Well? Thoughts so far?

Guest mattmc

Guest mattmc

Okay had it for about a day and a half. I moved from a SMT5600 on Cingular and am trying the Treo 700w from Verizon. I've got Verizon for pc data connection and was wondering everyone's religious views on Cingular vs Verizon? (Keep in mind I've got service with both)

Oh yeah the phone...

So far I like the form factor and the keyboard layout is great. Never having been a palm guy I don't get caught up in the other holy war of Palm has sold out etc. I think they have done a pretty good job of adding functionality and one hand ease of use to WM5.

Only other thing I'm not reall keen about is the fact that when you close a program it stays running in the background. I'm sure we'll see a third party app to help with this memory space issue. Right now I have to remember to stop apps via the running programs screen.

Anyone else have one of these yet I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Matt

Ok someone has to read this? All the buzz around the 700w and mine is the only topic in here :-)

I really like the device but not sure about the switch to Verizon from Cingular. Can someone talk me off the ledge?

Is CDMA going to stay around or will GSM rule the world? Please help!

Matt

Guest Pondrew

GSM will rule the world :D

Nah, only kidding, expect both have a future albeit possibly short given the speed of 3Gs rollout.

With regards lack of posts, give it time. The device is extremely new and not many folks will have a) got hold of it and :D managed to discover the number 1 resource for Windows Mobile yet :D ;) 8)

Thanks Pondrew, I know its new and I do love my toys. I'm just not sure I want to switch to verizon from cingular. I know it is a question of the lesser of two evils :-) I just really like the device, but I also really like being able to swap my sim card around. Plus all the hassles of switching not to mention the money I'd have to expense :-)

And yes I agree there is no better site than Modaco for info and unbiased reviews!

• 1 month later...
Guest D-rated
Only other thing I'm not reall keen about is the fact that when you close a program it stays running in the background. I'm sure we'll see a third party app to help with this memory space issue. Right now I have to remember to stop apps via the running programs screen.

The easiest way I have found is to use the attached program. Go into you button setup and I assigned the Option + OK button to this program. Then anytime you have open progams and press and hold the OK button for a few seconds everything closes.

The attached program is freeware (so there is no problem with me posting it) and tiny (14K). Good luck.

I've had my Treo for a few weeks now. Love it.

CloseAll.exe

Guest dstaysniak

I switched a month ago from a Cingular Blackberry 7290 to the Treo 700w on Verizon. Biggest reason was Verizon offered a North American plan including Canada and Mexico and Cingular did away with theirs. I also get a full Verizon signal at home and office versus 1 bar with Cingular.

My only issue with the Treo was it freezing up on me. Since I unchecked the TODAY TMEOUT selection in the Today Preferences, a week ago, I haven't had the problem. I'm typically getting two full days without recharge and sometimes three. XCPUScalar has also seemed to make it a little quicker.

I did find that Verizon's wireless active sync was more hassle than just setting the phone to do manually check for POP3 mail every 15 minutes.

Guest dbaldwin

mattmc,

I too switched from Cingular and I couldn't be happer. The EVDO speeds are so much faster. I don't know about the longevity of the network but I don't really care. If something happens while I have the device I have to believe that Verizon would release a new radio stack and not stick everyone out in the lurch. If they don't make the switch during the lifetime of the device then it doesn't matter.

I really do love this device though. I thought my SMT5600 was great and I still have three of them but I forgot how much more usable a PocketPC device is than a SmartPhone. I loved the size of my 5600 but for the small increase between it and the 700w, I take the 700w any day. I'm just amazed that OTA email sync is so freaking usable! I really love the usability of the browser with EVDO. Pages actually load now instead of having to set my 5600 down for a few minutes while I wait for the page to be displayed.

I think it also helps though that this device, its wireless plan and its unlimited data are completely free to me. My company's paying for it so I'll help develop an offering and it probably skews my view...

That's my two cents and now I'll go...