Vario reboots randomly :-(

Guest bindaas

Guest bindaas
i didn't have to manually configure the MMS/GPRS settings.

once you have done the rom update it asks you for your phone provider and installs the extended rom items.

others seem to soft reboot before this happens....but i didn't and all is well...and my wifi still works perfectly and talks to my 802.11g AP straight away!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to try out the I-mate ROM. Can someone please tell me how I can go about it?

Guest zombiefly

EDIT:After 2 days of the i-mate rom, i've decided i might need to go back to the t-mobile rom. The phone has twice failed to ring. It lights up, but then is unresponsive, requiring the battery to be removed to reset. This issue, combined with the others mentioned is making my phone less stable than it was on t-mobile. I've refreshed the i-mate rom again and it hasnt made any difference.

hi. thanks to minty and woodshed, i updated my t-mobile vario to the imate rom.

i've written some instructions for the upgrade for a friend, i dont think i am allowed to post them here, so i wont ;)

i selected t-mobile uk while configuring the rom, however the gprs settings had to be done manually... can i post them here?

i have no problem connecting to my wireless g router with the i-mate rom, and the skype that's bundled with it works fine over the network.

I think i've found a couple of problems though. If you have the device set to standby after say 3 mins and leave msn messenger running, it can't wake up. It's happened 3 times today, all times msn was running. I'm still trying to track down the problem with this one (it never happened on the t-mobile rom), and i have the same software installed as i had before. Also, i am unable to use mp3's as ringtones now, and i could before using the t-mobile rom.

overall though, the i-mate rom appears to be more stable than the t-mobile, however it's early days yet and if i cant fix the coma problem then i may be moving back to the t-mobile.

Anyone else having the above problems? :??:

Edited by zombiefly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Syphon Filter

Are people still seeing this issue?

The vario i got a week and a bit ago just did it. First time i have noticed.

My versions are as follows:

ROM Version:

1.6.2.4 WWE

ROM Date:

11/15/05

Radio:

Protocol:

ExtRom:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lostboy42

My Vario used to reboot about 6 times a day but since I made a tweak I haven't noticed a reboot in over a week.

I friend told me his reboots if a call or a text comes in while its activesync connected and that got me searching.

Here's the change I made if you want to give it a try. It seems that the activesync program regularly tries to connect because of the exchange server feature. If you don't need the feature setup then do this to turn it off completely.

Start->Programs->ActiveSync

Select Menu->Configure Server

Set the server to some dummy value like 127.0.0.1.

Click Next and set a dummy username, password and domain (e.g. user, password, domain)

Click Next (untick all boxes), click finish.

Now Menu->Schedule and set both schedules to Manually.

I hope that helps resolve at least some of the reboot issues out there.

Lostboy

Guest travisb

Must admit my Vario is rock solid stable after installing the iMate ROM on it. And sooo much faster. No problem with Wi-Fi access either.

Guest adchaffey

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I occaisionally read this thread to see what everyone was going on about, but just noticed my Vario reboot all by itself for the first time. Well the first time I've noticed it anyway! So it looks like I'm an officail member of this thread now!

Considering installing the i-mate ROM but slightly put off by the issues zombiefly is having! What does everyone suggest!?!?

Maybe I should start a poll and let people vote for what I'll do! ;) :P

EDIT: Just rebooted itself again! Less than 10 minutes since the last reboot and without me even touching the phone since it last rebooted!

Edited by adchaffey

Guest Phil Lee

My Vario used to reboot a lot and wasn't sure of the cause. Since I stopped using OmapClock and have installed updates to the main programs I use (PocketBreeze, iLauncher and PocketWeather) it hasn't rebooted itself.

I suspect that it was OmapClock causing the problems since I stopped using that several weeks before installing the updated programs. Also I only overclocked my Vario very slightly, maybe two clicks up from the default.

