Back to "Stone Age"

Guest cold_fire

Guest cold_fire

I bought my C600 on January the 3rd .After onle 2 or 3 days it started to "act weird " .The phone started to "freeze" on a daily bases ,leaving me no choice but removing the battery in order to restart .

I went to Orange Shop and asked the guys out there if they had any problems like that and the answer was negative .I installed applications that worked on my C500 without a problem .I even hard reseted the phone hoping that the problem will disappear but no luck ,so i decided today to take the phone to the service . Now i am "back to stone age " stucked with a Nokia 3410 (and i personally hate Nokias) .

I was wondering if someone else had similar problems with C600 .

Here are some of the strangest things that happened with my C600 :

- my alarm did not rang one morning ,even if it was set to on

- several times it "refused" to get out of the display timeout state when pressing the left softkey button or any button ,actually no solution else than removing the battery ,the left LED was flashing green and when i called my phone .. surprise no sound but it was ringing as i placed it near my speakers and the network sound was there

- another issue ,from time to time it just refused to open any menu from the main menu ,for example when i tried to go to Settings ,it just did not do anything ,in this state removing the battery was not necesary as "Turn off" was working .

This are some of the things that happend ,i must tell you that the phone has it's original ROM and i have not done nothing in it's registry or so .

Thank you for your attention . ;)

Edited by cold_fire

Guest Disco Stu
    - another issue ,from time to time it just refused to open any menu from the main menu ,for example when i tried to go to Settings ,it just did not do anything ,in this state removing the battery was not necesary as "Turn off" was working .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you are so-oo impatient ! ;)

I've had this one and the odd freeze now and then. Pulling the battery is annoying but a nostalgic reminder of what it was like to own the first generation of SPVs ! :D :roll:

It's frustrating that you can't check what might be running on the phone before you remove the battery but, to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. I think WM05 is as much of a mystery to Microsoft as it is to us users. :evil:

You do seem to have more going wrong than me though. It will be interesting to hear what the service centre say when you get the phone back.

Guest cold_fire
Oh, you are so-oo impatient !  ;)

I've had this one and the odd freeze now and then. Pulling the battery is annoying but a nostalgic reminder of what it was like to own the first generation of SPVs !  :D  :roll:

It's frustrating that you can't check what might be running on the phone before you remove the battery but, to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. I think WM05 is as much of a mystery to Microsoft as it is to us users.  :evil:

You do seem to have more going wrong than me though. It will be interesting to hear what the service centre say when you get the phone back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the only thing they will do is replacing the ROM ... with the same one ... i guess .

I have 2 admit that C500 was more stabile than C600 .Thx for the reply anyway . :D

Guest cold_fire

Ok after 8 days i got my C600 back .The service guys said they've updated the soft and run a test .I do not know if installing the same rom can be called software update but so they said.The ROM version is the same i used when my phone was acting weird .So now i'm waiting to see if the malfunctions will occur again.If so the best solution would be a foreign C600 ROM or why not an I-mate ROM . ;)

Edited by cold_fire

Guest MitchellO
Ok after 8 days i got my C600 back .The service guys said they've updated the soft and run a test .I do not know if installing the same rom can be called software update but so they said.The ROM version is the same i used when my phone was acting weird .So now i'm waiting to see if the malfunctions will occur  again.If so the best solution would be a foreign C600 ROM or why not an I-mate ROM . ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't try an imate ROM on this as the C600 is a different device to the SP5, unlike the Qtek 8310 which is the same as the SP5.

- my alarm did not rang one morning ,even if it was set to on

- several times it "refused" to get out of the display timeout state when pressing the left softkey button or any button ,actually no solution else than removing the battery ,the left LED was flashing green and when i called my phone .. surprise no sound but it was ringing as i placed it near my speakers and the network sound was there

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you using Fizz Traveller 2.2 for the alarm? If so, did you leave the keypad locked in the evening?

This happens to me if I leave the keypad locked: when Fizz Traveller alarm runs in the morning, the phone locks (not even the backlight on when pressing the keys) and it doesn't ring.

If it is the same situation, it may be (as I suspect) a bug in Fizz Traveller, and we should let Nicky know about it.

Guest cold_fire
Were you using Fizz Traveller 2.2 for the alarm? If so, did you leave the keypad locked in the evening?

This happens to me if I leave the keypad locked: when Fizz Traveller alarm runs in the morning, the phone locks (not even the backlight on when pressing the keys) and it doesn't ring.

If it is the same situation, it may be (as I suspect) a bug in Fizz Traveller, and we should let Nicky know about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No i was using the regular alarm .

Guest trevormuk
Don't try an imate ROM on this as the C600 is a different device to the SP5, unlike the Qtek 8310 which is the same as the SP5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For information the imate SP5 ROM works perfectly well on the C600.

Much cleaner than the Orange ROM...

