Jump to content

M5000 urgent advice.. please


Guest bronksy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest bronksy

Exec office have now decided that they will do one of the following:

-let me change handsets altogether

-over-ride the replacement handset procedure and send me handset number 3

-have me send in my handset for testing

what should i do? I don't know what they will find if they test thet handset. I have suggested that they just take an M5000 and try and even get streaming video from the wap site on it, but apparently they can't do this.

Apparently there is nothing else that they will do unless I choose ont of those options and no one else has reported issues with the handset.

Clearly a lie, but anyways, seems like I've hit a wall with them.. they think the faults are specific to MY handset!

There is not a handset in review that comes close to functionality and i didn't wanna get a C600...so what do you all think i should do?

I have until monday to decide!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest fluffcat1

Ask them to get you an m3000 from Orange france? Or ( as my brother was able to do with Vodafone a few years back ) buy the handset of your choice offline, supply them with the invoice and get it credited to your bill.

Failing that, get another M5000 and flog it, then buy something else. Or swop it with me ;)

Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends. Will it definitely still have the same problem on the new handset? If so, then dont bother getting it replaced. Definitely don't give in and put the handset in for testing though, as what the hell are they gonna find, if it's gonna be a problem on ALL handsets? (I am presuming this of course, as I dont know the full situ).

But I know what you mean. I dont want to get rid of my exec (see my thread), but sometimes, the problems outweigh the amount of stuff it can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest philtech44
Exec office have now decided that they will do one of the following:

-let me change handsets altogether

-over-ride the replacement handset procedure and send me handset number 3

-have me send in my handset for testing

what should i do? I don't know what they will find if they test thet handset. I have suggested that they just take an M5000 and try and even get streaming video from the wap site on it, but apparently they can't do this.

Apparently there is nothing else that they will do unless I choose ont of those options and no one else has reported issues with the handset.

Clearly a lie, but anyways, seems like I've hit a wall with them.. they think the faults are specific to MY handset!

There is not a handset in review that comes close to functionality and i didn't wanna get a C600...so what do you all think i should do?

I have until monday to decide!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, I had the following 2 options:

1) Return unit for testing

2) Obtain a free upgrade to another Orange phone, but incur a TWO HUNDRED & FIFTY quid upgrade fee!! bloody cheek!

I decided to rip the f****** Orange ROM out and have never looked back!!

I am waiting to see what new devices arrive on alternate networks this spring then switch... I have had enough bull**** from Orange to last a lifetime...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

problem is cos i upgraded i'm still in contract now.. so i doubt whether i would get out of it.

I could try and get out of contract, but then there are no 3g smartphones on the mkt at the moment.. don't know how long i can hold out for something else..

should i just return it and ask them to credit me the 150 i paid for the phone and upgrade when something else comes out or just sod off to another network?

If i choose another network, I assume it's either o2 or Tmob..

I think T-mob looks the best.. any opinions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest fluffcat1

Nothing on the horizon with orange /3g/ smartphones? Ask them. By the time something is out on orange you may well be eligible for another upgrade aftter this one anyway if you're premier ( 9 months cycle ) as you've had it a while?

So giving it back and waiting is doing you out of an upgrade unless they reduce your line rental for that period.

If you go to the other networks with this handset you may well still have the issues you had with the universal from orange. Have you tried a different manufacturer rom on your m5000?

Flog it and buy a Jasjar to see if that's any better? Don't see what else orange can do for you if you've tried exchanges with them.

Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

just realised i dont wanna move networks cos at the moment they have actually made an error and have me for 2hrs free video calls and 1.1 gigs of data a month until 2099!

So.. seems like I send the handset back, or they send me (another) replacement. no point to this I guess 'cos it will have the same issues.. unless by some miracle the ROM has been updated....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was you, I'd personally ask for the next replacement, especially as you seem to have got a good deal there ;)

Just hope for the best I suppose. The exec I've got at the moment isn't perfect, but I just have to live with it I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest fluffcat1
just realised i dont wanna move networks cos at the moment they have actually made an error and have me for 2hrs free video calls and 1.1 gigs of data a month until 2099!

So.. seems like I send the handset back, or they send me (another) replacement. no point to this I guess 'cos it will have the same issues.. unless by some miracle the ROM has been updated....

They get roughly the same on ebay as a jasjar. I still think flogging it is an option. Or you could always sell it :twisted:

Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

i could sell it.. but then i'd have no insurance etc.. and i'd technically still be in contract. There isn't even a handset that I actually want.. nothing comes close in terms of functionality.. apart from the M2000 which I still have as my old phone..

mm what to do!

I think i may as well get them to send me a new M5000 if it's not a refurb and take it from there.. don't know what good it will do though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon you're doing the right thing to be honest, and just sit tight and hope the problem is resolved with the next rom update. still debating whether or not to send my exec back for constant freezing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Dogmatick
i could sell it.. but then i'd have no insurance etc.. and i'd technically still be in contract. There isn't even a handset that I actually want.. nothing comes close in terms of functionality.. apart from the M2000 which I still have as my old phone..

mm what to do!