I don't believe it is a problem with the OS, I think it is down to what apps are installed. Since WM5 is still relatively new, software authors are likely to find better ways of coding their apps which should reduce problems in general.

Guest adchaffey
My Vario used to reboot a lot and wasn't sure of the cause. Since I stopped using OmapClock and have installed updates to the main programs I use (PocketBreeze, iLauncher and PocketWeather) it hasn't rebooted itself.

I suspect that it was OmapClock causing the problems since I stopped using that several weeks before installing the updated programs. Also I only overclocked my Vario very slightly, maybe two clicks up from the default.

I don't believe it is a problem with the OS, I think it is down to what apps are installed. Since WM5 is still relatively new, software authors are likely to find better ways of coding their apps which should reduce problems in general.

The problem is I've hardly touched the vario in terms of adding new apps since i got it when they first came out!

In total, all I have installed is:

• Tom Tom 5
  • TCPMP
  • Wififofum
  • Skype (which i never use)
  • Total Commander
  • PHM registry editor
  • PMG 2

As none of these actually run from startup, I can't see how they can be causing the reboots! Unless it's something to do with my memory card as some people have been discussing!?!?

Guest w0mbat

I got fed up with the fequent unrequested reboots so went for and upgraded to the latest QTEK rom. Not only have the reboots stopped, but the phone is much more responsive. Well worth giving a go in my opinion. ;)

Guest adchaffey
I got fed up with the fequent unrequested reboots so went for and upgraded to the latest QTEK rom. Not only have the reboots stopped, but the phone is much more responsive. Well worth giving a go in my opinion. ;)

Has anyone considered writing an app that could log every time the device starts?? I'm sure it's not too difficult, but I've never developed for PPC before. Might be worthwhile to see when and how often it's happening.

Or maybe I'll forget that idea and just stick the I-mate rom on! Is it possible to revert back to the T-mobile rom if anything goes pear shaped?

Guest travisb
Or maybe I'll forget that idea and just stick the I-mate rom on! Is it possible to revert back to the T-mobile rom if anything goes pear shaped?

Yes, just download the latest (well what T-Mobile call latest!) ROM from the T-Mobile site and install it. Don't worry though, the I-mate install is a breeze. I certainly won't be going back to a T-Mobile version.

Guest adchaffey
Yes, just download the latest (well what T-Mobile call latest!) ROM from the T-Mobile site and install it. Don't worry though, the I-mate install is a breeze. I certainly won't be going back to a T-Mobile version.

Sorry to be a pain, found the club i-mate ftp area to download the rom, but just want to be sure I've got the right one!

K-JAM_WWE_1010903_106_10110_ship.exe ???

Guest travisb
Sorry to be a pain, found the club i-mate ftp area to download the rom, but just want to be sure I've got the right one!

K-JAM_WWE_1010903_106_10110_ship.exe ???

That's the fella

Guest andybarker

I've noticed my phone resets on a regular basis during the day. Have had the problem with two different Mini-SD cards in, fresh from power up and no apps running, etc.

I do notice that when it does reboot there is a dialog saying "close SmartsKey" - which suggests to me that software is still running in the background when the "reset" occurs (if you run smartskey when it is already running, you get this dialog)... so is it a real reset? I do hear the PC speakers do their bipping noise as the phone reconnects to the network - so something is resetting, but not everything?

Hi - i have a qtek 9100 and with the 1.6.7.1 rom it occ used to reset itself. Now been upgraded to the aku2 rom and it does not happen. It seems to be only a problem with the old rom's, have not heard of this issue with new aku2 rom.

regard mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andybarker
That's the fella

I have downloaded that file and run it, it shows the vario, but then says "INVALID VENDER ID", and won't go any further. Anyone got any ideas ?

EDIT: (10 minutes later)

Ignore me... why didn't I do a search first! Anyone else with this problem, look up INVALID VENDER ID on this forum and there are lots of answers!

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by andybarker