which one it is for you (my 8310 button by the volume is called SHORT_POC.lnk). Open each of the files in notepad until you find the one that points to IE, then change it to be your app of choice.

oh and could you let me know which one it was too?

looeee

Guest liquideagle

cheers :D i've found the file called LONG_POC (and one called SHORT_POC, too) but when I copy them over to my computer, I can't open them :/ There's just no "open" option on the context menu. Double-clicking just complains about an invalid shortcut (obviously)

I tried another method... creating a shortcut from pimg.exe on my c600, renaming it to LONG_POC and pasting it into the Windows folder... but when I do, i an access denied error, asking to make sure i have enough memory and its not read-only etc.. :S

how did you guys do it? is it just my computer and phone being weird? ;)

*edit* ok I can open them in notepad now, but still, can't save them back to my phone...

Edited by liquideagle

Guest looeee
cheers :D i've found the file called LONG_POC (and one called SHORT_POC, too) but when I copy them over to my computer, I can't open them :/ There's just no "open" option on the context menu. Double-clicking just complains about an invalid shortcut (obviously)

I tried another method... creating a shortcut from pimg.exe on my c600, renaming it to LONG_POC and pasting it into the Windows folder... but when I do,  i an access denied error, asking to make sure i have enough memory and its not read-only etc.. :S

how did you guys do it? is it just my computer and phone being weird? ;)

*edit* ok I can open them in notepad now, but still, can't save them back to my phone...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try right-clicking on it on your pc and unchecking the readonly attribute. might help

looeee

Guest liquideagle

It won't let me... using the computer, the read only attribute is greyed out... and using the phone, it just says "File located in ROM and can't be changed".

:/

Ok i found the file, and i've altered it (to open WMPlayer as i use it more... but how how how do i seave it back to the phone memory?

app unlock? reg edit?

and in almost english terms if possible!

E:)

this kind of change could be pretty ;)

can anyone say how can that shortcut be replaced ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhm.. I only knew the answer to the first part..

Will try this as well, the saving part..

Guest PPCPassion
Uhm.. I only knew the answer to the first part..

Will try this as well, the saving part..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was able to change short_poc.ink on my QTEK 8310. Now, when I push the side button (top of volume buttons), it opens Papyrus (this is the program I wanted to assign). See the screen shot below. I tried copying the short_poc.lnk file to computer, chnage it and paste it back on the phone and of course, like everybody else, it did not work. I tried various methods but finally this one worked:

Using Smart Explorer (not built in File Mgr), go to Short_POC.lnk file

Click on properties, uncheck read only (and/or any other items that you uncheck such as archive etc.)

Now using built in File Mgr, go to windows>start menu and find the link of the program that you want to assign to the hardware button. I'll use papyrus for my example. Rename Papyrus link to Short_poc.lnk

Now go back to Smart Explorer (You can toggle betweek programs easily if you assign a speed dial to Task Manager), navigate to windows>start menu and find the file that you had renamed in the above step i.e. Short_poc.lnk. Select this file using edit function of Smart Explorer, cut (NOT COPY) and paste it on the main Windows folder. You will get this message, "short_poc.lnk file already exists, do you want to overwrite it, just click yes. Now when you press the side button, Papyrus will open instead of connection manager or IEexplorer (depending upon the device). Please don't ask me why you need to use smart explorer instead of built in file mgr because I really don't know. It was just hit and trial method and it worked.

Now, can someone help me tp find the link for long push of the same button. Currently it opens voice notes. I lloked under Long_POC.lnk but that link is for messaging/outlook????? Any help will be appreciated.

post-62844-1137367127_thumb.jpg

I have a cingular 2125 and I would like to remap the up and down left side earpice volume. I just cant find the short_... file or shortcuts. I also looked in the registry but at no luck.

thanks,

Guest Amun.hidden1
Using Smart Explorer (not built in File Mgr), go to Short_POC.lnk file

Click on properties, uncheck read only (and/or any other items that you uncheck such as archive etc.)

tried it and with my c600 does not work, still getting "File located in ROM and can't be changed"

anybody know why ;) ?

