MDA Compact connectivity/com port

Guest robw

I have just bought a s/h MDA compact, when I got it if you plugged the charger in it would turn off and the indicator light went red :shock:

So I took it apart and the usb/charge socket fell out (is this common?), I re-soldered it to the board and everything seems to work ok, But I cant turn the phone off.

If you touch the power button once it turns the screen off/locks buttons, But if you press and hold the power button it just turns the backlight off.

Is this normal? or do I need to do something else? or Is it broken?

The other thing is-

I work on Hiab's for a living and we use laptops for diagnostics, but up until recently we used Hp jornada's running windows (ce I think).

Will the MDA run the software? its not a large program

And if YES then-

How do I plug it in?

Its off a Usb lead, can I just use a female/female adapter??

Guest Pondrew

Hi and welcome to the site.

Pocket PC Phones before Windows Mobile 5 (your MDA Compact is running Windows Mobile 2003SE) weren't able to be turned off. It's normal behaviour for a press of the power button to put it in standby and holding the button is meant to turn off the backlight.

The sync connector falling off doesn't sound good but as long as it still syncs since you soldered it back on hopefully you'll be alright.

As for the software you used before and whether it'll work on the MDA Compact, if the software was for Pocket PC then I'd be surprised if it didn't work. But having said that, not having the correct USB port may cause problems. Guess you'll have to try to find out...

Hope this helps.

Pondrew

Right after looking in to it a bit further, It turns out the interface I need to plug in to is a serial port, the serial to USB lead has its own software/driver to run on a pc.

Is this still possible??