Whats the best deal for the universal?

Guest RickDawson

Guest RickDawson

I am currently on an orange online contract, which has long expired.

£15 per month inc 30txt 120voice.

£4 for 4mb gprs access.

I'm using a C500 which I got with my current contract.

60mins would be plenty of talk time (anytime any network)

Whats the best deal for getting a HTC Universal in the UK (I don't mind which network)

Edited by RickDawson

Guest Chumley
I am currently on an orange online contract, which has long expired.

£15 per month inc 30txt 120voice.

£4 for 4mb gprs access.

I'm using a C500 which I got with my current contract.

60mins would be plenty of talk time (anytime any network)

Whats the best deal for getting a HTC Universal in the UK (I don't mind which network)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, what I have found suitable for myself (will helpful pointers from many on Modaco) is an O2 Exec £149.99 with a 12 month contract at £19 per month inc. VAT for 50 mins (any network) and 200 SMS per month. Not sure on the T-Mobile Web and Walk offers at present although someone will fill you in no doubt - more expensive probably but inclusive of some rather decent data allowance per month.

Thinking very seriously on taking this (O2) offer up myself...

Just waiting on a response from the Orange Executive Office about a personal account SPV M5000.

Sorry for the long link - down to my ineptitude !

http://shop.o2.co.uk/shop/o2uk/jsp/handset...AGROUP&x=24&y=6

From what I gather the O2 Exec is likely unlocked from new. If you unlock your C500 (there were / are links on this forum for a free C500 unlocking solution) I believe a 3G SIM should be useable in the 2.5G C500 - well, I'll put it this way, there are several Orange 3G SIM people that have successfully used the 3G SIM in an Orange C500 phone. I hope this applies to O2 3G SIMs also ! This is handy if you intend to port your existing number and don't want to be fastened to carrying the Exec everywhere as your mobile phone.

Edited by Chumley

Guest Genieuk

I know O2 in the shops will trade in your old phone and knock around £50 off the price of the exec, but buying in the shop is more expensive (£229 i think it was).

Can you also trade in your old phone if buying online?

• 1 month later...
Guest RickDawson

What would be the best way to change to the XDA Exec O2 online and take my existing number with me.

Orange has informed me in the last statement that they will be raising my monthly fee to £25 and remove my text allowance, as I have been with them for 18 months.

O2 looks like a better deal to me.

I have set-up an orange email account, and forward all emails to it. Orange then sends me a free text message with the subject and sender.

I then know if I have an important email that requires attention, which I need to look at, before I get home.

Is there a way of doing this or similar using O2?

I managed to get Vodafone to let me have this phone (they call it the Otek 9000 but its real name will be a V1640)

I think the O2 is maybe a better deal, but remember you dont get free support, printed bills and vodafones network is much better (esp 3G)

It was £200 for the phone

£30 a month for 200mins xnetwork

and £60 worth of data or text messages (so 500texts at 12p a text or 25.42mb of data at £2.36p per mb, so 20txts = 1mb of data) ish)

Also all the minutes and texts roll over each month (good since im a random user)

If your on vodafone and want this phone ask them for a Qtek 9000, if they tell you it doesnt exist tell them to look in the busines section of their software,.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Danlance
I have set-up an orange email account, and forward all emails to it. Orange then sends me a free text message with the subject and sender.

I then know if I have an important email that requires attention, which I need to look at, before I get home.

Is there a way of doing this or similar using O2?

Me too - push email on the cheap 8)

IIRC, you do not need to have an orange phone to use the orange mail account with sms alerts - certainly this used to be the case a number of years ago - though I have never moved from orange - so I may be wrong :shock:

Guest RickDawson

I have since got the Universal on O2, and I have today had the handover of my old number (taking it with me from orange to O2) and the text notification of emails seem to be coming to me.

mail goes to the corresponding account, which is then forwarded to the orange.net email address, which used to the send a text to me on orange, but as I still have the same number on O2, I still get the text notifications.

I don't know how long this will last for though.

Guest xerxes
I have since got the Universal on O2, and I have today had the handover of my old number (taking it with me from orange to O2) and the text notification of emails seem to be coming to me.

mail goes to the corresponding account, which is then forwarded to the orange.net email address, which used to the send a text to me on orange, but as I still have the same number on O2, I still get the text notifications.

I don't know how long this will last for though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll probably find it lasts quite a while. I left Orange in 2002 and I am still getting various text alerts from them.

By the way, O2 has a similar email to txt service except that they send you the first section of the email, as much as will fit into an SMS, and you have the option of downloading the rest on your mobile i you want. It isn't free but it's pretty cheap.

Edited by xerxes