Guest PPCPassion
tried it and with my c600 does not work, still getting "File located in ROM and can't be changed"

anybody know why ;)  ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am pretty sure you need to decert the phone. This process allows full application unlocking as well as enable you to install your own root certificate. Just follow the process listed on the following link and as always, proceed with caution as a sinple mistake can make you hard reset the phone. Although, in my humble opinion, process is very simple. You may also want to check C500/C550 forum on Modaco as well as SPV-Developers website but the process listed on following link should get you going. Good Luck.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/xpworld/Blog...A!198.entry

I am pretty sure you need to decert the phone. This process allows full application unlocking as well as enable you to install your own root certificate. Just follow the process listed on the following link and as always, proceed with caution as a sinple mistake can make you hard reset the phone. Although, in my humble opinion, process is very simple. You may also want to check C500/C550 forum on Modaco as well as SPV-Developers website but the process listed on following link should get you going. Good Luck.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/xpworld/Blog...A!198.entry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same thing on my C600... Though, I think the explication is much easier than that. ROM=Read Only Memory right? That means you cannot write (or rewrite) files located there. Is that special, reserved space in the phone were the Windows is kept and from where everything is copied back when you do a hard or soft reset (to manufacturer's defaults). You cannot alter that unles you rewrite the firmware. For the phones that worked (other models not C600), it can be that the implementation of the software is slightly different than the one in C600. It could be that the Windows is copied to a location where you can also write. To avoid a question, YES, my phone is decertified (via both the registry way and I got also the official decert application from Orange). It is also "network free" since I've unlock it with the free tool provided by SDA_ Developers. Conclusion...even if I don't like it, it might be no way for changing the assignment of those buttons for the C600, only for other similar phones... And I hate this :-(

Guest MitchellO

You need to unlock the phone before it will work. I tried to do it before I did the unlock on my SP5 and it didn't work, but after I was able to change the shortcuts. I changed the Contact button (because I really need another one ;)) to Calender.

See this post on how to unlock the phone. Worked great for me!

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...48entry688648

Guest MitchellO
Same thing on my C600... Though, I think the explication is much easier than that. ROM=Read Only Memory right? That means you cannot write (or rewrite) files located there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they need to change that acronym as ROM is where all the user data is stored now too. This "Read Only Memory" is now the primary internal storage for WM5 devices, and is therefore no longer "Read Only".

Guest PPCPassion
You need to unlock the phone before it will work. I tried to do it before I did the unlock on my SP5 and it didn't work, but after I was able to change the shortcuts. I changed the Contact button (because I really need another one ;)) to Calender.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. It does work after you install root certificate or at least decert the way it says in the instructions. I could not change the short cuts either prior to following instns on that page.

BTW, we both provided the same info but different links to the same page :?:

Also would you be kind enough to tell me which short cut was for the contacts? I am also trying to figure out shortcut for the side button (same button that's being discussed in this thread) but with long hold. See right now, regular click on the side button opens Papyrus program (the one I changed the short cut earlier) but push&hold initiates Voice notes and I am trying to figure out short cut for voice notes.

Thanks

Guest PPCPassion
Its Short_AP1.lnk for the Contacts button.

Its really dumb that you can't change them like on PPC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks m8. If it was that easy, why would they call it WINDOWS Mobile ;)

Sometimes I wonder why things with MS have to be so complicated but I guess there may be a reason behind it beyond my comprehension.

Thanks again for the short cut.

Guest Potatohead
Thanks m8. If it was that easy, why would they call it WINDOWS Mobile :)

Sometimes I wonder why things with MS have to be so complicated but I guess there may be a reason behind it beyond my comprehension.

Thanks again for the short cut.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Just thought i'd join in as i am trying to achieve the same thing. Can't Find the Long Push shortcut for the C600 side button anywhere. So far i've got the following:

(Long_AP1) – Front Right Softkey – Long Push – Default = poutlook.exe contacts

(Long_AP2) – Front Left Softkey – Long Push – Default = tmail.exe (Start)

(Long_CAMERA) – Camera Button – Long Push – Default = Camera.exe –i

(Short_AP1) – Front Right Softkey – Short Push – Default = poutlook.exe contacts

(Short_AP2) – Front Left Softkey – Short Push – Default = tmail.exe (Start)

(Short_CAMERA) – Camera Button – Short Push – Default = Camera.exe –i

(Short_POC) – Top Left Side Button – Short Push – Default = CommManager.exe

There appears to be no Long_POC anywhere on the C600 that i have found yet. Long push opens voice notes but where the button is mapped is still a mystery.

Have fully unlocked phone but haven't yet attempted to Edit any opf the shortcuts. Does anyone know what would happen if I created a Long_POC file?? would it overwrite the current button Map. Thought i'd ask before trying as i only have one phone and don't wanna knacker it.

