XDA Exec or SPV M5000?

Guest SteveG02

Guest SteveG02

I'm looking to replace my XDA2s with some form of the HTC Universal.

My main reason for changing is the 3G element, which Orange provides coverage for where I live, and O2 does not. One thing that puts me off the XDA is O2's insistance on putting the godawful O2 Active software on their phones. Do Orange force something equally inept on you?

Other than that, its just pricing, which I know is dependant on the contract you take out.

Any one have any preferences to handsets??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

My personal preference was the o2 version, as it looks better in my opinion.

As for the software, yes, Orange put crap on there aswell, but both can be removed, extremely easily, so no worries.

Afaik, the Orange one has more issues.

Guest scott_b

Haven't tried the O2 exec but got the M5000 two days ago and its working great! i agree with you about the software - i took the orange stuff off after the first 2 hours- and i work for them!! lol

But I honestly can say that the 3G for uk is better with Orange! But off course i would say that...

Guest FrankyG

My first M5000 died within a week..although I *might* have had something to do with that... Anyway.... Orange got a replacement to me the next day, the replacement has been great. As stated above, It's easy to disable the orange software and error reporting which speed the device up no end. Looks wise - well thats a completely personal preference. Orange 3G service has been good for me, good enough to stream music and video from my home PC to the M5000 using ORB - very nice.

However, the big problem is that us Orange customers have been given 3 months of 1Gb data usage...but after that....it's gonna be prohibitively expensive to use the 3G services on the normal tariffs. My first month I clocked up nearly 100 Mb. I might even consider selling my M5000 unless Orange are willing to give me a better deal on GPRS/3G. I guess you would have to consider how you plan to use the device, and factor in who gives you the most suitable tariff.

HTH

Guest scorpioninja

im not the smartest guy on the plannet lol, i Got the o2 exec fone 3 days ago

but i dont like that way i cant customise it how i want. any help with changing the software?

more like a Pc then a PDA?

Guest Confucious

I have an O2 Exec but use an Orange USIM.

In my ecperience Orange have much better 3G coverage than O2. With either phone I'd get rid of the customisation straight away but O2 is a lot better with the new ROM.

I would probably go with the Orange omnne for the coverage - first 3 months free data but like FrankyG says, it will be interesting to see what they do with pricing onmce the 3 months is up.

At the moment no one seems to know how much data people will use (T-Mob laughingly say 40Mb is more than you will need) and I think Orange is gaging usage wiyth the 3 months free. Let's hope they come up with sensible pricing after that as at the moment I'm using abut 70Mb / month and that iwould increase if free data remained in place.

Guest SteveG02

Thanks for your opinions guys, I've decided to go the Orange route purely for coverage. Let you know if I have any problems!

Change of plan, gone for the XDA Exec, it was substantially cheaper, although gonna have to be careful with data usage methinks!!

Edited by SteveG02