Opera 8.5 beta is now available for Pocket PC

Guest Phil Lee

Guest Phil Lee

Opera 8.5 beta is now available for Pocket PC!

Opera 8.5 beta for Windows Mobile, Pocket PC

Get the full Internet experience on your mobile phone

Opera for Pocket PC Opera 8.5 Pocket PC beta version is based on the same core as the Opera 8.5 desktop browser and brings the full internet to mobile Pocket PCs.

The version is available for both WM 2003 and WM 5.0.

Opera for Pocket PC

Features

* Open URL with auto-complete

* Zoom

* Download

* Multiple Windows

* Navigation and history

* Bookmarks

* Landscape/Portrait Mode

* Full screen/ Fit to screen

* Pop-up handler

* Pad-lock icon on secure sites

* User preferences

* Context menu

Download it here.

I've just downloaded and installed the beta version of Opera 8.5 on my MDA Vario and it appears to work OK!

pocketpc.jpg

Guest chucky.egg

Is there anyway to change the default web browser though?

AFAIK you can't tell the device to always use Opera instead of PIE, which I found to be a real pain.

Guest Phil Lee
Is there anyway to change the default web browser though?

AFAIK you can't tell the device to always use Opera instead of PIE, which I found to be a real pain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I first started Opera it prompted me as to whether I wanted it to be the default browser. I decided not to have it as the default since it is a beta version.

Guest FrankyG

...and here's a couple of screen shots of Opera in action. I'm also using true VGA (search for Ozvga) so it probably won't look the same on a standard universal.

I've found it to be pretty stable,although it doesn't want to open if there's insufficient memory available,and wm5 doesn't seem to free up enough on its own.

post-1113-1137583887_thumb.jpg

post-1113-1137583967_thumb.jpg

Guest mattyduk

one strange thing it did to my axim,

I have a bookmarks.html page stored on the main Axim memory, which I use as my homepage in PIE.

I ran Opera but couldn't find a place to open this bookmarks.html, so exited opera and when I ran Opera again, set it to the default browser. Then from file explorer, opened the bookmarks.html, which inturn opened opera. However it didn't display anything, no bookmarks, text - nothing.

When I tried to run PIE and automatically open Bookmarks.html, it said it couldn't as one of the components was missing.

After I uninstalled Opera, it still couldn't open PIE with the bookmarks.html!

In the end, went back to a backup ;)

i am using it right now on the wizard and i really like the opera. the first browser for the pocket pc.

does anybody has problems with the scrollbars? sometimes they are just gone.

and is the function "fit to screen" the small screen rendering technology or is it not implemented in the pocket pc version?

Edited by holg

• 2 weeks later...

Great on my vario too, can now see more websites like autotrader.co.uk without having to use their poor wap version.

Why cant pocket ie display some sites properly??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Professor Frink

It's very fast on my Axim X50v and I like the small screen rendering on the vga screen, but it crashes a lot. I can't wait for the final version, assuming that they stop it crashing. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.