The search for Long_POC (sounds like a kung-fu movie title) continues..... :shock:

Guest Amun.hidden1
(Long_AP1) – Front Right Softkey – Long Push – Default  = poutlook.exe contacts

(Long_AP2) – Front Left Softkey – Long Push – Default  = tmail.exe (Start)

(Long_CAMERA) – Camera Button – Long Push – Default = Camera.exe –i

(Short_AP1) – Front Right Softkey – Short Push – Default  = poutlook.exe contacts

(Short_AP2) – Front Left Softkey – Short Push – Default  = tmail.exe (Start)

(Short_CAMERA) – Camera Button – Short Push – Default = Camera.exe –i

(Short_POC) – Top Left Side Button – Short Push – Default = CommManager.exe

The search for Long_POC (sounds like a kung-fu movie title) continues..... :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude, don't know where u bought that phone from...cuz' mine was bought roughly a month ago (c600 - Romania) and the above default links u mention do not agree with mine...

can't find anywhere Long_AP2 or Long_AP1, Short_AP2 or Short_AP1, wish i did to tackle the contacts useless button also...

Long_CAMERA and Short_CAMERA, i have the same...remaped them to short camera, long videocamera :)

Short_POC - this is the button above the volume keys corect ? on the left...normally it's supposed to be mapped to pocket IExplorer (mine was so)...i remapped it to smartExplorer :D What i did have for the conn manager was the long push of the home button (left to joystick), it's shortcut was Long_Home.lnk - currently remaped it to TaskManager :D

U mention LONG_POC.lnk - i personally did have it and it was pointing to Pocket IExplorer just as Short_Poc.lnk, but this one does nothing for me as it was the first i modified and it did nothing - my LONG_POC .lnk is currently remaped to Papyrus...but has no functionality apparenlty.

SO go ahead and modify them if u app unlocked your phone, you can always change back...or create a new link...just remember the correct name of the link :)

Guest Potatohead
dude, don't know where u bought that phone from...cuz' mine was bought roughly a month ago (c600 - Romania) and the above default links u mention do not agree with mine...

can't find anywhere Long_AP2 or Long_AP1, Short_AP2 or Short_AP1, wish i did to tackle the contacts useless button also...

Long_CAMERA and Short_CAMERA, i have the same...remaped them to short camera, long videocamera :)

Short_POC - this is the button above the volume keys corect ? on the left...normally it's supposed to be mapped to pocket IExplorer (mine was so)...i remapped it to smartExplorer :D  What i did have for the conn manager was the long push of the home button (left to joystick), it's shortcut was Long_Home.lnk - currently remaped it to TaskManager  :D

U mention LONG_POC.lnk - i personally did have it and it was pointing to Pocket IExplorer just as Short_Poc.lnk, but this one does nothing for me as it was the first i modified and it did nothing - my LONG_POC .lnk is currently remaped to Papyrus...but has no functionality apparenlty.

SO go ahead and modify them if u app unlocked your phone, you can always change back...or create a new link...just remember the correct name of the link :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I got the phone as UK orange C600, Root Cert & App unlocked it and flashed the ROM straight away with the NRE IMATE version. so that might explain the differences.

I couldn't see all the files until i set Window explorer to view Hidden & System files.

Yes, the SHORT_POC is the Top left button, but i can't find the Long push shortcut which currently opens voice notes - No LONG_POC File exists. So i'm hesistant to try & Create a LONG_POC file in case it conflicts with a shortcuts that already exists somewhere.

I'll keep looking for now. The long push on that button. has got to be mapped somewhere in the Imate Rom. :shock:

Edited by Potatohead

Hi,

I got the phone as UK orange C600, Root Cert & App unlocked it and flashed the ROM straight away with the NRE IMATE version. so that might explain the differences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the risk of being redundant, I have put a new Root Cert on my phone, actually a couple, but I still could not modify the POC link files. The Root Cert that I got was from Thwarte. Should I create one off of my own computer instead. And if so could somebody please point a link my way.

Guest jastorino
You need to unlock the phone before it will work. I tried to do it before I did the unlock on my SP5 and it didn't work, but after I was able to change the shortcuts. I changed the Contact button (because I really need another one :)) to Calender.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was able to get my contacts button changed as well. I haven't been able to get the long press to work on the contact nor on the email button.

Anyone get this working on the SP5?

Thanks