I think i may as well get them to send me a new M5000 if it's not a refurb and take it from there.. don't know what good it will do though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bronsky,

Am in same position, am debating what to do as nothing compares to the M5000 unit. Orange say that they dont have enough complaints to warrant doing anything at all with the ROM so there is little hope in waiting for that improvement. Sadly having just travelled over new year for the first time in years without a full laptop, I am loathe to get rid of this thing as a data device.

My suggestion to you therefore is tell Orange to give you a single number contract, essentially a second sim on the same number for £3 a month. That way you can use your old phone as a phone, and the M5000 as a data device, which it is excellent at being. Then tell them to give you something like a RAZR which is ultraslim and light to use as your phone ;) . OK so very little of this is likely but its nice to dream

The sad thing is that the tech dept say they are receiving very few complaints as is the exec office, I can only ask people again to register their issues correctly with OCS and get it sent through to the tech dept and escalate their grievance to the the exec office. Else nothing will ever get done

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

good plan. Is the single number contract only for business customers?

I will offer to pay for the 3 quid a month and then see if they will give me a small phone.. perhaps I'll get a C600 or something like that.. then at least i can keep them both in sync?

what happens with upgrades if you have a 2nd sim?

Or should I get a 3g handset?

shame there isn't another windows mobile 3g handset!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think i may as well get them to send me a new M5000 if it's not a refurb and take it from there.. don't know what good it will do though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what happened in the end??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

well...it came down to the usual..no decent resolution...they finally offered..

-They would let me upgrade? (where to/what to) but this would mean starting my 12 month contract again

-The would replace my handset with a refurb (pointless)

-They even offered to terminate my contract and let me leave Orange (great customer care) but I wouldn't be able to port my number across because I would not be in contract?

-The 2nd Sim is a possibility but I have to open a business account, not an issue but they tell me I couldn't have data on my 2nd SIM, which I don't understand but anyways...

So i'm no better off. Stuck with the M5000 or change to somethign else, but there's nothing in the pipeline and nothing with the functionality of this! I just wish they would sort it!

So I told them I would get back to them. Should I get a refurb anyways for the hell of it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Dogmatick

Bronsky,

Mate push a little harder. This is what I have

Two phones on a talkshare, one is a Sony T610 and my phone which is the M5000 on a 1000 minute a month contract.

I got, two free Motorola Pebl upgrades without any fees charges whatsoever. Broke out of the Talkshare (as it is not compatible with SingleNumber) and put the M5000 on Single number with one of the Pebl's so that I can use it for data. All of this without even threatening to leave ! Though I have to admit being reasonable and never shouting at them... Also ended up with the phones on Business 700 and Business 200 at their advice as it will cost me less !!

OK so it worked they now have a chuffed customer who has the data device he needs and a phone that actually answers calls !!

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

Well...

The latest is..

I've changed to a business account so I can get single user and my beloved everyphone back..

I will then be able to get my old line 2 number out of quarantine..and have it as my second user number on my M5000..

BUT..

They won't waiver the 250 quid upgrade fee at the mo because I have 10 months left of contract..

However.. Exec office has agreed to send me a brand new replacement M5000...not a refurb. but thats as far as they will go!

I've been told that if i wait a few weeks then my upgrade fee would only be 100 quid.

However my nice wife has agreed to let me use her upgrade and i'll give her my K600 and she will get a N70 as the regular handset, so all sorted.

Basically I need to let the tarrif change on the 1st Feb to the business account, then I'll do my best to get the 250 upgrade fee waivered.. does anyone think this will be likely?

This way Orange 'care' will be on my M5000 and not the upgrade, so at least I will be able to get replacement handsets of the more expensive unit that is more likely to go wrong!

Any comments?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Dogmatick

Bronsky

Excellent good work, what's the score with the Orange care bit though, did they suggest that it would cease on the M5000? You should def get out of the 250 Quid, quote sale of goods act, fit for purpose etc... Also get the person at the Exec office to actually grab an M5000 and ring it - listen to how many rings they hear until the M5000 rings for the first time - and then tell you that it works well as a phone

If at first you don't succeed, bitch at the exec office

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest bronksy

Hey..

If I change my handset I have to give them back my M5000.

I have tried to tell them to get a handset but they tell me this cannot be done.

I am now left with the following options:

Get a new replacement M5000

Give back the M5000, and upgrade to any other handset I like, and get my 150 quid I paid for the M5000 back, and enter another 12 months.

They say that they will not waiver the 250 upgrade fee.

Any ideas? Trouble is they are offering me solutions to an issue so they are well within their rights, because they are getting me a new replacement handset.

Apparently because they won't accept all the M5000 handsets are not performing well they won't accept this is a case of bad hardware across the board.

How can I get hte upgrade fee waived?

So far it's looking like i will have to use my wife to upgrade her phone and then use that as my other handset. At least that way there will be care on the M5000 and also on the other phone.

Any ideas ppl?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Dogmatick

Bronsky

Let me get mine sorted, they are calling me back when there are some more pebls in stock, and be sure of the final deal that I am getting and I will be sure to let you know

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.