No conflicts or crashes :)

HTH

Guest cold_fire

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanx but so far it is working well ! :D

Guest MitchellO

HTH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoops! My mistake. I was confusing the the C600 with the Cingular 2125 :) That device doesn't have WiFi, and I doubt very much it would be compatible with the WiFi-enabled SP5 ROM.

Sorry about that guys, just got a tad mixed up :D

Guest trevormuk

The C600 doesn't have wifi - and the imate ROM works perfectly well.

I understand the Cingluar 2125 is essentially the same phone as the C600, and according to other reports can also successfully run the imate SP5 ROM.

HTH :)

Guest cold_fire

I'm sick of my C600 ! I'm beginning to think that i made a mistake when i changed my C500 !!! :oops: :oops: :oops: I bought my phone on January the 3rd ,on January the 17th i handed it to Orange ,it came back with a software update (i am not sure if it should be called update as the same operator version was installed ) ,the problems appeared even after the phone came back from the service .I changed my SIM with a new one .i used the phone with a different card or without it ,and no change .Yesterday i took it back to Orange ,what is weird is that i got an error "cannot start replog.exe" or so ,and after that "cannot start "settings" a critical component is missing due to low memory "(and the phone was hard reseted few hours earlier ,and it was empty ) i'll add screenshots in a new post . :oops: :oops:

Edited by cold_fire

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a problem with the phone's memory you should go to Orange and ask them to replace your phone. I think no software update or hard reset will make you phone work better. Sorry mate..

Guest cold_fire
I think there is a problem with the phone's memory you should go to Orange and ask them to replace your phone. I think no software update or hard reset will make you phone work better. Sorry mate..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the same ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cold_fire,

did you have any luck with this? Did you manage to get your phone exchanged, and does it work now? I am having exactly the same problems with my new C600:

Sometimes it will freeze while locked (ie in the display timeout state), and when I realize it the time is stuck at the moment it froze. The alarm will not go off either in this state. However the phone is still alive, and I somehow I managed to unlock it pressing various combinations of buttons! After I unlocked it I would get the "Cannot execute programXX.exe" message when trying to run anything though.

Guest cold_fire
Hi cold_fire,

did you have any luck with this? Did you manage to get your phone exchanged, and does it work now? I am having exactly the same problems with my new C600:

Sometimes it will freeze while locked (ie in the display timeout state), and when I realize it the time is stuck at the moment it froze. The alarm will not go off either in this state. However the phone is still alive, and I somehow I managed to unlock it pressing various combinations of buttons! After I unlocked it I would get the "Cannot execute programXX.exe" message when trying to run anything though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not changed it .It is not that easy .I installed the SP5m ROM and had no problems like that ,no branding no software failures .I do not know what to say ,try to get it changed . :cry:

Guest perigee

I am having the same problem with my Cingular 2125 as well! I got my phone a week ago. After leaving my phone idle for a while, it's just frozen... black screen, etc. Also, when I pull the battery and turn the phone back on, I get an error to the effect of "Could not find..." This morning, it actually said it could not find Fizz Traveller.exe.

What's interesting though is that I found this thread by searching for the keywords "fizz traveller" and "frozen". I've installed Fizz Traveller and am using a homescreen that uses the plugin. I set the weather forecast to update every two hours (got unlimited plan, why not... testing the battery life :) ). This is interesting because I had the suspicion fizz traveller was causing the phone to lock, perhaps when it updated the forecast.

It seems that most people having trouble in this thread are using some kind of alarm. Fizz Traveller has a trigger to run its forecast, etc.

I did a hard reset of my phone yesterday, but it didn't help since it was frozen when I woke up this morning. I'm going to now try uninstalling Fizz Traveller to see if that makes a difference. If not, the phone's going to have to go back to Cingular.

Any other ideas?

Guest cold_fire
I am  ..... Any other ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like i am not the only one who has problems ,but i have tried everything ,changed the SIM ,used another card ,used the phone without a card ,hard reset it but no luck .It now looks like the imate ROM works better .

I have bought CityTime Alarms and it works fine. I only use now Fizz Traveller for the weather updates, and the phone doesn't freeze any more. Still, I have problems with Fizz Traveller as sometimes it fails to update the weather. I've let the guys at Fizz know about it and I hope they'll solve the problem soon.

Guest perigee
I have bought CityTime Alarms and it works fine. I only use now Fizz Traveller for the weather updates, and the phone doesn't freeze any more. Still, I have problems with Fizz Traveller as sometimes it fails to update the weather. I've let the guys at Fizz know about it and I hope they'll solve the problem soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disabled the automatic weather update with Fizz Traveller... we'll see if my problem goes away. So far so good. I'll send a note to Fizz Traveller as well so they know this is an actual problem.

Guest cold_fire
I disabled the automatic weather update with Fizz Traveller... we'll see if my problem goes away.  So far so good.  I'll send a note to Fizz Traveller as well so they know this is an actual problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope that does the trick ...