SPV 550 - SPV 600 What's the difference?

Guest Whitster

Guest Whitster

I have a SPV 550 and recentley read a review for the SPV 600. What I was wondering is what is the difference between a 550 and 600? I cant seem to find anything apart from the option to have the start menu as icons rather than a numbered list.

Apart from that what else does the C600 have or do different than the 550?

Guest Whitster

Really? I was sure I read it wasnt included.

EDIT: Click

It dosent say anything about it on the orange website.

EDIT 2: Just read through this review and it does outline that the only real changes between the C550 and C600 is the introduction of Windows Mobile 5 software over Windows 2003.

Edited by Whitster

Guest mini_man

oh god soooo sorry im in a different world!! i just finished a convo with someone about the sp5m which does have wifi :S anyway the only differences imaware of is that it has wm5

edit lol you beat me 2 it

Edited by mini_man

Guest spudboy
It also has a much better screen :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i thought they had the same screen? but the c600 isnt as recessed? arent the different home screens cos they have to be specifically for windows 5??

on the orange site they list the features of the 2 phones, i think they couldnt be bothered to list the c600 features? i guess that the 600 has most of the 550 features apart from the oh so stylish front menu page with the icons, another way to wear out the joystick :D my mate has the 600 and he is ranting and raving about how much better it is than the 550 (his last phone was a 500), i would still rather stick with my 550 till something else comes along without a bloody joystick!!!

c600

Bluetooth technology

downloadable games

infrared connection

Mega Pixel Camera

MP3 player

polyphonic ring tones

quad band technology

real sound ring tones

speaker phone

Video Messaging

wap

Windows compatible

c550

advanced colour gaming

Bluetooth technology

built-in camera

call divert

call waiting/hold

conference calling

diary

digital zoom

downloadable games

downloadable ring tones and screen savers

email

GPRS

HTML browsing

infrared connection

instant messaging

Java™ capable

Java™ games and applications

keypad effects

last number redial

Mega Pixel Camera

MP3 player

packet video player

Photo Messaging

Picture Messaging

polyphonic ring tones

predictive text input

real sound ring tones

screensavers

selection of games

supports Orange Music Player

tri band technology

vibrating alert

Video Messaging

voice activated dialling

wallpapers

wap

Windows compatible

wirefree™ modem

my mate has the 600 and he is ranting and raving about how much better it is than the 550 (his last phone was a 500), i would still rather stick with my 550 till something else comes along without a bloody joystick!!!

Quite right. If O had included WiFi like on the SP5m it might have been worth looking at. The biggest difference is WM5, which was eagerly awaited on Pocket PCs for its non-volatile memory and soft buttons/menus. But the Smartphone already has those anyway!

Unless you need quad band, the only advantage I can see for a 600 is future software compatability. 2003SE/QVGA is a bit of an oddball now and most developers writing QVGA software will aim it at WM5 devices. But there's plenty of life in it yet, and by the time the software dries up the 600 will be old hat anyway.

it has exact thesame screen, but the C600 has other softkey buttons and other start menu lay-out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the C550 wins on that one too, as it has more hardware buttons than the C600. And with gStart, you can have the choice of Icons or Lists in the Start menu too. :)

Edited by Metoo

Does the SPV 600 have bluetooth 2.0?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the Tornado's only 1.2 (like the Hurricane/C550). AFAIK 2.0 is only supported on newer PPC devices such as the Wizard and Prophet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simon11

I find that Orange have not moved on much in technology in the last few years. I am still using my SPVE200 as I don't see any big advantage in any of the later models. I find the screen fine for a phone and I use a camera for my photograohs as phone pictures are still crap. I used to change my phone every year but I must have had this at least three. It seems a lot better built than my sons C500 which is cheap and nasty looking. The faster processor does nothing for me.

When they bring something out worth upgrading to then I will.

Orange also want £75.00 off me to upgrade. A waste of time and money.

I find that Orange have not moved  on much in technology in the last few years. I am still using my SPVE200 as I don't see any big advantage in any of the later models. I find the screen fine for a phone and I use a camera for my photograohs as phone pictures are still crap.  I used to change my phone every year but I must have had this at least three. It seems a lot better built than my sons C500 which is cheap and nasty looking. The faster processor does nothing for me.

When they bring something out worth upgrading to then I will.

Orange also want £75.00 off me to upgrade. A waste of time and money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good post. I admit in all the clamour to have the latest and greatest, it's all to easily to lose sight of the fact that the current models don't have much more functionality than the earlier SPVs. Especially as Orange cripple the C600 by not including WiFi. For example, I can't see why the 600 gets such accolades from this site and the 550 gets slated, when the only real functional difference is the OS number :??:

So, what "technology" or "feature" would be enough to make you upgrade? Wifi? 3MB camera? 3G?

Edited by Metoo

• 1 year later...
Guest ralphx

Hi

I see that SPV 550 has wirefree modem.

Does this mean I can send fax from my desktop

using the SPV 550 as the modem?

Either via USB cable of wirefree??

HOW?

Do I need additional software?

which one?

i thought they had the same screen? but the c600 isnt as recessed? arent the different home screens cos they have to be specifically for windows 5??

on the orange site they list the features of the 2 phones, i think they couldnt be bothered to list the c600 features? i guess that the 600 has most of the 550 features apart from the oh so stylish front menu page with the icons, another way to wear out the joystick ;) my mate has the 600 and he is ranting and raving about how much better it is than the 550 (his last phone was a 500), i would still rather stick with my 550 till something else comes along without a bloody joystick!!!

c600

Bluetooth technology

downloadable games

infrared connection

Mega Pixel Camera

MP3 player

polyphonic ring tones

quad band technology

real sound ring tones

speaker phone

Video Messaging

wap

Windows compatible

c550

advanced colour gaming

Bluetooth technology

built-in camera

call divert

call waiting/hold

conference calling

diary

digital zoom

downloadable games

downloadable ring tones and screen savers

email

GPRS

HTML browsing

infrared connection

instant messaging

Java™ capable

Java™ games and applications

keypad effects

last number redial

Mega Pixel Camera

MP3 player

packet video player

Photo Messaging

Picture Messaging

polyphonic ring tones

predictive text input

real sound ring tones

screensavers

selection of games

supports Orange Music Player

tri band technology

vibrating alert

Video Messaging

voice activated dialling

wallpapers

wap

Windows compatible

wirefree™ modem

Guest Confucious

C500 was excellent

C550 was a wasted upgrade - QVGA screen but WM2003SE and the main buttons were fiddly little things and qulity felt poor

C600 was a much more rounded device. The screen was a LOT better than the C550 (despite tech specs being apparently the same)

I loved my C500, was disappointed with the C550 but the C600 restored my faith in SmartPhones and is still my spare device.

Just my oppinion, but still prefer my Universal ;)

[edit] Just seen the date of the previous post :| - it was about the 4th topic down in this forum today before my post so I assumed it was a current thread lol[/Edit]

Edited by Confucious

Guest moonshot
I

Apart from that what else does the C600 have or do different than the 550?

I've had both the c550 and the c600. The c600 is the better phone but both are now old and we should be looking at the c700; but there ain't one.

A lot of c600's have a joystick fault. After a while it does not scroll very well.