HTC Prophet / Dopod 818 Pro questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Paul,

Windows mobile devices are my passion... (cost me a lot of money... :roll: ) I'm owner of i-mate, i-mate2, pocket loox, i-mate sp3 and i-mates sp5m. I bought the last one 3 monthes ago and it's pretty new but yesterday I saw jamin ...and fall in love .... I ordered one from expansys and now I'm nervously waiting for delivery :D

So I would like to ask you how useful are these new buttons and do you use any hand recogniton software (bult in or third party).

P.S. Are you good in PGR3? :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

The new buttons make a HUGE difference... the soft keys combined with Start and OK make it a lot more usable one handed.

I also use VITO ButtonMapper to map press and hold functions (e.g. hold the Start key to return to the today screen). Doesn't work 100% right on the Prophet, but VITO are fixing it now. Free for MoDaCo Plus members too :)

I use Phone Pad for all my text input, but did use Calligrapher in the past.

P

PS No, not particularly good in PGR3, but OK :D

The new buttons make a HUGE difference... the soft keys combined with Start and OK make it a lot more usable one handed.

I also use VITO ButtonMapper to map press and hold functions (e.g. hold the Start key to return to the today screen). Doesn't work 100% right on the Prophet, but VITO are fixing it now. Free for MoDaCo Plus members too :D

I use Phone Pad for all my text input, but did use Calligrapher in the past.

P

PS No, not particularly good in PGR3, but OK :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for express reply

P.S.

If you send me a free copy of VITO I'll give you a free lesson in PGR3 :)

Guest ddieter

Paul, do you have Age of Empires for PPC and can you confirm whether it works or not?

Does anybody know the reasoning behind why some WM 2003 progams work on WM5 and some don't?

Guest Paul [MVP]

That seems to run on my overclocked 240MHz prophet.

I say seems to, because I don't really know what i'm doing :D

I've installed it, fired it up, started a game and got a dude to walk around... and it all looks OK :)

P

Guest nickcornaglia

I have a Jamin being delivered tomorrow. I was researching and debating, knowing how fickle I am with phones. I was going to wait for the HTC Muse (hopefully in July), but I broke down and bought one from ebay.

I usually buy from MadMonkeyBoy.com (US only I believe, very reliable and GREAT customer service) but I found one on ebay for US$50 less....and my bidding finger just clicked all by itself.

Wont sell my SP5m until I know I like it though.

Does anyone know when this device is going to be available from the UK networks directly? (as opposed to buying via expansys etc)...

I REALLY want one of these but I just cant bring myself to spend £400+ on it...its getting tempting though!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in a similar position myself. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Or maybe even a guesstimate as to when this might be?

Guest Paul [MVP]

I'm not overly convinced on the muse... 240x240 screen, 4GB flash memory (allegedly)... the Prophet with it's bigger screen, a 4GB SD and MSFP for A2DP Bluetooth Headsets will do me fine!

P

Guest chucky.egg
I'm in a similar position myself. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Or maybe even a guesstimate as to when this might be?

There is a specific thread on release dates in this area, but basically ...

Orange = April 06

Vodafone = "no plans to range it" (as at Feb 06)

T-Mobile = no word yet

O2 = no word yet

Guest nickcornaglia
I'm not overly convinced on the muse... 240x240 screen, 4GB flash memory (allegedly)... the Prophet with it's bigger screen, a 4GB SD and MSFP for A2DP Bluetooth Headsets will do me fine!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...but it looks soooo cool. And I bet it's SMALL and RAZR thin. :)

Guest nickcornaglia

By the way. Got my Jamin today. Nice and Small.

Sound quality on calls isn't all that great. I think I'm going to sell the SP5m and keep this one though. I'm all into PPC...AGAIN!

Going to update my sig and take some pics of the SP5m for ebaying! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest Sgt_Strider

I have a question. Since you overclocked your Prophet, how long does it take for Tomtom 5 to load up? Is it much faster than before you overclocked the phone?

Guest xizor

Hey there - I picked one of these up and love it! The only thing that is bothering me is that changing the text input method (block recognizer, keyboard, etc...) takes FOREVER! Like 10 seconds after I select it. Anyone else have this problem? The only net new software I have installed is MS Voice Command.

Regards

Guest nickcornaglia

Not sure if you have done this, and without reading the rest of the thread, Hard reset your device and soft reset when customization begins to prevent the ExtROM from loading. I never had a problem with that.

Also, download Tweaks2K2.net

Set your preferred input method in there and hide the methods you dont use.

Lastly, as much as I like SPBPocketPlus....I'm sure it causes memory issues and do not use it any longer.

Guest xizor

Thanks - I'll look into those!

So, has anyone found a decent set of replacement earphones, hands-free kit yet for the Jamin? The delivered phones sound good, but hurt my ears and the cords are as stiff as a water hose!!

Guest jimbouk

I have a Jamin. The call quality is better than on my M500 and the new rom seems to have cured the SD card issue and the input switching issue.

(I have pocket plus 3.1 installed)

Edited by jimbouk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest applemanthai

I have SPB Pocket PLus installed as well as a few other programs but my device keeps restarting.

It restarts on its own for no apparant reason.

It is also very slow and sometimes then phone doesnt even ring when I phone it myself from my landline and i have it in my hand!

I have SK tools installed and tidied up as much as I could.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

• 2 weeks later...