SKYPE Install HOW?

Guest drothwell

Guest drothwell

Hey guys, maybe one of you can help,

I have been tring to install skype (the pocket pc version) on my samrtphone - Qtek 8310.

I cannot get it to install, I def have the wifi version, I have tried it from both the pc, and using the cab file on the phone. Just says not intented for this device

I have also tried the hacked version on here, with no luck, same error message as everyone else gets.

Has andone managed to install the pocket pc version, and is so how?

Thanks

Guest Gomer Pyle

1. extract 000Skype.001 from the cab file

2. rename 000Skype.001 to skypeppc.exe

3. copy to phone and run it ;)

4. use for example pocket controler to select Sign In button

5. use skype 8)

more you can find here

Gomer

Edited by Gomer Pyle

If Skype for PPC infact works fine on the Smartphone platform, except for the "tap to loggin" thing, why dont Skype just release a verion for Smartphone without this?

Do Skype know that the PPS version works fine? Perhaps they need to be made aware of this, and also reminded that there now are Smartphones (Tornado) with WiFi that were practically made for VoIP?

Just copy the exe file to your phone and run it.

It seems to work ok for me, but none of my contacts were online, so I couldn't try to actually talk to someone. I can't get to any options, though. Do the default settings work for you, guys?

Btw, I assumed that we are supposed to run the "low cpu" version, so that is the one I uploaded.

skypeppc.rar

Guest Gomer Pyle

It is working fine with default settings :D

When I tried it few week ago, I was surprised that it is quite same as on my PC, it quite clear and not too much echoes and interruptions 8)

I can confirm, I also use the low cpu version

LarsDK: looks someone already post the file ;)

Thanks for the file, I have now succesfully completed a call to the echo service.

However I now have another problem, if I want to dial a number, I can dial the number but not initiate the call, what buttons on the 8310 do you press to begin a call to a regular phonenumber?

except, that you only have to do it once and if you download the program you are allready at a computer... ;)

besides the other program is really handy and have a lot of really nice features that you should check out in the trial..

Edited by LarsDK

if I want to dial a number, I can dial the number but not initiate the call, what buttons on the 8310 do you press to begin a call to a regular phonenumber?

Guest MitchellO

How I got Skype with the cursor to work was fairly simple.

First, use explorer to delete the shortcut created by the modded skype install, and create a shortcut to the actual Skype program.

The create a shortcut to cursor in your startmenu. Both shortcuts need to appear on the same screen, so put both in a folder called Skype.

Run Cursor and then using the cursor click Skype. You can then use it!

Actually SkyPE uses iLBC, so you need 2 GPRS slots to transmit one frame. However because GPRS is almost like token ring networks in some regards (think of it like 1 token per channel, and any host can posses more than 1 token), you are not guaranteed to be able to transmit in time to send or receive the next frame.

If you were guaranteed to get 2 slots in time, in both directions then it would work. EDGE will have similar problems for the same reason, although less pronounced because it doesnt require 2 slots to accomodate one voip frame.

This is exactly why SkyPE is never sugested to work over GPRS, although some users say they have got it to work, and this just confuses the issue. On an uncongested network it might work, but in the average case it'll be very choppy if it works at all.

Edited by kam_

Guest MitchellO
Question for those of you that have Skype working :-

Does the audio come out of the earpiece or speakerphone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It comes out of the loud speaker unfortunately (on not depending on how you see it ;)). It would be great if it would come out of the earpiece speaker like when using the phone.

I am not able to test it with the headphones right now, but does it still send the audio to the speaker with the headphones inserted?

And please somebody answer this:

Is it possible to call using skype out and dial a number on the 8310 running this version of skype? I can dial the number, but I cant begin the call, cant find the green button...

Edited by LarsDK

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I tried installing skype, it kept saying not enough memory space, before I could select the storage card as destination. Then I copied the skypeppc.exe (thank you) file on my spv c600. When I run it it locks in the EULA area. Any advice?

Thank you in advance